String Quartet patch on Wave 1

Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Italy

Re: String Quartet patch on Wave 1

Post by maxpiano »

Phunkfarm wrote: 26 May 2024, 07:10 OK after much research I came to the same conclusion that the Stage is what I need. Thanks for that. I got credit for the Wave and will upgrade to the Stage 2 as they have a used one for me at another store (GC).

Im a little confused as to how the multi-timbrality works with the three distinct sections (piano, organ, synth) and the twenty voices. For use in Logic, do the three Stage keyboard sections have any bearing on how I use midi? And if so, could I conceivably load say my string samples and patches into the 'organ' area and use say my midi ch #1 piano, #2 strings (instead of the organ) and say a #3 synth lead and a #4 synth bass for a total of 4 distinct midi channels using Logic for playback - instead of the mandatory organ area? or are the three 'areas' only pertinent for live performance layering and have zero to do with midi in a DAW environment?

I hope this makes sense. I want to use my Stage as a songwriting tool only and would need to access strings and piano at the same time for DAW playback if my song has no use for organ as I am assuming I cant have both the string and piano patches loaded up in the same area.

This part of the architecture makes little sense to me.
Answers to all your questions are in NS2 manual and here The Nord Stage MIDI Tutorial

PS: anticipation: no, each NS section is a specialized sound engine and can only do the job it is designed for, so Organ section can only do Organs, Piano section can only load .npno etc... As a general concept, have in the Stage is not a general multipart workstation a-la Montage, Fantom, Kronos and the likes. mind that It is a conceived mainly for stage/live usage in genres where normally all you need in each song (or verse/chorus) is max 1 piano sound + 1 organ sound + 1-2 synth sounds (see the video you posted as a good example)

If you are not OK with this then maybe not even the Stage is what you are looking for and Nord has no workstation in its catalog.
Phunkfarm
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave
United States of America

Post by Phunkfarm »

So to recap, when folks use the NS to write and record parts using Logic - They are limited to using the internal sounds within logic to write and arrange, then print the tracks later with the Nord. I get it then. Bummer. To be clear though, this unit is multitimbral for the three sections? That is to say the Nord will only allow all of the three different discrete N2 sections to fire at the same time via midi and also that if my Logic song needs to playback say strings and piano at the same time in my Logic sequence via N2, thats not even possible because once the piano is loaded into the piano section, theres no other place to load in the strings? I can simultaneously play three parts, one piano, strings or ep for instance in the piano section, one organ, and one synth part for a total three part multitimbrality for sequence playback as I go through the process of writing my music.

I also came across the fact that the NS2 can only use the 2.0 library. Is there an OS upgrade (2.14) for the NS2 that allows 3.0?
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Italy

Post by maxpiano »

Phunkfarm wrote: 26 May 2024, 15:24 So to recap, when folks use the NS to write and record parts using Logic - They are limited to using the internal sounds within logic to write and arrange, then print the tracks later with the Nord. I get it then. Bummer. To be clear though, this unit is multitimbral for the three sections? That is to say the Nord will only allow all of the three different discrete N2 sections to fire at the same time via midi and also that if my Logic song needs to playback say strings and piano at the same time in my Logic sequence via N2, thats not even possible because once the piano is loaded into the piano section, theres no other place to load in the strings? I can simultaneously play three parts, one piano, strings or ep for instance in the piano section, one organ, and one synth part for a total three part multitimbrality for sequence playback as I go through the process of writing my music.

I also came across the fact that the NS2 can only use the 2.0 library. Is there an OS upgrade (2.14) for the NS2 that allows 3.0?
Actually 3 x 2 parts (Because there are 2 slots A and B... you didn't yet read specs and manual, didn't you?) Upgrades are listed here https://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/ ... te-history (no,support for .nsmp v3 but that's not a problem , support for v6 .npno was added instead).

When you record in Logic if you record both MIDI and audio (it is DAW with an A=Audio after all) then there is no actual limitation to how many NS parts you can include in a song, even if of course you will play them back from the DAW and not the NS itself (as you would normally do with a guitar, a bass, drums, a real piano, a monotimbral synth etc..)