E2:61 as MIDI keyboard — only sends max vel. of 113 to DAW

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
Citizen
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Australia

E2:61 as MIDI keyboard — only sends max vel. of 113 to DAW

Post by Citizen »

I have tested this extensively, and no matter how hard I play, the Electro 2 is only sending a maximum velocity value of 113 to my DAW (Ableton). :crazy:

I have other controllers that can send the full range of 0-127.

I can't find anything in the Electro 2 manual that explicitly mentions how you adjust the max. velocity of MIDI notes sent. How do I change this?

Many thanks in advance.
Citizen
Australia

Re: E2:61 as MIDI keyboard — only sends max vel. of 113 to DAW

Post by Citizen »

OK, I worked it out — changing the velocity sensitivity on the Nord itself also changes the velocity that it sends for MIDI, which I had assumed it would not effect.

Great!
Citizen
Australia

Post by Citizen »

Still though, upon further testing, I am getting more 'bark' (saturation and grit) when playing the hardest notes
out of my small MIDI keyboard on the same electric piano VST patch than when I play with same velocity on the Nord.

Odd. Not quite sure what is going on here.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Italy

Post by maxpiano »

Citizen wrote: 26 May 2024, 04:03 Still though, upon further testing, I am getting more 'bark' (saturation and grit) when playing the hardest notes
out of my small MIDI keyboard on the same electric piano VST patch than when I play with same velocity on the Nord.

Odd. Not quite sure what is going on here.
How can you be sure you "play with same velocity" on 2 different type of keyboards (a small synth one and a waterfall)?

Probably the small keyboard has a lighter keybed and lets you reach top velocities easier (hitting keys with less less strenght) than the E2 waterfall (and a Hammer Action would require even more), but that's normal, it is due to the different weighting of each keyboard.

Besides, it is not always necessary to use the full range of MIDI velocities, as far as you can play with expressivity you need and you can adjust the velocity curve also on the VST (host or single plugin) side to compensate a smaller range sent by a given master if your touch doesn't allow to reach 127 on it.