Stage 3 Mod Wheel Malfunction

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
nightcrier
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1
United States of America

Stage 3 Mod Wheel Malfunction

Post by nightcrier »

I have a NORD Stage 3 issue that just cropped up and with a few big gigs coming this summer, thought I should
reach out to someone for repair suggestions.

The Mod Wheel has stopped doing anything internally. I assign it as I do everything else but it doesn't do
anything after the assignment. The same MIDI commands from another keyboard's mod wheel do what I need so it's maybe just a bad connection internally.

Not sure where to turn as my regular NORD repair guy has retired from servicing
NORD gear altogether here in metro Detroit area.
I already reached out to NORD via their online support request page but not going to rest there.
Any help truly appreciated - love this board and it plays all my biggest shows.

MarQ Andrew Speck
www.sweetcrystal.com
gitarrenzupfer
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Germany

Re: Stage 3 Mod Wheel Malfunction

Post by gitarrenzupfer »

Hello,

That doesn't sound like an unsolvable problem to me.
To understand it correctly:

1. Operating the wheel does not output any MIDI data (has this been checked with a program such as Midi-OX, for example?)

2. With another keyboard, can the function of the wheel be controlled remotely via MIDI?

If the answer to both questions is yes, it is obvious that either the potentiometer is defective or (what I suspect) a cable connection from the wheel's potentiometer to the board has become loose.

Any reasonably technically knowledgeable electronics technician should be able to carry out the repair or check.

Best regards

Olli
Nord Wave 2, Nord Lead A1, Nord Electro 5D 73 + Studiologic SL990
nightcrier
United States of America

Post by nightcrier »

That would be sweet if it's that simple... just need to find a competent local repair tech!
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Italy

Post by maxpiano »

nightcrier wrote: 24 May 2024, 22:58 That would be sweet if it's that simple... just need to find a competent local repair tech!
Yes it is well know issue (MW internal connector being loose) which can affect particularly the first batches of NS3 Compact, had you searched you'd have found this older discussion viewtopic.php?t=21412