Advice on Nord Model

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards.
Casey-Cayce
United States of America

Advice on Nord Model

Post by Casey-Cayce »

Hello, Nord Folk;

I've been using a full-size digital keyboard over these past 6 years, strictly for studio work—Yamaha CP40—that I'm not much happy with, and have heard Nord has some of the highest-rated piano sounds, in terms of realism. That's what I need: the most realistic digital piano I can find. Many Nord piano models, though, come with loads of bells and whistles I'll likely never use, so I'm looking for that model that'll give me the highest quality piano instrument, fully MIDI capable, without so much of the synthesizer stuff, cost being a factor (as always.) I'd like to hear from other users what Nord model I should be looking at.

Thanks.

Cayce
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3
United States of America

Re: Advice on Nord Model

Post by ericL »

Nord Piano 5 88 sounds like the perfect Nord to meet your needs.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
Mr_-G-

Post by Mr_-G- »

:idea: Try in person before you buy.
Casey-Cayce
United States of America

Post by Casey-Cayce »

Hey, EricL;

Thanks for getting back to me on this. Is the piano in the attached imaage the one you're referring to?
Casey-Cayce
United States of America

Post by Casey-Cayce »

(seems to have not attached the image... trying again...)
Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 1.22.40 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 1.22.40 PM.png (2.19 MiB) Viewed 1619 times
cphollis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5
United States of America

Post by cphollis »

That's the NP5 88 and fits your description to a tee. There's a sample synth section that works well with solo acoustic piano, but not much more. I have the shorter version and very much like it. The only "nicer" piano-focused instrument in Nord-land would be the Nord Grand 2, but that's very focused offering for a home instrument, not so much studio and gigging.
I think I have gear issues ....
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Germany

Post by FZiegler »

You are asking for full MIDI capabilities but don't explain what you mean by that. Nord keyboards do send and receive all commands relevant for the instrument. But they don't have asignable buttons or knobs. And the Piano 5 has only one MIDI channel for sending, one for receiving commands.

Not clear which MIDI capabilities will be featured by the new Grand 2 - available probably from June.

Both will have DIN MIDI and USB MIDI connectivity.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
Casey-Cayce
United States of America

Post by Casey-Cayce »

If I could press a bit further, I have an account with Guitar Center that allows me to by used gear with a 45-day return window (new gear as well, but I feel less guilty testing and returning something used). They have a used Nord PIANO 4. Is that the predecessor to the 5, and would the piano sound quality be anywhere close to the same, enough to give me a decent representation, or are they significantly different? I know, I'm leaning on you here for product-manager expertise, assuming you might know this, but hoping you might.

Thanks again.
models-piano4.jpg
models-piano4.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 1606 times
Rusty Mike
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6
United States of America

Post by Rusty Mike »

You can see the differences between the Piano 4 and Piano 5 here:

Comparison Chart

The differences are more about the features. The piano sounds will be exactly the same.

I hope this helps
These users thanked the author Rusty Mike for the post:
ericL
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3
United States of America

Post by ericL »

If the comparison chart is a lot, the primary differences that would make a noticeable difference between NP4 and NP5 include the dual piano and sample layers, meaning you can layer two pianos and two samples in one program on the NP5 and only one of each on the NP4.

Also the doubled piano memory on the NP5 gives you more space to load in larger piano samples and more of them. Same for the sample memory.

A few other improvements to effects and some other features, though if you were looking mainly for piano, the NP4 will work just fine for your purposes. If you have the means to get the NP5, it would be a more holistic instrument and you'd have the latest flagship in this line (notwithstanding the Nord Grand 2).
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.