External keyboard for playing piano sounds on Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
Koss2003
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

External keyboard for playing piano sounds on Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Post by Koss2003 »

Hello. Previously, I played more with the tones of organ and synthesizers, now more and more often with acoustic piano. Tell me, please, how much different is playing on the NS 2EX Compact Waterfall keys from the Nord Stage 2EX 88/76 in piano tones? If the difference is noticeable, then could you suggest models of external 88 keys (stage piano or synthesizer, maybe Kurzweil pc3x, for example?), which will give a feeling of playing the piano, similar to the Nord Stage 2EX 88/76 versions. Of course, there is a noticeable difference, but I would like to understand how critical this difference is when playing piano tones. At the level it is more convenient and less convenient. Or is it completely inconvenient and the timbres sounded much better?
I’ve come across similar topics, but I haven’t seen any clear conclusions on this issue. Perhaps there is now an established opinion on this issue, regarding keyboard options that work well with the Nord Stage 2EX Compact.
Thanks.
Klondyke77
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Germany

Re: External keyboard for playing piano sounds on Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Post by Klondyke77 »

Hi. As I'm using a Stage 3 HA 88 I cannot answer all your questions, but here are some of my experiences:
History:
When I got my Nord I had problems to play very light / pianissimo since the resistance of built-in keybed is quite low. In this time I needed to prepare for a classical accompainment and decided to add a Roland RD-88 for use as Midi-Controller. The RD-88 keybed has more resistance and a better Hammer feel. It helped me a lot to get a better feel for dynamics. (There are way better weighted actions on the market. The RD-88 was best for me regarding price and versatility. Can use it on its own for practicing or small events).

Conclusion/Experience:
The Nord piano tones/samples are highly dependant on keyboard velocity! There will be (much) a difference in tone if you switch from a Waterfall keybed to a weighted action. Due to higher (key) resistance the tones will receive lower velocity levels. Although having two weighted actions the tones sound different with the roland action compared to the internal Nord HA88 action.
So if you decide to get a Midi keyboard look for one where you can adjust velocity levels!
These users thanked the author Klondyke77 for the post:
Koss2003
Koss2003
Patch Creator

Post by Koss2003 »

Klondyke77 wrote: 12 May 2024, 09:04 Hi. As I'm using a Stage 3 HA 88 I cannot answer all your questions, but here are some of my experiences:
History:
When I got my Nord I had problems to play very light / pianissimo since the resistance of built-in keybed is quite low. In this time I needed to prepare for a classical accompainment and decided to add a Roland RD-88 for use as Midi-Controller. The RD-88 keybed has more resistance and a better Hammer feel. It helped me a lot to get a better feel for dynamics. (There are way better weighted actions on the market. The RD-88 was best for me regarding price and versatility. Can use it on its own for practicing or small events).

Conclusion/Experience:
The Nord piano tones/samples are highly dependant on keyboard velocity! There will be (much) a difference in tone if you switch from a Waterfall keybed to a weighted action. Due to higher (key) resistance the tones will receive lower velocity levels. Although having two weighted actions the tones sound different with the roland action compared to the internal Nord HA88 action.
So if you decide to get a Midi keyboard look for one where you can adjust velocity levels!
Thank you very much for your experience. I think about the options for Kurzweil PC3X or Kawai ES-120/520.
While choosing I wanted to buy Kurzweil K2700 when I looked at the review at this keyboard. :)
FZiegler
Donator
Germany

Post by FZiegler »

In my eyes, the difference is huge between a Stage Compact and any hammer action keyboard. There is even a noticeable difference between Stage 88HA and 76HP.

I own a Stage 3 Compact which got an update a while ago to better adapt MIDI velocity of third party external hammer action keyboards to the Stage 3. Before, I needed a MIDI velocity converter to match my external Yamaha CP33 with the Nord's sound; now, it's not critical any more. But I have no idea if a Stage 2 EX has similar problems or not: Either you may succeed in using any external hammer action keyboard (new or second hand) for piano playing or you may need to get such a converter to get into the sweet spot of Nord piano sounds. In my eyes, an external hammer action is worth the schlepp.
These users thanked the author FZiegler for the post (total 2):
ericL, Koss2003
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3
United States of America

Post by ericL »

I agree with the posts above in terms of pretty major difference between HA and Compact actions.

When I was using the NS2, I had all three: NS2 88 HA, NS2EX 76 HP, and NS2EX Compact. I still have my 88 HA. I eventually trained myself to get along OK with the Compact, though I didn't really love it for piano playing. My bands end up being something like 50% organ, with maybe 20% synth, clav, and EPs (Wurly and Rhodes), leaving something like 30% acoustic piano or CP80, and not a ton of songs with major piano features. I decided that I liked the waterfall action of the Compact so much for organ, synth, EP, clav that I was willing to live with the tradeoff on piano. Not to mention that the Compact is the lightest and easiest to transport of the NS models.

Fast forward to my days with the NS3 and I have two Compacts. I believe that there was an improvement between NS2 and NS3 in terms of how the Compact action feels and responds. I enjoy playing piano on NS3 Compact more than NS2 Compact. If you look into the NS4, that now has triple sensors in the action and I believe would be even better.
Last edited by ericL on 23 May 2024, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ericL for the post:
Koss2003
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
cphollis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5
United States of America

Post by cphollis »

I never liked the weighted piano-like actions on the NS2/EX and NS3 88. I tried a bunch of different weighted keyboards to get a great piano feel out of NS Compacts (2/3/4) and ended up liking Nord Pianos underneath (3/4/5), even though I'm not using their sound engines.

The ear/finger calibration is, well, perfect.
These users thanked the author cphollis for the post:
Koss2003
I think I have gear issues ....
Koss2003
Patch Creator

Post by Koss2003 »

I thank all participants in the discussion. This is very valuable information for me! I'll try to find some kind of keyboard with three sensors and velocity adjustment. As soon as I gain sufficient experience in this experiment, I will definitely write here. I'm sure I'm not the only one asking this question. :thanx:
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Italy

Post by maxpiano »

Koss2003 wrote: 27 May 2024, 08:59 I thank all participants in the discussion. This is very valuable information for me! I'll try to find some kind of keyboard with three sensors and velocity adjustment. As soon as I gain sufficient experience in this experiment, I will definitely write here. I'm sure I'm not the only one asking this question. :thanx:
You don't necessarily need 3 sensors and warning because some 3 sensors keyboard, like the VPC1 (which I owned) when doing half-key repeats generate Note ON/OFF messages in a sequence that is different from what NS2 would expect (multiple ONs and just 1 final OFF) so I kept it set in 2-sensors mode when using it with my NS2 Compact.

Recently instead I used a Numa X Piano with my NS3 Compact and it works just fine, as well as does the 2 sensors GHS of my CK88 (repetitions included) so... in general first of all find a master or DP you are comfortable with when playing, don't mind the sensors. ;-)
Last edited by maxpiano on 27 May 2024, 11:05, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post:
Koss2003
Koss2003
Patch Creator

Post by Koss2003 »

maxpiano wrote: 27 May 2024, 10:22
You don't necessarily need 3 sensors and warning because some 3 sensors keyboard, like the VPC1 (which I owned) when doing half-key repeats generate Note ON/OFF messages in a sequence that is different from what NS" woudl expect (multiple ONs and just 1 final OFF) so I kept it set in 2-sensors mode when using it with my NS2 Compact.

Recently instead I used a Numa X Piano with my NS3 Comapct and it works just fine, as well as does the 2 sensors GHS of my CK88 (repetitions included) so... in general first of all find a master or DP you are comfortable with when playing, don't mind the sensors. ;-)
Interesting addition. This expands the choice of keyboards. Thanks a lot!