Nord sound manager - import one preset from bundle

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
mozart999uk
Great Britain

Nord sound manager - import one preset from bundle

Post by mozart999uk »

Apologies, I have searched around for this and maybe I just don't get what's being shown to me but....

I have a bundle and I want to import just a single preset from it into my nord stage 4.

From what I've seen, you drag and drop the bundle and that uploads the entire bundle to the nord (which can't happen anyway cos I don't have enough free memory.) I've obviously missed something....

I have managed to change the file extension of the bundle to .zip and then I can browse the bundle to find the preset I want (using winzip) however, not sure what to do next. Unzip my newly created zip file and just drag and drop the preset perhaps?

Sorry if this is really obvious to everyone else, I just can't get my head round it....
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Germany

Re: Nord sound manager - import one preset from bundle

Post by FZiegler »

No, you haven't missed something as long as it concerns NSM. It works like that: A bundle is always handled as a complete package. Well, that's why it's called a bundle...

The usual workaround is exactly the way you describe it: You change the bundle file into a *.zip file type, open it the way you want and handle it the way you want. If your computer is a MacOS device, I'm not sure how the OS will handle ZIP files; if it's a Windows computer, you can choose if you want to open the ZIP file via the standard file explorer or use a dedicated Zipper (like 7ZIP) to unzip either the whole bundle or extract single files from the bundle. And then add them in NSM, of course.
These users thanked the author FZiegler for the post (total 3):
WannitBBBad, ericL, lucius
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
mozart999uk
Great Britain

Post by mozart999uk »

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I'm on windows so it seems easy. Glad I'm not quite as much of a dufus as I thought ;-)
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3
United States of America

Post by ericL »

You may want to change how you're uploading and downloading, if bundles aren't what you need. You could simply upload one or many (or all) Programs from your Nord to your computer and then downloading them is a little more intuitive if it's just the program data you're trying to get in many cases.

I have had a lot of success using bundles to replicate data between multiple Nords. Bundles will always include the underlying full data of whatever piano samples, nsmp, program data and all that fun stuff. Bundles are larger datasets than just programs, though also a lot smaller than a full backup of the instrument...which I've never needed in all these years.

In any event, good luck with your current situation!
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
mozart999uk
Great Britain

Post by mozart999uk »

ericL wrote: 23 May 2024, 15:40 You may want to change how you're uploading and downloading, if bundles aren't what you need. You could simply upload one or many (or all) Programs from your Nord to your computer and then downloading them is a little more intuitive if it's just the program data you're trying to get in many cases.

I have had a lot of success using bundles to replicate data between multiple Nords. Bundles will always include the underlying full data of whatever piano samples, nsmp, program data and all that fun stuff. Bundles are larger datasets than just programs, though also a lot smaller than a full backup of the instrument...which I've never needed in all these years.

Thanks :-) It was the latest nord bundle by Markus Jagerstedt. :-) Just wanted the slide guitar preset.
DJKeys
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2
United States of America

Post by DJKeys »

ericL wrote: 23 May 2024, 15:40 You may want to change how you're uploading and downloading, if bundles aren't what you need. You could simply upload one or many (or all) Programs from your Nord to your computer and then downloading them is a little more intuitive if it's just the program data you're trying to get in many cases.

This is why I never use bundles. Very rarely do my samples change position, I can save or upload programs easily and quickly one at a time or in bulk-

-dj
These users thanked the author DJKeys for the post:
ericL

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
United States of America

Post by ericL »

DJKeys wrote: 23 May 2024, 15:49

This is why I never use bundles. Very rarely do my samples change position, I can save or upload programs easily and quickly one at a time or in bulk-

-dj
My use for bundles is between two NS3 units. One lives in a flight case for gigs and the other travels in a soft case for rehearsals and I also use that one for sound design at home. I've lately been programming a LOT of new things for two bands, which includes new/different nsmp and so forth. I will typically get all of this set up in my home/rehearsal NS3, including Song data that points to multiple new and sometimes existing programs. One band was adding 5-10 new songs per week for a while, which was a lot of work for me in terms of learning and sound design.

Once I have the new songs with programs all set, I then select those songs and upload them as a bundle (5-10 new songs with new programs lined up within the songs). Then I connect my gig Nord and download that specific bundle, which gives me all the new songs, new programs, and any nsmp that have been added. It's a fairly quick process and works well for me.
These users thanked the author ericL for the post:
analogika
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Germany

Post by analogika »

FZiegler wrote: 23 May 2024, 13:08 No, you haven't missed something as long as it concerns NSM. It works like that: A bundle is always handled as a complete package. Well, that's why it's called a bundle...

The usual workaround is exactly the way you describe it: You change the bundle file into a *.zip file type, open it the way you want and handle it the way you want. If your computer is a MacOS device, I'm not sure how the OS will handle ZIP files; if it's a Windows computer, you can choose if you want to open the ZIP file via the standard file explorer or use a dedicated Zipper (like 7ZIP) to unzip either the whole bundle or extract single files from the bundle. And then add them in NSM, of course.

I was under the impression that this would work, as well, BUT:

If I rename the .ns3fb to .zip, macOS instantly recognises it as a ZIP file. Opening it results in this error:
Nord_Stage_bundle_zip_error.png
Nord_Stage_bundle_zip_error.png (144.37 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Transferring all my programs to a rental Stage 3 worked without any issues whatsoever, but this did irritate me. I'm sure this used to work at least with the full backups — it no longer does there, either.
These users thanked the author analogika for the post:
FZiegler
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
FZiegler
Donator
Germany

Post by FZiegler »

It at least does work on my Windows computer with a file I created in 2022. Interesting.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
mozart999uk
Great Britain

Post by mozart999uk »

analogika wrote: 25 May 2024, 20:27
FZiegler wrote: 23 May 2024, 13:08 No, you haven't missed something as long as it concerns NSM. It works like that: A bundle is always handled as a complete package. Well, that's why it's called a bundle...

I was under the impression that this would work, as well, BUT:

If I rename the .ns3fb to .zip, macOS instantly recognises it as a ZIP file. Opening it results in this error:

Nord_Stage_bundle_zip_error.png

Transferring all my programs to a rental Stage 3 worked without any issues whatsoever, but this did irritate me. I'm sure this used to work at least with the full backups — it no longer does there, either.
Does this help?
These users thanked the author mozart999uk for the post (total 2):
FZiegler, analogika