MIDI - Transmit out on all channels (OMNI)

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
BillInOhio
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

MIDI - Transmit out on all channels (OMNI)

Post by BillInOhio »

How can I tell my Stage 3 to transmit out on all MIDI channels (OMNI)?
I'm new to the Nord and new to the Stage 3.

Also have a Kurzweil with a lot of sounds that I like to be able to blend and fade live. But those sounds are by design assigned to different MIDI channels if you want to play them simultaneously.

I'd like to play the Stage 3 for it's excellent piano and have it MIDI out the key commands on all MIDI channels so that the slaved keyboard will play whatever blend of sounds I have grouped together in a current patch.
My Kurzweil PC2xO support 4 simultaneous zones and those are typically on MIDI channels 1-4.
I can fade them in on-keyboard because the 4 faders are assigned to MIDI volume commands on those same channels.

Currently the Stage 3 is only transmitting on Channel 1 and that means I can only play one sound assigned to that Zone on Channel 1.

My workaround is to use the Kurzweil as the controller. It by default is configured to transmit OMNI, unless you change that.
But this setup is less convenient than using the Nord as the controller.

I've already downloaded, printed, and read the manual and it hasn't become clear to me yet if this can be done on the Nord and how.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Re: MIDI - Transmit out on all channels (OMNI)

Post by maxpiano »

HI, you can't. In MIDI "OMNI" is a setting of the receiving device, not the transmitter (this is true for any keyboard, not just Nord)

But on NS3 you have 2 Extern sections A/B that you can assign to distinct channels + the Global channel. Check about the Extern on the the manual and its MIDI settings and ... this The Nord Stage MIDI Tutorial ;-)
Last edited by maxpiano on 08 Dec 2023, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post (total 2):
Mystic38, BillInOhio
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

As maxpiano discussed a controller will not transmit on omni, but there is a simple ay for you to make splits/layers on a target device such as your Kurzweil

There are generally settings in every multichannel synth such as yours to change the receiving channel, so if you have the NS output on ch1, the you can set multiple channels on the Kurz to receive on ch1, and (also) generally you can set key ranges and octave offset such that you can execute full splits and layers.

I would be beyond staggered if your Kurzweil did not support this
These users thanked the author Mystic38 for the post:
BillInOhio
cwvh1
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Post by cwvh1 »

"There are generally settings in every multichannel synth such as yours to change the receiving channel, so if you have the NS output on ch1, the you can set multiple channels on the Kurz to receive on ch1, and (also) generally you can set key ranges and octave offset such that you can execute full splits and layers."

How do you set key ranges for splits. I have a Stage 4 and I'm using an iPad hammond B-3x. I'd like to do splits, but the organ covers the entire board.
I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

cwvh1 wrote: 10 May 2024, 15:14 "There are generally settings in every multichannel synth such as yours to change the receiving channel, so if you have the NS output on ch1, the you can set multiple channels on the Kurz to receive on ch1, and (also) generally you can set key ranges and octave offset such that you can execute full splits and layers."

How do you set key ranges for splits. I have a Stage 4 and I'm using an iPad hammond B-3x. I'd like to do splits, but the organ covers the entire board.
I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks
Nord Stage 4 manual v1.2K page 38 (Split) and 45 (Extern mode, what you should use to send MIDI your iPad, not from Global channel)