Issues with portability: Could a 6D stand in for a S3?

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards.
eleyesl
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Issues with portability: Could a 6D stand in for a S3?

Post by eleyesl »

Hi all,

I've been gigging semi regularly in New York City for a bit now on my 88 stage 3 and I'm getting a little tired of having to deal with a car. Finding parking for all the rehearsals and gigs is usually either expensive or a total pain. I'm brainstorming ways that I can create a more portable setup that's public transit friendly for rehearsals and less demanding gigs.

I make a handful of custom patches that I programed on the S3 that I use for one band in particular. If money were no issue, I'd get the S3 compact so I could still program sounds on my 88 S3 all easily transfer them. I'm wondering if I could manage with an electro 6D. I recognize there's no 1 to 1 transfer between the stage and the electro as the settings and capabilities are quite different. I'm wondering if it's possible/a good idea to create the sounds on my S3 and upload them as samples to an electro 6D? Or if I could approximate the sounds by programming on the 6D? It wouldn't have to be perfect, just close enough to work for a rehearsal.

Anyone else live in a city where it's difficult to load gear in a car and get around? Have you figured out ways to make it work on public transit? Any other tips?

I should maybe mention that I got 88 fully weighted keys because I just couldn't compromise on that for my main instrument. I'm at a point now where I'm willing to invest in some portable options for some situations.

Thank you in advance for any input.
Schorsch
Donator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: Issues with portability: Could a 6D stand in for a S3?

Post by Schorsch »

Hi and welcome to this forum!

Using an Electro 6d as an alternative to the Stage 3 depends on how your programs on the NS3 look like, can you explain a hit more about this?

If you use max. one of each sound sections (organ, piano, synth) in your programs and just samples in the synth section it should be possible, but if you use the full synth or sound engines in parallel in A and B on your NS3 you will not be able to replicate this on the E6d
These users thanked the author Schorsch for the post (total 2):
ericL, eleyesl
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
cphollis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Post by cphollis »

Although a lifelong piano player, I ditched the 88 key format for gigging years ago. I was never really using those last octaves anyway. I can't imagine having to haul one in anything other than a truck or SUV.

Obviously, a used NS3C would be ideal for you, despite the extra cost. Compared to the NE6D, those extra sound engines can come in handy, especially the synth section for more modern music.

Can you get by with a NE6D or 5D? Sure, the sampler section helps a lot, especially if you load it up with signature synth pads and similar. You will have to recreate your programs from scratch, or sample your NS3 work for recreation in the NE sample section.

You didn't mention your keyboard stand, seat or amplification. My skinny-downed travel rig is a NS4C, a STAY aluminum stand, and a camping-style stool to sit on. I use a pair of small mixers to feed FOH and create my own IEM mix. The NS4C is backpack-able, leaving my hands free to carry the other odd bits.

One easy trip from the car, every time
These users thanked the author cphollis for the post (total 3):
ericL, eleyesl, Schorsch
I think I have gear issues ....
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by ericL »

When I was using the NS2 88 for many years, I had a brief moment where I tried to replicate my NS2 sounds on a NE5 HP. I was looking to make things a bit simpler and just trying this out. It took a fair amount of time to translate the main sounds and prioritizing which multi-panel sounds would be best on a single panel instrument.

At the end of the day, I was dissatisfied with this experiment and ended up selling the NE5. I then acquired a second (and third) NS2 unit of a different variety for portability. I had the 76 HP and 73 Compact...ended up LOVING the Compact and the ease of transferring programs amongst the same platform instrument made it great.

Fast forward a few years and I currently use a pair of NS3 Compact units between rehearsal and gigs. I miss the 88 keys from time to time, though have really acclimated to the Compact action. Every now and then, I think about getting a NE6D 61, simply due to how small it is...then I think about the time I'd need to spend recreating everything on it and I just say nah.

If I were you, I'd look for a NS3 Compact so you can have the ease of transfer of all the programs you currently use!
These users thanked the author ericL for the post (total 2):
eleyesl, Schorsch
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
harmonizer
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Post by harmonizer »

In case having a pitch bend control matters, the Electro 6 does not have one.
eleyesl

Post by eleyesl »

Thanks for your response. My most complex programs do involve multiple things happening from different engines on different panels with split functions and everything. I recognize it won't be easy (if not impossible) to do on a 6d. Maybe the specific example I'm curious about is as follows: let's say I have a program on my NS3 that uses a synth and a piano on each panel, all played at once. There's no split function or anything additional needed beyond playing the sound I created. Could I make a sample of that sound to play on the E6D that would sound decent enough? Would that process be super cumbersome? I guess I'm not super familiar with the functionalities of the Nord Sample Editor.

I'm seeing a lot of other responses saying that this set up be a bit of a pain and I hear you...
Normski
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Post by Normski »

Just a sugestion to try to see if it will work for you.
Sample your S3 and load it back into your S3 to see if the sample is workable for you.
If it is, then it will work on an E6D.
I've used a 6D 61 for distant travel and it worked well for me.

But I now have a S4C and its only an additional 2Kg, so probably wont fly with the 6D.
Cheers Norm
These users thanked the author Normski for the post:
eleyesl