Stage 4 newbie question

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
mahauert

Stage 4 newbie question

Post by mahauert »

Hi, I'm not a happy Nord Stage 4 user yet, but hopefully I will be soon. :-) I have a burning question regarding program backup and transfer. In the band room, I can load the entire Lefestup from my Roland Fantom G7 as a project with over 100 programmed song patterns on a memory stick within a minute and load it onto my Fantom G8 in the studio within a very short time. I've heard that it's not that trivial with the Stage 4 and a total backup can take over 20'. Can someone explain to me the easiest way to do this on the Stage 4. Thank you very much
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: Stage 4 newbie question

Post by ericL »

Regardless of NS4 or NS3 or NS2...the first time you try a FULL backup to your laptop, it will take longer as the various parts of the programs, sample libraries, etc. are landing for the first time. Subsequent backups go a bit faster.

As a regular Nord user for a few decades, I've found limited need to do the FULL backup, as I tend to work with my own custom programs and samples, which can be backed up using Nord's bundle feature. Bundles are great as you can specify something like "here's my 50 programs for band 1, I want to have them all saved in a file that I can move to another Nord or have a backup." You can also simply save program data and that just takes a few seconds to upload and download to another instrument.

Don't let the total backup thing worry you. There are lots of ways to do this efficiently. I use multiple NS3 units between rehearsal and gigs, and just need a couple of minutes to sync things up. It's all good.
These users thanked the author ericL for the post:
mahauert
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
mahauert

Post by mahauert »

Thank you very much, I kind of hoped to get such an answer!
fabiokey
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Post by fabiokey »

Just remember that you always need a computer.There's no other way.
But EricL is right , bundle is much faster.
Nord Stage 3
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by ericL »

fabiokey wrote: 08 May 2024, 19:12 Just remember that you always need a computer.There's no other way.
But EricL is right , bundle is much faster.
Very good point! A laptop/computer is required for external management of anything in the Nord arsenal. There's no such thing as using a memory stick or a phone app.

I've come up with an efficient setup in my home music room where I have a USB cable running always between laptop and gear space, so I can quickly hook up to whichever Nord to upload and download sounds. Only a few times have I carried a laptop to a gig or rehearsal...I get things all sorted at home.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
mahauert

Post by mahauert »

THANK YOU ALL for the excellent insights.

No problem to carry a laptop with me. However, it seems that with Roland this task used to be easier. I am very much looking forward to my new keyboards!
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

mahauert wrote: 09 May 2024, 12:53 THANK YOU ALL for the excellent insights.

No problem to carry a laptop with me. However, it seems that with Roland this task used to be easier. I am very much looking forward to my new keyboards!
FYI a Windows 10/11 based tablet (even the cheapest/smallest one) would also do the job (if you want to avoid the laptop and you can use the tablet also for many other things such as setlist management, pdf sheet music...)
These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post (total 3):
mahauert, ericL, Fairstar