Foot Pedal to Trigger Samples?

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Foot Pedal to Trigger Samples?

Post by maxpiano »

spradders wrote: 08 May 2024, 11:45 I was looking for a basic midi trigger pedal; you could make one reasonably cheaply using Arduino but it all seemed very teccie to me. Then I thought about getting an old secondhand electric drum kit module and using that with a foot pedal. But still haven't found a tidy, small, simple solution yet. I want it to trigger a bass drum sample, so I can use it like a stomp box.
Something like these stomp pedals? LINK
Or an Alesis SamplePad (basic model is enough and has connections for pedals)
Jesse1975
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Post by Jesse1975 »

FZiegler wrote: 08 May 2024, 06:43 You'd need to find out about velocity controlling: I don't think that you would easily control volume by a finger or foot tap, so you should rather send a fixed velocity signal.
Thanks FZiegler. Yeah, that seems to be the caveat with the Akais - the pads are velocity controlled and there's no way to make them 'fixed' to the same volume regardless of how hard you hit it!
Jesse1975
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Post by Jesse1975 »

There is the Roland SPD-one Wav pedal that does what you ask, but quite expensive... https://www.roland.com/it/products/spd_one_wav_pad/

Thanks maxpiano! That Roland pedal looks cool, but looks like it only triggers one sample at a time, since there's only one pad? Not sure if it would work for playing multiple samples within a song... like if I want to trigger 3 samples in succession during a song.

Maybe it is cheaper to buy a Bluetooth MIDI pedal and use it with a tablet/smartphone app to play the sample?

This definitely sounds possible and worth investigating! Thanks again!
FZiegler
Donator

Post by FZiegler »

If I had problems like this, I wouldn't quirk around too much but add a second keyboard (with as many foot pedals as you want) or ask another musician in the band to play an auxiliary keyboard (or pad - even a Nord drum 3P or the like).
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

FZiegler wrote: 09 May 2024, 10:55 If I had problems like this, I wouldn't quirk around too much but add a second keyboard (with as many foot pedals as you want) or ask another musician in the band to play an auxiliary keyboard (or pad - even a Nord drum 3P or the like).
That or now you make me think also about the classic organ bass-pedals (MIDI of course and connected to a HW sample player or a computer/smartphone running an appropriate app, as I mentioned before)