Adding a volume knob to control the Monitor In ?

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
cookie
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Adding a volume knob to control the Monitor In ?

Post by cookie »

I'm thinking of adding a volume knob (with the added electronic parts needed) to control the Monitor In input on my Stage 2EX.
I know that it can be only routed to the headphones (maybe there is a way to reroute also to Main 1&2 as it was implemented on the Stage 3 ? maybe a switch toggle to add ?), but this could be a little mod that will help me have control directly for the inputs on the synth.
If this works, will mod the Stage 3 as well.
Any pictures or diagrams of this part of the electronic board ? Any experience ?
Fred
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Re: Adding a volume knob to control the Monitor In ?

Post by maxpiano »

cookie wrote: 06 May 2024, 11:42 I'm thinking of adding a volume knob (with the added electronic parts needed) to control the Monitor In input on my Stage 2EX.
I know that it can be only routed to the headphones (maybe there is a way to reroute also to Main 1&2 as it was implemented on the Stage 3 ? maybe a switch toggle to add ?), but this could be a little mod that will help me have control directly for the inputs on the synth.
If this works, will mod the Stage 3 as well.
Any pictures or diagrams of this part of the electronic board ? Any experience ?
Fred
I would suggest to do it externally rather, you can build a simple box with stereo in/out jacks and a stereo pot in the middle (or buy some existing commercial one like the below, which has also double input, A/B switch and a mute button)
61NFyKU-WeL._AC_SL1466_.jpg
61NFyKU-WeL._AC_SL1466_.jpg (16.33 KiB) Viewed 690 times
Last edited by maxpiano on 06 May 2024, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
Schorsch
Donator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by Schorsch »

Hey Max,

what is the name of that box, or who is the manufacturer?
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

Schorsch wrote: 06 May 2024, 13:51 Hey Max,

what is the name of that box, or who is the manufacturer?
Nouiosa Metal 3.5mm Stereo Audio Switch - 1 in 2 Out / 2 in 1 Out
(found on Amazon, but the same exists also under other names/brands/sellers and there are also other equivalent units in the Audio/Video accessories category)
cookie
Patch Creator

Post by cookie »

Thanks for the suggestion ! This forum is full of resources and smart Nord users !

I may try something external first then see how to integrate it directly on the Nord.
Something like
3.5mm jack volume.jpg
3.5mm jack volume.jpg (72.77 KiB) Viewed 599 times
where I could only use the PCBs and replace the knob with a more "Nord-like" one !

Will keep you posted.
Fred
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by ericL »

I agree with the approach to add something externally in lieu of trying to surgically modify the Nords...unless you are a pro at this kind of thing. If something goes sideways, it might be hard to find a good repair shop.

I rarely use the monitor input. Occasionally with my NS3 or NS2 I would connect my phone when learning songs with headphones and this worked pretty well. I've never run an extra module through the NS3 monitor input...though a friend of mine suggested a really cool use case if you're using a Ventilator. Rather than running the Vent to a separate mixer channel, send its outputs back into the NS3 monitor input using a cable that jumps from stereo 1/4" to stereo 3/8". I bought some cables a few years ago to try this and never got around to it...I've been pretty much locked and loaded on using a mixer to separate my 1/2 outputs for piano/synth and 3 output for Vent.

Good luck!
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

cookie wrote: 06 May 2024, 16:42 Thanks for the suggestion ! This forum is full of resources and smart Nord users !

I may try something external first then see how to integrate it directly on the Nord.
Something like 3.5mm jack volume.jpg where I could only use the PCBs and replace the knob with a more "Nord-like" one !

Will keep you posted.
Fred
Well, if having it stylish is also for you a point, then why not a TC Electronics Level Pilot C ? ;)

(but it is "not so small"; instead with some DYI you could make it really compact and use exactly a Nord-like knob + pot) ;)
cookie
Patch Creator

Post by cookie »

maxpiano wrote: 06 May 2024, 17:57
cookie wrote: 06 May 2024, 16:42 Thanks for the suggestion ! This forum is full of resources and smart Nord users !

Something like 3.5mm jack volume.jpg where I could only use the PCBs and replace the knob with a more "Nord-like" one !

Will keep you posted.
Fred
Well, if having it stylish is also for you a point, then why not a TC Electronics Level Pilot C ? ;)

(but it is "not so small"; instead with some DYI you could make it really compact and use exactly a Nord-like knob + pot) ;)
No, nothing stylish. The idea is to replace the big knob by a "Nord-like knob" somewhere on the front panel with the PCB inside, connected to the Monitor In port.

Fred