NS4 problems with external gear

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
mrgkeys
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: NS4 problems with external gear

Post by mrgkeys »

i've had all the Nords since 2006 (18 years!) and nothing but, but the 4 is my last one. The lack of midi control is a deal breaker for me. I waited for 6 months with all kinds of kludge fixes then I switched back to my Stage 3 for a while then transitioned to the Montage M7. Its completely crazy that a new flagship machine would do less than all the previous editions before it. I need my days on the road to go smoothly. It still remains that the Stage 3 with an external keyboard is way more capable that and Stage 4 with an external. That's wrong. Once any new samples became available i just loaded them into my 3. The 4 sits in storage for now. The always capable C2D still gets used every day.
Ecaroh
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Post by Ecaroh »

This forum behaves strangely at the moment. For some reason I can’t see my own post. So here it is once more:

To keep this unfortunate topic alive I'll put my updated list once again here:

1. external control: wheel, exp pedal, aftertouch do not work externally. Especially in Aux KB mode this is very annoying: MIDI controller with mod.wheel, aftertouch and exp.pedal simply cannot use those to control NS4!

2. local off: you cannot put individual parts to local off mode (for giving them for external control)

3. EXTERN mode of synths: This shuts off corresponding synth. In my opinion this is waste of power of NS4. (In NS3 extern panel was independent of other panels and thus much more convenient and effective)

4. EXTERN Midi Channels. You can only set those channels on global level. Again this is a setback if you compare NS4 to NS3. In NS3 you can set those ext channels on program level which is much more useful if you work with for example full 16 ch multimbral sound module or synth.

For me personally these are all horrible setbacks. But to be clear only #1 is clearly a bug. Others are very badly thought but maybe still more like "features". If I'd pick up one of those, maybe #4 is the worst in my case and in my setup. Let me explain why. I have Access Virus Desktop synth which is 16-part multitimbral and I have around 80 Virus multi presets which all have different midi channel configuration. With Stage3 I could make Program X to control midi ch y in panel A (extern) and midi ch z in panel B (extern). Now NS4 has fixed channels for three EXT slots. So with NS4 all these 80 Virus multis are pretty much useless. So I wouldn't call this "feature" as improvement.

If nothing happens soon I’ll start selling my NS4. It’s a bit expensive furniture.
vojtech-h
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2D

Post by vojtech-h »

Note
Ecaroh wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 23:22 This forum behaves strangely at the moment. For some reason I can’t see my own post.
Your Posts are saved but not displayed

For now, it will help e.g.
set User Control PanelBoard preferences Edit display options Display posts from previous days: 2 weeks

I reported this behavior ... see
viewtopic.php?t=25348&start=50

Vojtech