Yamaha DBR10 $320!

All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.
wweiss

Yamaha DBR10 $320!

Post by wweiss »

This is a great full range sounding speaker. Plenty of power and Yamaha 7 year warranty. At $320, might be the best bargain out there! I listened to QSC CP series, EV ZLX, and Yamaha DBR12 and 10. I chose the DBR10 for its size and clear, detailed sound with good bass extension. For the first gig last night, I set it up about 3 feet above stage, switched DSP to FOH and added some EQ (more low and less high) on the Nord piano. Piano and B3 sounded fantastic through the DBR10 and it had more than enough power for a medium sized restaurant. Best of all, it was a breeze to transport at only 23lbs and half the size of my keyboard amp.
I highly recommend the DBR for gigging keyboardists.
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Yamaha DBR10 $320!

Post by FZiegler »

Interesting experience. Only half a year ago, you claimed to have a QSC K8.2, a RCF TT515, a RCF TT10a. Could you compare your new DBRs to the QSCs or RCFs?

But also an interesting price. In Europe, I find prices from ~420 EUR (~450 USD) upwards - incl. tax. Quite a difference.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
wweiss

Post by wweiss »

Yamaha and Bose for that matter have the opposite sound signature of QSC, EV and RCF which are very similar. Yes, I still have all those speakers. QSC/RCF have that super clean high end, very accurate like a Studio Monitor, some say can be fatiguing. Yamaha has a more Hi-fi smooth midrange and slightly fuller bass. High end slightly rolled off in comparison. Really comes down to personal preference.
Last edited by wweiss on 12 Apr 2024, 05:27, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author wweiss for the post:
FZiegler
maestrosteve
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Post by maestrosteve »

I bought a DBR10 when it first came out. Lightweight, sounds good, plus a 7 year Yamaha warranty. You will get a lot more volume out of it if you use some kind of preamp (mixer, effects unit, whatever), and I find it a little bass heavy. I didn't like the Yamaha case so I put it in a QSC K10 case, fits perfectly.
ztusek
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Post by ztusek »

wweiss wrote:This is a great full range sounding speaker. Plenty of power and Yamaha 7 year warranty. At $320, might be the best bargain out there! I listened to QSC CP series, EV ZLX, and Yamaha DBR12 and 10. I chose the DBR10 for its size and clear, detailed sound with good bass extension. For the first gig last night, I set it up about 3 feet above stage, switched DSP to FOH and added some EQ (more low and less high) on the Nord piano. Piano and B3 sounded fantastic through the DBR10 and it had more than enough power for a medium sized restaurant. Best of all, it was a breeze to transport at only 23lbs and half the size of my keyboard amp.
I highly recommend the DBR for gigging keyboardists.
You are saying nord piano samples sound fantastic as mono with just one DBR10?

I'm thinking of one DXR12 MKII for piano sounds...
maestrosteve

Post by maestrosteve »

The DXR12 is even better than the DBR10, a lot better. I'm not getting any younger, and the weight difference is substantial, almost 20lb difference so I am OK with the DBR10. I'm not saying the DBR10 is the greatest, it's just a good deal for the money, the sound and the weight. It doesn't compare with even the DXR10, but even with that speaker it's a lot cheaper and lighter. I use it as mono because I have PA support, but everything always sounds better in stereo, and some people just can't live right unless they always play their Nord into a stereo situation, but I can, and I do.
David53

Post by David53 »

I also use a pair of dbr 10’s. Great set of speakers for the $.
AllanH
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Post by AllanH »

On occasions at rehearsal with a bigband, I've used 2 DBR10 speakers with either my electro6 or piano5. they're ok in a rehearsal situation.. but I prefer the CPS V3 ( only slightly more weight than one DBR10)

BTW our band uses 4 x DBR10s for foldback monitors when performing (in addition to larger main PA speakers).. and they are light, easy to set up and are adequate for our purposes when playing to small audiences indoors/outdoors
my gear: Nord Electro 6D, Nord Piano 5 /73, Centerpoint Stereo Spacestation, Yamaha UX 3
previous gear: Nord Piano 3