New Nord Piano 5 Advice Needed

Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.
EnvyYou
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Re: New Nord Piano 5 Advice Needed

Post by EnvyYou »

Very slightly not much at all, if i turn it to far then i cant hear my play back for backing tracks etc and its still not that loud anyway.
Even if i turn the volume up on the nord to 100 % and i turn the volume knob on the presonus to maximum where normal sound blasts my ears, the piano is no where near the volume if i was to just use headphones or plug directly into monitors.
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by FZiegler »

EnvyYou wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 16:37
FZiegler wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 08:06 For using the audio interface in a correct way, you may need to understand what it does by routing the signal. Maybe the Studio24 will mix the two inputs from the piano together and you get phase cancellation from the two signals. Try to use the Studio24 configuration software to pan both input signals hard left (ch1) and right (ch2); this may be enough to get the correct signal on output 1 and 2.
Do you have any idea how this can be done ? I have uploaded a photo of what i see with the audio box and i dont have anything else. Is there a software that i need or do you know what it may be called ?
I filed through the Studio 2|4 manual but couldn't find an information about how input 1 and input 2 can be panned for output 1 and output 2 (does the hamburger menu provide anything?). The only thing I could find was that Presonus calls the latter Playback stream 1 and 2. Seems as if there is no direct monitoring function in your audio interface, so you might need to set a DAW software inside your computer in between - and configure input and output inside the DAW.

There may be a small test to figure out what happens inside your audio interface: Just plug 1 of the two inputs to the interface and see
a) if a piano sounds better
b) if only one Main LED meter channel will light up or both. If both channels show up, it means that the signal is centered and may suffer from phase cancellation if both inputs will be plugged in.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
Mr_-G-
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by Mr_-G- »

Does this help? I do not have that interface, so I am not sure it does...
https://answers.presonus.com/28842/panning-not-working
EnvyYou
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Post by EnvyYou »

FZiegler wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 22:51
EnvyYou wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 16:37
FZiegler wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 08:06 For using the audio interface in a correct way, you may need to understand what it does by routing the signal. Maybe the Studio24 will mix the two inputs from the piano together and you get phase cancellation from the two signals. Try to use the Studio24 configuration software to pan both input signals hard left (ch1) and right (ch2); this may be enough to get the correct signal on output 1 and 2.
Do you have any idea how this can be done ? I have uploaded a photo of what i see with the audio box and i dont have anything else. Is there a software that i need or do you know what it may be called ?
I filed through the Studio 2|4 manual but couldn't find an information about how input 1 and input 2 can be panned for output 1 and output 2 (does the hamburger menu provide anything?). The only thing I could find was that Presonus calls the latter Playback stream 1 and 2. Seems as if there is no direct monitoring function in your audio interface, so you might need to set a DAW software inside your computer in between - and configure input and output inside the DAW.

There may be a small test to figure out what happens inside your audio interface: Just plug 1 of the two inputs to the interface and see
a) if a piano sounds better
b) if only one Main LED meter channel will light up or both. If both channels show up, it means that the signal is centered and may suffer from phase cancellation if both inputs will be plugged in.

1. When plugging into just one of the audio interfaces the piano doesn't sound any better or worse, just a lot quieter. Overall the sound isn't amazing if anything i have a digital piano from kawai that is cheap that sounds a lot better.
2. When only one is plugged in the LED meter will only light up on the input is active this happens for both connections never both.

In summary i kind of have two issues 1 where the White grand and other samples dont really sound their best with the JBL 305's others in this forum recommend them and even the shop says they are perfect for this use case. And 2 where this particular studio 24 produces a very soft sound. IT was tested at the shop with a drum machine and they found no issue, but they used totally different gear, bringing it back home still produced the same issue.

I guess maybe i could by new speakers and another audio box but would this even solve the issue ? Im sure the nord can sound a lot better than a digital piano
FZiegler
Donator

Post by FZiegler »

So, it doesn't look like phase cancellation being the issue. No other idea from my side.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
changearound
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Post by changearound »

1. If you play music from your PC into your speakers via the Preonus is the signal ok?

2. If you play your Nord into the Presonus and plug your headphones into the Presonus Headphone socket, does it sound OK.

3. Can you record the Nord on your PC?
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

changearound wrote: 01 May 2024, 22:49 1. If you play music from your PC into your speakers via the Preonus is the signal ok?

2. If you play your Nord into the Presonus and plug your headphones into the Presonus Headphone socket, does it sound OK.

3. Can you record the Nord on your PC?
4. what if you plug your Nord directly into the JBL monitors?
FZiegler
Donator

Post by FZiegler »

ad 4: see post #8.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

FZiegler wrote: 02 May 2024, 09:24 ad 4: see post #8.
Thanks FZiegler, I had missed that one
EnvyYou wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 16:32 2. When plugging the Nord directly into the speakers i could hear it, it was not soft anymore. It didn't sound as good as my head phones and the bass was a bit muddy maybe this is due to the quality of the JBL LSR305 ? Either way the piano was no where near as quite as going through the Studio 24
I own the previous version of those monitors and they have EQ controls on their back which can be used to adjust the sound + as with any nearfield monitor it is very critical to position them correctly with respect to the listener's head and at right distance from the wall.

In any case nothing can sound the same as (a good pair of) headphones, for simple physical reasons...