New Nord Piano 5 Advice Needed

Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.
EnvyYou
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Re: New Nord Piano 5 Advice Needed

Post by EnvyYou »

Nordlicht wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 17:10
EnvyYou wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 16:32 1. Yes this fender instrument cable is the same on both ends. Is this cable OK for the use that i have ? Or should i have a different one i just wanted to confirm this.
2. When plugging the Nord directly into the speakers i could hear it, it was not soft anymore. It didn't sound as good as my head phones and the bass was a bit muddy maybe this is due to the quality of the JBL LSR305 ? Either way the piano was no where near as quite as going through the Studio 24
3. When the Nord was plugged into the speakers with the XLR cable at the same time i had very bad buzzing sound just thought i would mention this.
4. With all the above being said why do you think it is so soft when connecting though the PreSonus ? Is it faulty ?
1. If you only want to amplify your piano in the room via the speakers you wouldn't need the audio interface. Then the "simple" connection with the two Fender cables (piano into JBL) would be the best and easiest solution. But you have to remove the XLR cables from the speakers.
2. I am using studio monitor speakers in my home "studio" as well (probably better ones then your JBL - it's the Neumann KH 120), but even with those the Nord pianos don't sound quite good and by far not as good as with headphones. So I assume it's a combination of your speakers and the room situation.
You can improve the sounds with the onboard EQ of the Nord Piano.
3. I assume you are allowed to use either the XLR jacks OR the TS jacks, but not both at the same time.
4. The Presonus might be fautly but you could check this with other devices (e.g. another keyboard or even listening to music with a smartphone and an adapter cable). Or it is a question of settings.
1. At the end of the day i want to be able to use my monitors to hear my PC sound / videos / backing tracks and be able to play my Nord at the same time. This is the main reason for me moving to a keyboard as i cannot do this on my upright acoustic piano.
2. If you have the Neumann KH 120 which i would consider pretty good speakers for the price point and the Nord Pianos don't sound good, then how can they be made to sound good ? I would argue that at this stage my cheap Kawai Digital piano sounds better than the Nord does. Is there any solution. I don't just want to always use headphones.
3. Yes i will confirm with the shop but it seems that the speakers do not like both inputs at once.
4. I have an electric guitar and it also sounds very quite though the same PreSonus inputs so i assume something is wrong, if you look at my post previous to yours you can see the only options i see in my PreSonus software. I dont see anywhere that i could possibly adjust instrument or line in settings.
Nordlicht
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Post by Nordlicht »

EnvyYou wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 17:47 2. If you have the Neumann KH 120 which i would consider pretty good speakers for the price point and the Nord Pianos don't sound good, then how can they be made to sound good ? I would argue that at this stage my cheap Kawai Digital piano sounds better than the Nord does. Is there any solution. I don't just want to always use headphones.
That's why I additionally bought the Nord Piano Monitors V2 for my Piano 5, as they provide a better and much more realistic piano sound.
Nord Piano 5 + Nord Piano Monitors, Nord Stage 4 Compact + other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/spektralfarben
EnvyYou

Post by EnvyYou »

Nordlicht wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 18:14
EnvyYou wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 17:47 2. If you have the Neumann KH 120 which i would consider pretty good speakers for the price point and the Nord Pianos don't sound good, then how can they be made to sound good ? I would argue that at this stage my cheap Kawai Digital piano sounds better than the Nord does. Is there any solution. I don't just want to always use headphones.
That's why I additionally bought the Nord Piano Monitors V2 for my Piano 5, as they provide a better and much more realistic piano sound.
Thank you for all your help thus far, i really appreciate it.
So in your opinion the Nord Monitors are better than any other you could get in its place ?

Thanks
Nordlicht
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Post by Nordlicht »

EnvyYou wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 19:13 So in your opinion the Nord Monitors are better than any other you could get in its place ?
Well, this is actually a very subjective and personal topic and decision. I've read many controversial reports about the Nord Monitors (too expensive, any studio speaker like e.g. Yamaha HS series is suitable/better), but I wasn't happy with my former HS7 at all and the Neumanns are not perfect either (compared with the headphones experience).
So I tried the Nord Monitors within the 30 day money-back offer from my shop - with my own ears and at home - and was very satisfied. But of course there is no guarantee, and others seem to be happy with "normal" studio monitors.
Nord Piano 5 + Nord Piano Monitors, Nord Stage 4 Compact + other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/spektralfarben
be lee vit
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by be lee vit »

quoted from EnvyYou:
“Do you have any idea how this can be done ? I have uploaded a photo of what i see with the audio box and i dont have anything else. Is there a software that i need or do you know what it may be called ?”

Hello and welcome to the forum! The screenshot you provided shows the driver software for your Presonus interface. The software you would likely need to edit the sound would be a digital audio workstation more commonly known as a DAW. If you bought your Presonus new it should come with a DAW program called Studio One. Even if you bought it used it is possible to have the original seller transfer the license for a fee (about $25 usd). This is what I did recently.

Barnaby
65 Wurlitzer 720B, 59-ish Hammond M3 & 50's Leslie 44W
EnvyYou

Post by EnvyYou »

be lee vit wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 20:11 quoted from EnvyYou:
“Do you have any idea how this can be done ? I have uploaded a photo of what i see with the audio box and i dont have anything else. Is there a software that i need or do you know what it may be called ?”

Hello and welcome to the forum! The screenshot you provided shows the driver software for your Presonus interface. The software you would likely need to edit the sound would be a digital audio workstation more commonly known as a DAW. If you bought your Presonus new it should come with a DAW program called Studio One. Even if you bought it used it is possible to have the original seller transfer the license for a fee (about $25 usd). This is what I did recently.

Barnaby
Yes i purchased my Presonus interface brand new and registered the product when i log in i can see i have the option to download Studio One Version 5. And apologies for the newbie question but do you know of any good resource i could use that could help me navigate this program and do the following "software to pan both input signals hard left (ch1) and right (ch2); this may be enough to get the correct signal on output 1 and 2."

I have only ever played acoustic pianos and i have no idea about this stuff. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, i would be able to navigate quite well with a guide.

Thanks
be lee vit
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by be lee vit »

Yes there is a manual for Studio One. Here’s a link to the web based version: https://s1manual.presonus.com/en/#Intr ... ath=_____1

They also sent you a pdf version I believe when you registered with Presonus. I think there are some good YouTube tutorials but I haven’t really explored those.
65 Wurlitzer 720B, 59-ish Hammond M3 & 50's Leslie 44W
changearound
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Post by changearound »

It 's worth checking the Mixer knob on the Presonus. This controls the relative volume of Inputs (in your case NP5) and Playback (anything coming from your computer) that gets sent to the Main Outs. The further clockwise it's set, less signal from the Inputs is being sent to the Main Outs.

Also, when you play the Nord are the LEDs registering on the Presonus?
EnvyYou

Post by EnvyYou »

changearound wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 21:09 It 's worth checking the Mixer knob on the Presonus. This controls the relative volume of Inputs (in your case NP5) and Playback (anything coming from your computer) that gets sent to the Main Outs. The further clockwise it's set, less signal from the Inputs is being sent to the Main Outs.

The Presonus mixer knob is right in the middle, as for the LED, yes i am seeing the leds light up it even sometimes goes to red if i hit the keys hard but its still quiet.

Thanks
changearound
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Post by changearound »

EnvyYou wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 22:21
changearound wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 21:09 It 's worth checking the Mixer knob on the Presonus. This controls the relative volume of Inputs (in your case NP5) and Playback (anything coming from your computer) that gets sent to the Main Outs. The further clockwise it's set, less signal from the Inputs is being sent to the Main Outs.

The Presonus mixer knob is right in the middle, as for the LED, yes i am seeing the leds light up it even sometimes goes to red if i hit the keys hard but its still quiet.

Thanks
Try moving Mixer towards Inputs. Does this help at all?