Controlling Osc Ctrl for different layers

Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer
alexr
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Controlling Osc Ctrl for different layers

Post by alexr »

I have a cool arp patch using 3 different layers. I want to be able to modify the Osc Ctrl value for each layer independently with MIDI controllers (whether on the Nord Wave 2 or externally)..

It doesn't seem possible on the Nord Wave 2. If you assign the wheel or a pedal it would only modify currently selected layers. Maybe I want to turn one layer down and the other one up at the same time. I don't see a way.

Using an external MIDI controller, you could ostensibly send the CC# for Osc Ctrl on different channels per layer, but I don't see the CC# for Osc Ctrl.

So when I perform this patch and switch layers and move the Osc Ctrl knob the sound jumps because Nord doesn't use endless rotary knobs. You have to use Monitor to figure out where the knob was last while performing.

Weird.
tsss27
Patch Creator

Re: Controlling Osc Ctrl for different layers

Post by tsss27 »

I must be missing something or misunderstanding what you're trying to do because I'm not sure why setting up a morph source wouldn't work? Set the value you want for each layer independently and then the morph should work on all selected layers with the separate values you've chosen. If you don't want all 3 layers playing all the time just morph the layer levels. You can absolutely set up each layer to have a different osc ctrl and level morph assignment.
alexr

Post by alexr »

Thanks much for the reply. I was confused, but now see that morphs can apply to controls of a specific layer. It would be impractical if you couldn't do that!

I can use wheel for 1 layer, pedal for another, and be able to play with Osc Ctrl for those 2 layers independently (I just want 1 morph per layer so I move them as I want to live).

Would be nice if there were more morph knobs or sliders. That would be Tangerine Dream heaven!
tsss27
Patch Creator

Post by tsss27 »

You still have aftertouch however that's maybe not so practical for your particular patch.
There's also the impulse morph, though that is just on/off and I tend to forget about that one. I wish there was a morph knob or something instead of a button.
alexr

Post by alexr »

So I ended up hooking up the Nord Wave 2 to my iPad with the Ribn app which has 8 horizontal sliders that can be assigned to MIDI channels and CC #s. With OSC CTRL assigned to morph wheel for 1 layer and morph pedal for another layer I was then able to assign Ribn sliders to those CC #s for mod wheel and expression pedal. And then assign 6 more sliders to filter controls etc. Really helps when you are manipulating arp parameters in real time to see the relationship between the different settings. X-Y pads would be better to map 2 settings in 1 control together but good enough for now! Ribn is $4 and damn easy to use but only 3 presets.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

alexr wrote:So I ended up hooking up the Nord Wave 2 to my iPad with the Ribn app which has 8 horizontal sliders that can be assigned to MIDI channels and CC #s. With OSC CTRL assigned to morph wheel for 1 layer and morph pedal for another layer I was then able to assign Ribn sliders to those CC #s for mod wheel and expression pedal. And then assign 6 more sliders to filter controls etc. Really helps when you are manipulating arp parameters in real time to see the relationship between the different settings. X-Y pads would be better to map 2 settings in 1 control together but good enough for now! Ribn is $4 and damn easy to use but only 3 presets.
Take a look at MIDI Designer if you need a more flexible app for that purpose https://mididesigner.com
cgrafx
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by cgrafx »

Or touchOSC. Which has a fully customizable interface with knobs, buttons, sliders, x-y controllers, etc
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey