Van Halen - Jump

Share and download User samples and project files (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4, *.nsmproj)"
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of patches and samples.
neolithic
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Van Halen - Jump

Post by neolithic »

This patch was originally requested in another thread (Electro forum) but i'm continuing here as it's more relevant.

Patch for Van Halen's Jump which was created on a Prophet 08, and is very similar to the original Oberheim OBX synth.

Since the original post I have also added a NS2 program with the prophet sample in Slot A and the closest approximation I can get with the NS2 synth in Slot B, in case you don't want to use a sample.

Here's a link to the short sample demo I already uploaded: You can get the Prophet patch from the other thread (i didn't want to upload them all twice) here's a link:

nord-electro-forum-f9/jump-patch-t8479.html#p54610
Attachments
Jump Synth.nsmp
Jump synth sample
(3.64 MiB) Downloaded 1026 times
NM Jump Halen.ns2p
Jump - NS2 Program
(547 Bytes) Downloaded 590 times
These users thanked the author neolithic for the post (total 6):
Marlowes, Leo Castro, pablomastodon, DJKeys, bluesbaba, WannitBBBad
And now for something completely different...
Mr_-G-

Re: Van Halen - Jump

Post by Mr_-G- »

There is already a NS2 program in the factory set called "Go and Jump"
neolithic
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Re: Van Halen - Jump

Post by neolithic »

Mr_-G- wrote:There is already a NS2 program in the factory set called "Go and Jump"
I mentioned in the other thread (linked above) that this patch doesn't quite do it for me, and also the OP on that thread had an Electro so needed a sample-based approach. I only added the NS2 patch here for the sake of completeness, as I had already gone to the trouble of sampling it. I know :o what a hypocrite I am having said so many times that IMHO synths should be programmed and not sampled! :D
I should have compared the factory preset 'Go and Jump' to my P08 one, but I had already deleted it from my NS2 - probably because it didn't sound right.
Incidentally the P08 also has a jump patch as a factory preset (what synth doesn't?) but it sounds completely wrong also, and I think relies on 4 oscs (2 slots) so halves the polyphony to 4 notes - which is no good. I spent a lot of time playing with a real OBX and an oscilloscope to make the P08 patch with 2 oscs, although it does require an external chorus pedal and reverb fx to make it work, as the P08 has neither on-board.
And now for something completely different...