All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Triple Pedal Mod!

Postby redisred » 23 Jan 2018, 22:20

The cable on my Triple Pedal failed, and I feel like I've been having this problem for my whole life as a keyboard player, no matter how carefully and gently I wrap the cable. So, I decided to permanently rid myself of this issue and I thought you all would appreciate the result. I installed a TRS jack into an empty cavity on the side and then plugged in a standard TRS cable from the pedal to the keyboard. Works great! Now, if/when the cable breaks, I'll just pull out the spare and plug it in.
Attachments
IMG_3864.jpg
IMG_3864.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 4417 times
IMG_3863.jpg
IMG_3863.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 4417 times

The author redisred was thanked by 2 members, including:
TomerBerretje
redisred

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro

Triple Pedal Mod!

Sponsor

Re: Triple Pedal Mod!

Postby maxpiano » 23 Jan 2018, 23:03

A good idea and neatly done :thumbup:
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Jonnie Cache » 23 Jan 2018, 23:20

redisred wrote:The cable on my Triple Pedal failed, and I feel like I've been having this problem for my whole life as a keyboard player, no matter how carefully and gently I wrap the cable. So, I decided to permanently rid myself of this issue and I thought you all would appreciate the result. I installed a TRS jack into an empty cavity on the side and then plugged in a standard TRS cable from the pedal to the keyboard. Works great! Now, if/when the cable breaks, I'll just pull out the spare and plug it in.

If you can, it would be great if you could post pics from the inside along with info on the jack (part number, where to order, etc).
Jonnie Cache

Postby AlexNagel » 24 Jan 2018, 00:20

Jonnie Cache wrote:
redisred wrote:The cable on my Triple Pedal failed, and I feel like I've been having this problem for my whole life as a keyboard player, no matter how carefully and gently I wrap the cable. So, I decided to permanently rid myself of this issue and I thought you all would appreciate the result. I installed a TRS jack into an empty cavity on the side and then plugged in a standard TRS cable from the pedal to the keyboard. Works great! Now, if/when the cable breaks, I'll just pull out the spare and plug it in.

If you can, it would be great if you could post pics from the inside along with info on the jack (part number, where to order, etc).

https://www.thomann.de/de/goeldo_j0019_stereoklinkenbuchse.htm that's about all you need :-)
AlexNagel
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby redisred » 26 Jan 2018, 02:14

yeah exactly, all I did was get that, drill a hole and solder it with a short cut of the original cable. The hardest part was where to make the hole, you just have to make some measurements of the inside and the pedal assembly to get the jack into the cavity.
redisred

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro

Postby derrellpiper » 26 Jan 2018, 06:22

Nice hack!
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.
derrellpiper

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Postby Mr Nordic » 15 Mar 2018, 07:03

This is a great idea. Whether you store your Triple Pedal in the original box or a gig bag, the cable is always going to get bent where it exits the pedal housing. This obviates that problem. I'll be modding mine soon. Thanks for the outstanding idea.
Mr Nordic

Postby DefCello » 13 Jun 2019, 18:08

For folks looking for inside pictures, here's the details I posted in another thread (nord-stage-forum-f3/sustain-pedal-is-not-working-t1891-10.html?fbclid=IwAR39Byp-tUgyrXJ7JZA8dhZn7bcye24EDvCYqkosz6gwT2eoS8xtQFwgjcY#p52002):

What you'll need:
  • Wire Cutters
  • Soldering Iron + Solder
  • Chassis-Mountable 1/4" Female Stereo Phono Jack; I used http://www.unicornelex.com/1_4_Stereo_I ... 3-0558.htm and it barely fit. "Isolated" not necessary since it is a plastic box. Tricky part is finding one with enough threading to clamp onto the thick plastic housing of the tri-pedal assembly. Note that you may also opt for another type of jack such as 1/8" stereo phono
  • Drill
  • Phillips Screw Driver
  • 1/4" stereo phono patch cable; I use this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006 ... UTF8&psc=1 Depending on the condition of your current pedal cable, you may be able to make your own with the leftover wire from this mod and a male 1/4" stereo phono plug.

First, carefully open the pedal assembly using the Phillips screwdriver. You probably don't have to completely take it apart like I did in the picture, but you need to get access to the cable and the inside of the pedal box.

Once opened, cut the pedal wire down to 6-12 inches (15-30cm) in length from the pedal box, with one end still soldered to the pedal circuit board.

Strip and solder the loose end of the cable to the 1/4" stereo phono jack. If you forget which wire goes where, they label them on the pedal circuit board:

Finally, drill a properly-sized hole in the top portion of your pedal box and mount the phono jack. The good news is there's actually quite a bit of extra space in the pedal box, so it's going to be pretty easy to find a good mounting point.

Voila! Your Nord tri-pedal can now be connected using ANY 1/4" stereo phono patch cable, and the cable can be easily disconnected for safe travel. If you'd like, you can buy a 1/4" male stereo phono jack and put it on the leftover cable instead of buying/making a new patch cable. I'm guessing, however, that the reason you'd be considering this mod is because your cable has already gone bad, in which case you'll probably have to buy a new cable. For a while I used an 1/8" phono patch cable with 1/8"->1/4" adapters on either end; it's a pretty versatile mod!

I hope this is helpful to other folks looking to fix/prevent broken pedal cables!

The author DefCello was thanked by:
Tracii
DefCello

Postby Nordmutt2 » 05 Aug 2019, 05:31

THANKS! Awesome job. I have thought about doing this myself. Like so many of us, I honestly don't know why ALL damper pedals don't come like this.
I like the Roland Pedals because of the feel and half damper capability.
Nordmutt2

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby JCsmartpill2 » 26 Nov 2022, 20:17

Great Idea!.... But why doesn't Nord already do thIs... Cables fail all the time.. Even Neutrik cables... This is a $300 item... What's up with that?
JCsmartpill2

Return to Accessories and Amplification