All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: Gear Alert: Radial Engineering Key Largo

Postby Nordmutt2 » 15 Dec 2017, 06:36

Cphollis -

Read your review of the Stage 3 - seems like you are loving it. (What's not to love) If I could get a decent buck for my Stage 2, I would be all over it!

Do you put the key Largo on the floor and use any pedal functions?

I love the compact size and the Di - Out.
Was hoping to use my new IPAD Pro for some sounds live, not an iphone.

So, I only use 2 Nords live - and I use in-ears most of the time.
Just wondering if a $100 Yamaha mixer with Stereo XLR outs - will suit my needs instead of the Key Largo.

Thanks
Nordmutt2

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby cphollis » 15 Dec 2017, 19:11

Your $100 Yamaha mixer is probably the MG06. I have one of those, and it does exactly what it sets out to do, no more and no less. No complaints for what it does.

I usually play through higher-end speakers (not IEMs) and there was a noticeable improvement in sound quality moving from the MG06 to the Key Largo. I probably wouldn't have noticed much of anything if I was playing through, say, my CPS SSv3. One of the advantages of the Key Largo (or any mixer with separate aux/monitor levels) is that I can change my stage volume without goosing the FOH feed. MG06 doesn't do that, although I could monitor from the headphone out.

My KL lives on the floor where it belongs. I don't use any of the pedal functions today. Sort of set and forget, unless I need to increase my stage volume thanks to enthusiastic guitar players. Plenty of hot, clean output. I'm probably going to invest in a pricey stereo volume pedal and the required TRS cabling at some point. I also am going to see if the "sustain" button can function as a momentary leslie switch, which would mean one less pedal on the floor.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Quai34 » 16 Dec 2017, 00:36

Hi Cphollis,
I'm not sure what you want to do with your stereo volume pedal? Do you mean, you are going to go from the Stage 3 out, to the volume stereo pedal in, then the pedal out, then into the Keylargo inputs, and all connections in stereo L/R? But why you don't use any of the Stage 3 control pedal for your volume?
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby cphollis » 16 Dec 2017, 04:51

Good question. I keep forgetting that with my newest config (NS3 Compact on top, NP2 used as a controller below) I now have a single point of control for just about everything.

So never mind!

BTW, I need to give it more time, but that config seriously rocks on so many levels. Very happy.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby ajstan » 11 Mar 2018, 00:52

For me, the two key functions missing from the KL are a headphone jack with amplification and a way to receive an aux feed that goes to the monitor outs, but not the main outs.

Both issues seem to have been solved by adding a Behringer Micromon MA400, which gives me the option for using IEMs or my QSC K8.2s to monitor in stereo while controlling the levels of both my NS3 and the Aux feed.

I connect the TRS stereo effects send on the KL to the TRS monitor input on the ML400 and I can also take an XLR feed from the Aux on main board. From there, it’s just a question of where I want the audio to go. I can mix my NS3 and the Aux feed to headphones, or I can send the KL stereo monitor outs to channel A on the QSCs and use the ML400 to control the level of the Aux feed to channel B on the QSCs. Pretty cool upgrade for $25.

UPDATE: I emailed Radial and they recommend using the Monitor Outs to the headphone amp as they are line level instead of the Effects Send, which is instrument level.
Last edited by ajstan on 15 Mar 2018, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby kbrkr » 11 Mar 2018, 23:18

Nordmutt2 wrote:I have to say, I am a little disappointed with the Key Largo.
The USB does NOT work with IOS devices. There are so many great apps out there - C'mon!
The Sustain Pedal is silly - it clicks on and off like a momentary switch. What?
Unfortunately, I will never use the Effects loops or the USB for laptop - Think it is overkill for me.

All the video's i've seen refer to the Sustain switch as Momentary. Which version do you have?
https://www.soundonsound.com/news/radia ... yboardists
kbrkr
Patch Creator

Postby HokieKev » 15 Jun 2019, 03:47

Nordmutt2 wrote:I have to say, I am a little disappointed with the Key Largo.
The USB does NOT work with IOS devices. There are so many great apps out there - C'mon!
The Sustain Pedal is silly - it clicks on and off like a momentary switch. What?
Unfortunately, I will never use the Effects loops or the USB for laptop - Think it is overkill for me.

Resurrecting this old thread...

This may be of limited help to the iOS fans out there. But today I used my new iPad Pro (which has a USB C) connected to the Key Largo and used Garage Band to play sounds through the Key Largo into a pair of QSC monitors. I am really excited about this. I have a ton of sound module apps that run on iOS. I use a Yamaha Bluetooth Wireless mIdi device to send MIDI to the iPad. And the Key Largo to send the USB sound to the monitors. You just need a USB c to USB B adapter or cable.

The author HokieKev was thanked by:
Nordmutt2
HokieKev

Postby cgrafx » 15 Jun 2019, 08:07

If your going to use this live, just be aware that bluetooth is not a reliable wireless connection. I would never use bluetooth in any mission critical application.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby PScooter63 » 15 Jun 2019, 15:03

cgrafx wrote:I would never use bluetooth in any mission critical application.

For transmitting patch changes (iPad/ForScore to NE4/Yamaha MD-BT01), it's just fine onstage. In the last two years I've had it, it never wavers, always reliable, no noticeable delay in execution.

Note that I do NOT depend on this rig to transmit live performance note data to SampleTank or GarageBand, or whatever.

I also have a BT page turn pedal in the mix, too. Caveat about that particular piece of kit: when coming back from the usual 15-20 minute break, the Yamaha MIDI connection is always fine, but waking the pedal back up can be a bit dicey. Sometimes I have to cajole it to pair up again (cycle the Bluetooth on the iPad, etc.). But once it's there, it's there for the duration of the set. I've learned to allow an extra minute when returning to the stage for this.
PScooter63

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby HokieKev » 16 Jun 2019, 01:35

Yea - that is the one that I have, Yamaha Wireless MD-BT01 5-PIN DIN MIDI Adapter. I have found it to be rock solid - even for note data.
HokieKev

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories and Amplification