Everything about the Clavia Nord Modular G2, G1, and Micromodular Synthesizers.

NM G2 on Windows 10 64-bit

Postby realtrance » 21 Sep 2015, 21:05

Hi,

Tech support question, perhaps.

I had my Nord Modular G2 Editor (version 1.62) running fine under Windows 8.1-64-bit, then "upgraded" (at least that's what MS calls it) to Windows 10.

Now, when I try to start up the Editor (without my G2 attached, it's packed away and a bit of work to get to unless I'm specifically using it), I get a Visual C++ Runtime error: "this application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way." [how helpful!]

What I've tried:

1. Googling that -- no useful info, seems to refer in some cases to msvcrt.dll, which in Windows 10 is updated.
2. Uninstalling and reinstalling the software, both in the Program Files(86) directory, and in root -- no difference.
3. Disabling/enabling audio interfaces -- makes no difference.
4. Have tried all possible compatibility/permissions stuff, makes no difference, either.

I know Windows does some trickery with WinSXS (Side by Side) stuff, I don't have a clue about all that and it looks like a daunting subject.

The one thing I haven't tried yet is starting it up with the G2 attached and turned on, I don't see the G2 USB driver in my Device Manager -- could that be a factor?

Anyways, any and all hints or tips would be most welcome, thank you.
Last edited by realtrance on 21 Sep 2015, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
realtrance

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular

NM G2 on Windows 10 64-bit

Sponsor

Re: NM G2 on Windows 10 64-bit

Postby pablomastodon » 22 Sep 2015, 05:13

Sorry to have to say this, but...really? It's too much trouble for you to get your instrument out of the closet to connect it to your computer before bringing this problem to others?

What I can say is that I blew almost a complete workday undoing the mess created by allowing Win10 to install on my computer. Won't be doing that again... XP remains my current fave, but I tolerate Win7 on one of my machines. Win95 was the best...been downhill ever since.

Please test it out with your Nord connected and come back with report of success or failure and we'll go from there.

Also, as you may note from the forum Portal page, there is not much Modular traffic here. Many would be happy to see that change, and Modular users and questions are more than welcome here, but as a practical matter Modulars get about 1/100th of the attention of Nord Stage models and 1/50th of Electro models. Electro-Music.com is where most of the hardcore modular activity goes on.

Bless,

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby realtrance » 22 Sep 2015, 23:00

Hi Pablo,

Thanks for your reply. I thought I'd mention it in case this is a well-known issue and here's an answer readily available. I'll dig things out and try again.

Have been to electro-music, but things are pretty slow on older instruments there, too, unfortunately.
realtrance

Postby Mr_-G- » 22 Sep 2015, 23:39

Didn't some new windows version have a "legacy" mode that would allow to run programs written for old Win versions?
Unfortunately computer OSs bring another layer of 'programmed obsolescence'. :(
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby realtrance » 23 Sep 2015, 01:52

Ultimately, this is why I am disinclined to have hardware instruments that are dependent on software for part of their functionality, no matter how brilliantly they are designed.

You can set "compatibility" to previous versions of Windows for any program, this has been true from Win7 on, but that doesn't always work.

I've seen elsewhere that the G2 works under Win10, so it's just a question of figuring things out, eventually. Meanwhile, I have plenty of good stuff in the G2 that doesn't need a PC, plus an older Mac laptop that will still happily interface with it.

I'm sure there are millions out there happy with Win10, but I just see it so far as yet another MS disaster. They should just give up, and make the OS open source. Their support is laughable; their ability to solve problems the same. Microsoft "Edge," their new browser, is like a child's toy, and untrustworthy. It is just astonishing that the company can flounder around so badly, for so long, and still exist. Oh well. :)
realtrance

Postby realtrance » 27 Sep 2015, 00:48

UPDATE NOTE: in case anyone else finds this thread via Google: for some utterly inconceivable reason, at least on my system, the installed Nord Modular G2 Editor version 1.62 executable from Clavia, and downloaded from their website, only runs in Windows 10 if you set it to Win95 compatibility mode.

Of course! :facepalm: The Nord Modular 2, which was released in 2004, must have had its original editor released for Windows 95, which was retired in, let me see.... 1998. Yes... yes... that makes PERFECT sense!

Win95 was really the last version of Windows that was any good, actually, come to think of it.... so I guess actually it does makes sense! ;)
Last edited by realtrance on 27 Sep 2015, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.
realtrance

Postby maxpiano » 27 Sep 2015, 06:41

Alternative: create a Windows XP virtual machine (using VirtualBoax or any other virtualizer) and run the NM Editor in it
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby pablomastodon » 27 Sep 2015, 08:09

realtrance wrote:...Win95 was really the last version of Windows that was any good, actually, come to think of it....

I'll agree with that 100%!
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby SamwiseGanges » 28 Feb 2018, 03:16

I know this is an old thread, but at this point it's a bit of a "sticky" thread, and often the first thing that comes up when searching for interfacing the G2 with Windows 10.

Here are the things that I needed to do to get mine to work with my machine (Win 10 64 bit) so nobody else has to go through the frustration:
1. Use a Powered USB Hub
After hours of fiddling with drivers to get my G2 to connect to my laptop (an HP TouchSmart Elitebook), I realized that it won't connect properly unless it's plugged in through my powered USB hub. My guess is that the laptop doesn't provide enough current to the USB ports natively (even when the laptop is plugged into a power supply). Try this if you've installed the right drivers and get an error message saying USB device not recognized or could not connect properly. This is the exact error code I get when looking at the driver properties in Device manager: "This device cannot start. (Code 10) A request for the USB device descriptor failed."

2. Download and use the Clavia driver 3.02.4, NOT 2.16 (which is still the one listed on the Modular G2 page)
You'll have to go to one of the newer Clavia synth downloads pages to get this. I went to the Nord Lead 4 (such a sad downgrade from the G2X) here:
http://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads/ ... ord-lead-4
I've also attached the zipped files here.

I'll also note that the Clavia Modular G2 editor software runs fine on my Windows 10 machine without having to be in Windows 95 or other compatibility modes, but this doesn't seem to be the case foe everyone. It likely has to do with what service pack you're on or other updates.

I hope this helps any other Nord Modular lovers out there frustrated by the EOL issues and maybe quell the general sense of abandonment by Clavia :lol:
-Samwise
Attachments
Clavia USB Driver v3.02.4 Setup.zip
Newest Clavia synth drivers
(299.24 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
SamwiseGanges

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Postby poesboes » 07 Oct 2018, 15:21

Just to add: I have the editor is running fine on an Asus desktop PC with Windows 10 64-bit build 17134. I just had to use a USB 2 port on the PC. The G2 was NOT detected on any USB 3 port; i get the " A request for the USB descriptor failed" message.
Last edited by poesboes on 07 Oct 2018, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
poesboes

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Next

Return to Nord Modular Forum