General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), and Nord Stage 3 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: NS3 Velocity and General Sound vs NS2

Postby stringtapper » 15 Feb 2018, 16:24

Yes baekgaard is correct!

Sorry for any confusion!
Nord Stage 3 Compact 73//Korg SV-1 88//MOTU 828x//Roland FC-300//2016 MacBook Pro//MainStage 3//Omnisphere 2//Komplete 11//Live 9//Max 7//3x Moog Mother-32//Eurorack Modular

The author stringtapper was thanked by:
baekgaard
stringtapper

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Sponsor

Postby aureliopenna » 16 Feb 2018, 02:52

Oh I see.
It's ok, In that situation of course is a MIDI double that cause a "phase" effect.
aureliopenna

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby analogika » 19 Feb 2018, 09:50

Heh. Somebody drug up a thread from the early days of the Stage 2, making it clear that velocity on that machine was almost uncontrollably sensitive.

nord-stage-forum-f3/nord-stage-2-keyboard-velocity-curve-dynamics-t868.html

Happy to say that they’ve finally fixed it in the Stage 3.

:-)
Current gear: analogika hamburg

The author analogika was thanked by 2 members, including:
Hobsterbaekgaard
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby solmaster » 19 Feb 2018, 13:49

analogika wrote:Heh. Somebody drug up a thread from the early days of the Stage 2, making it clear that velocity on that machine was almost uncontrollably sensitive.

nord-stage-forum-f3/nord-stage-2-keyboard-velocity-curve-dynamics-t868.html

Happy to say that they’ve finally fixed it in the Stage 3.

:-)

Thought this thread was exhausted! Fuel to the fire!
solmaster

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Postby Mr_-G- » 19 Feb 2018, 14:06

As I understand it, the issue here that people are claiming different experiences with different keybed models? I.e. compact vs HA when compared to the NS2/EX?
Mr_-G-

Postby baekgaard » 19 Feb 2018, 14:34

Mr_-G- wrote:As I understand it, the issue here that people are claiming different experiences with different keybed models? I.e. compact vs HA when compared to the NS2/EX?

It looks like there are multiple views on this and no clear conclusion, as mentioned here.

In any case, this one that I stumbled over last week claims a difference between the NS2 HA and the NS2 EX HA (I think)... there is maybe some deja vu with the NS3 release.

So it is possible that we all adjust to our current keyboards and have difficulties adjusting to the new ones -- unless we find the new ones better than the old ones :-)

Either that, or keyboards just magically improve over time the more we use them...
Last edited by baekgaard on 19 Feb 2018, 14:37, edited 2 times in total.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby Larsdka » 19 Feb 2018, 16:58

Hi Bækgaard, I assume that i´ts mine “old” post that you have been digging in and read..
Ther was a difference back then from the Nord stage 2HA 76 VS NS2EX, and yes i had to get used to that..
This time its only that i´d tried to get used to NS3 VS NS2EX the last 4 month and I must come to that conclusion that it´s the NS3 velocity thats not working for me (and many others). There are no Dynamics anymore, you can either play soft or loud, no in between. The bass region sounds syntetic,and the way the tone / Samples rings out doesnt sound natural like in the NS2EX,sorry to say.. (i have a upright piano here myself and no how to play the real thing, and now how it should sound.. When all that´s said, i think the NS3 in general have a problem with the pianosounds, that the sound is not open,like there is a kind of compression going on. I love Nords piano samples and with a A/B side by side, i must just say that the Ns3 doesnt inspire me like my NS2EX, and i dont wanna be gigging with it,i use my NS2EX, that says something,i think.. But the synth/organ is an great improvement.. But again, unfortunally i cant use it as it is right now,playing piano..
And if that´s not a problem ,that Nord have to deal with, i think they have a problem..

The author Larsdka was thanked by:
aureliopenna
Larsdka

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby baekgaard » 19 Feb 2018, 22:13

Hej Lars!

Larsdka wrote:Hi Bækgaard, I assume that i´ts mine “old” post that you have been digging in and read.

Yes -- which is why I asked here whether the keyboard could have changed over time, since you initially was very unhappy with the action, or what happened. Out of curiosity, since the complaints then seemed somewhat similar to now.

Ther was a difference back then from the Nord stage 2HA 76 VS NS2EX, and yes i had to get used to that.

OK, thanks for clarifying.
baekgaard

Postby aureliopenna » 24 Feb 2018, 05:45

Larsdka wrote:Hi Bækgaard, I assume that i´ts mine “old” post that you have been digging in and read..
Ther was a difference back then from the Nord stage 2HA 76 VS NS2EX, and yes i had to get used to that..
This time its only that i´d tried to get used to NS3 VS NS2EX the last 4 month and I must come to that conclusion that it´s the NS3 velocity thats not working for me (and many others). There are no Dynamics anymore, you can either play soft or loud, no in between. The bass region sounds syntetic,and the way the tone / Samples rings out doesnt sound natural like in the NS2EX,sorry to say.. (i have a upright piano here myself and no how to play the real thing, and now how it should sound.. When all that´s said, i think the NS3 in general have a problem with the pianosounds, that the sound is not open,like there is a kind of compression going on. I love Nords piano samples and with a A/B side by side, i must just say that the Ns3 doesnt inspire me like my NS2EX, and i dont wanna be gigging with it,i use my NS2EX, that says something,i think.. But the synth/organ is an great improvement.. But again, unfortunally i cant use it as it is right now,playing piano..
And if that´s not a problem ,that Nord have to deal with, i think they have a problem..

Man I feel exactly the same, I really don't understand why other user are feeling NS3 that great, where It ISN'T. Maybe just people who serious plays PIANO will figure it out and understand how it doens't react to play like NS2.

Despite of the thread name, my complain is acctualy is not against the velocity, but the compressed sound that doesn't sound natural no matter what you do.
aureliopenna

Postby baekgaard » 24 Feb 2018, 11:59

aureliopenna wrote:... I really don't understand why other user are feeling NS3 that great, where It ISN'T. Maybe just people who serious plays PIANO will figure it out

It starts to get a little repetitive...

Are you really saying that everyone that hasn't realised the NS3 is not great is not a serious piano player? And that it is a universal fact that the NS3 is not a great keyboard?

These are pretty harsh words (and wrong, in my humble opinion). So I TRULY HOPE that what you said above is just a result of your frustration with the keyboard and the lack of unanimous agreement here.

I man, in your mind, how many years of experience does it take to become a player that is allowed to hold opinions on pianos? How many other keyboards do you need to own? How many acoustic pianos (uprights and grands)? How often should you have tuned your own piano(s)? Or how many piano tuners do you need to have amongst your personal friends :-) So I guess you were not really serious.

Could I kindly suggest that you consider that maybe there are just different perceptions of what a good keyboard is? And that it may actually work for some of us?

I fully accept that it doesn't work for you and for some others; so much that you said you were selling yours. But I don't claim you're a lousy player or work for the competition just because of that :-)

The author baekgaard was thanked by 7 members, including:
solmasteranalogikaDanielD71BjoskoHobstertomziRichardG
baekgaard

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Stage Forum