This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Stage 2EX v. Electro 5HP

Postby NordRita » 09 Feb 2018, 21:52

They are both the same price and both have HP keys, which one do you like best as far as features?
NordRita

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Stage 2EX v. Electro 5HP

Sponsor

Re: Stage 2EX v. Electro 5HP

Postby ericL » 09 Feb 2018, 22:13

The Stage 2EX has many more features. Here are a couple of resources for you, if you're interested.

My review of original NS2 (same features as 2EX other than memory increases and cosmetic changes).
https://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/clavia-nord-stage-2

My review of the NE5, in which I include some commentary about how I used the NE5 as a "poor man's NS2."
https://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/nord-e ... 5-reviewed

Between the two at the same price, most definitely get the NS2EX if you care about having lots of capabilities.
The only thing better in the NE5 is the organ engine - it sounds better and has a better Leslie simulation with the Close 122 setting.

Also, the OLED display and Set List organization function is a big improvement on the NE5.
Last edited by ericL on 09 Feb 2018, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.

The author ericL was thanked by:
NordRita
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Rusty Mike » 10 Feb 2018, 00:05

I think it comes down to how much you need/want more in-depth synthesizer capabilities.

The Electro can play back synthesizer samples from the Nord Library. You have some rudimentary control over envelope and dynamics, but not much more. You have no filter, no mod wheel, no pitch bend, no aftertouch and no option for a monophonic mode for solos. The Stage, however has all of that and more. It has a synth engine based on the Nord Wave and is very capable.

Like Eric said, the organ is a bit better on the E5, but the Stage 2EX organ is no slouch. I upgraded from an Electro 3HP to the Stage 2EX HP because it's a great single keyboard solution for pretty much all of my needs.

Being equal price, the Stage 2EX is a better value. If you are super picky about the organ sound, and less concerned about robust synth capabilities, the Electro is a fine purchase.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Nords: Piano 5 73, Stage 2EX 76 HP, Electro 6D 73

The author Rusty Mike was thanked by:
NordRita
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby anotherscott » 10 Feb 2018, 00:13

...and if you're super picky about organ, you're probably not getting a board with an HP action anyway.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
NordRita
anotherscott

Postby Rusty Mike » 10 Feb 2018, 03:02

One more thought: think of the Stage as the equivalent of two Electros, plus two sections of the synthesizer.

You have the flexibility to layer or split two pianos, which you can’t do with the Electro. This allows you to put a piano with a softer bass and brighter treble together, so you can have a strong solo sound without a loud bass getting in the way. You can layer an AP and EP to thicken up your sound.

Ok, I’m done
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Nords: Piano 5 73, Stage 2EX 76 HP, Electro 6D 73

The author Rusty Mike was thanked by:
NordRita
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby cphollis » 13 Feb 2018, 05:48

I'm with Rusty Mike.

All things being equal, I'd do the Nord Stage 2 EX for the reasons mentioned above.

Yes, the NE5 has nice upgrades here and there, like the OLED display, incrementally better B3 sim, etc. none of which are unwanted. If you're a Nord Electro fan, maybe the way to go?

But the raw sonic firepower of the NS2EX (A/B panel, real synth section, flexible routing, etc.) puts it out way ahead. Especially if we're talking the same price.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby harmonizer » 13 Feb 2018, 06:28

Rusty Mike wrote:(...the Stage...) ....You have the flexibility to layer or split two pianos, which you can’t do with the Electro. This allows you to put a piano with a softer bass and brighter treble together, so you can have a strong solo sound without a loud bass getting in the way....

Another vote here for the Stage 2EX over the Electro 5HP.
Re Mike's suggestion of combining two Nord piano sounds, the thing I would try if a had a Stage 2EX would be to use the Royal Grand piano sound in the bottom range, and use the Baby Upright piano sound in the upper range (the Baby Upright is clearer and cuts better in the upper range but is anemic down low since it is a Spinet, while the Royal Grand has a splendid lower end but does not cut through in the upper range). This would be my next step in my continuing quest to get a mono acoustic piano sound that satisfies me.
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Return to General Nord Forum