Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

NE 5D route organ to Leslie, piano and synth to PA

Postby jjtmd » 16 Nov 2017, 04:03

My Stage 2 EX allows all the organ patches to be routed separately which has been useful in sending the organ to my Leslie 3300 and everything else to the PA, so I have a routing question for the 5D. I know I can route Part Lower to left and Part Upper to right, which is great except that the organ appears sometimes as part L or U depending on the patch. Short of reprogramming the patches is there a workaround? For example, is there a quick way to edit a part swap? In addition, a lot of patches I use don't have an organ part, e.g. synth and piano only, so how do I route them together to the PA, or am I out of luck with the 5D? Thanks
jjtmd

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

NE 5D route organ to Leslie, piano and synth to PA

Sponsor

Re: NE 5D route organ to Leslie, piano and synth to PA

Postby cgrafx » 16 Nov 2017, 11:41

The 5D isn't really setup for separate routing. You'll also lose all stereo field effects and potentially a lot of program information as you'll only have either a left or a right channel from any sample/piano/or organ normally sending stereo field audio.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey

The author cgrafx was thanked by:
jjtmd
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 16 Nov 2017, 18:07

cgrafx wrote:You'll also lose all stereo field effects and potentially a lot of program information

There's not too much program information to worry about. Apart from the effects, piano can be mono if you enable the mono function, organ is mono, and even most synth sounds are mono. But there are exceptions, and you may have your own custom stereo samples as well.

Considering that the NE5D does have this convenient "dual mono" option, though, it would be good if Clavia were more explicit about which samples in their library are mono vs. stereo. I'm thinking that anything that isn't specifically marked STE or STEREO is mono, but I don't see where that is confirmed for certain. Though in some cases, it's obvious from what it is... i.e. mellotron samples have to be mono, because mellotrons were mono. Any monophonic instrument (whether a synth or something like a flute or trumpet) is also inherently mono, you're not going to lose program information from only one side of those.
Last edited by anotherscott on 16 Nov 2017, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
jjtmd
anotherscott

Postby synthmax » 18 Dec 2017, 18:23

That's unsatisfactory. I'm thinking of switching from a Nord Electro 3 to Nord Electro 5. So far, I have always been able to give all the organs, including the lower and upper manual, to the external Leslie and the rest to the PA. If I want to do that with the Electro 5, then the upper manual goes on the Leslie and the lower Maual on the PA. That makes no sense. Or I have to give everything to the Leslie. Then the pianos do not sound ideal over the Leslie speakers. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Otherwise, I will probably have to stay with the Electro 3.
synthmax

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Postby jossmacallan » 19 Dec 2017, 09:08

I use a mixer to do the route. but its very uncomfortable :(
I sent an email to Clavia, but I have no answer. I think if we all send an email, maybe they include this improvement
jossmacallan

Postby hammondking » 12 Jan 2018, 19:23

Yeah the lack of this routing option surprised me on the NE5, as I used it all the time on my NE3. My guess is that because we're getting to the point where the internal Leslie sim is so good, there's an assumption most people won't use an external sim or Leslie.

But there are so many people out there who swear by their Vent, or Tall & Fat, or whatever. I myself still use a Motion Sound amp, and love it.

For my purposes, I'll be able to live with the Upper/Lower output splitting, as I don't do a lot of organ splits. But I'm already imagining a few complications, like in some cases I might want the organ on the lower so that I can get Reverb, while in other cases I might want a synth bass on the lower with organ on the upper. This would not really be possible with the existing routing options.

I would think an additional routing option might be possible via software. If so, maybe we can hope for it in a future update.
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Yamaha YC73
Crumar Mojo 61 Reverse
Clavinet D6
Rhodes Stage 88
Rhodes Home Piano
Yamaha Reface CP
StudioLogic SL73 Studio
Alesis Vortex 2 Wireless
Yamaha SonoGenic SHS-500
hammondking

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby cphollis » 13 Jan 2018, 08:03

Yeah, using an external Leslie effect has turned out to be sort of frustrating with Nords, especially my brand-new Nord Stage 3 Compact. Not dissing, it is what it is.

So, going into this, I thought "hey, I'll just route the organ output to my new Vent, and all will be well, right?". Yeah, I can do that, but no reverb. Damn. The organ sounds as dry as the Sahara. And I don't want to buy yet another reverb effect. Also, I like the presets. Being able to press a single button and getting The Sound.

So for the time being, I'm backing off external stuff, and learning to live with the internal stuff.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby anotherscott » 13 Jan 2018, 16:30

cphollis wrote:my brand-new Nord Stage 3 Compact.... I thought "hey, I'll just route the organ output to my new Vent, and all will be well, right?". Yeah, I can do that, but no reverb. Damn.

True, but as people have discussed in another thread, the NS3 puts the reverb before the rotary effect, so it can't be used to properly simulate room ambience. (It is arguably a more authentic approach if you're trying to emulate a Hammond or Leslie with a built-in reverb unit, except those were spring reverbs, and that's not one of the reverb effects offered on the Stage.) So putting an external reverb on a Vent may have actual benefit, as opposed to merely being a workaround for not being able to use the Nord's reverb.

(Also, for many people, using the Vent this way still wouldn't require an additional external device for reverb... i.e. if you're feeding your keyboard signals into a mixer (or keyboard amp) that has built-in reverb.)

cphollis wrote:Also, I like the presets. Being able to press a single button and getting The Sound.

You mean factory presets? Or your own? For the latter, I don't see any impediment to using external organ/vent/reverb routing except that the presets won't change parameters on your Vent or external reverb... but rotary/reverb tends not to change much, at least for me.
anotherscott

Return to Nord Electro Forum