Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Transpose on a per-program base (solved)

Postby Meister-Lampe » 04 Jan 2018, 23:50

i just got my new Nord Electro 5D 73 and I'm really happy with it. Most functions are easily accessable, but i am unable to find out how to transpose Programs by semitones. I found the global option, but i'd like to limit it to just selected sounds. Is that possible?
Last edited by Meister-Lampe on 05 Jan 2018, 00:22, edited 2 times in total.
Meister-Lampe

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Transpose on a per-program base (solved)

Sponsor

Re: Transpose on a per-program base (solved)

Postby El Lobo » 05 Jan 2018, 07:55

I had the same problem figuring this out. The manual doesn't say enough. Press the SHIFT button AND the KEYBD SPLIT/TRANSPOISE button at the same time with one hand, then turn the LIST/VALUE knob up or down the number of semitones that you want with the other hand. The thing to understand is that the SHIFT button selects the function that is labelled under the other knobs or buttons. The function that is above the knobs or buttons is the function without pressing the SHIFT button.

The author El Lobo was thanked by:
Meister-Lampe
El Lobo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby Norwegian » 12 Jan 2018, 08:23

I just go to semitones in the menu detune-1 and its
transposes the entire keyboard every sound. We detune 1/2
Step so its all good.
Norwegian

Postby Lee Batchelor » 13 Jan 2018, 00:30

Unfortunately, Nord has never made the Transpose function easy to get at, like Roland and Yamaha. Why the hell can't they put a dedicated button on the control surface??!! That's been done for the last 30 years on most pro level boards!!

They always make it so damn hard to get at by making us become contortionists or by burying it deep in some stupid menu. If I'm playing a song in C and it modulates to C#, it's so much easier to just bump the keyboard by a semitone - but not if you own a Nord. It's as though they despise users who rely on Transpose once in a while. They sure don't despise taking our money!!

Even if they could eliminate the Shift key requirement, it would solve the problem. I'm sure that can be done through the operating system. I find every company out there only fixes bugs that cause failures. When it's an inconvenience, you have to just suck it up. I still love my Nord, but they really need to start listening to ALL users - not just the virtuoso players who can play in any key.
Lee Batchelor

Postby baekgaard » 13 Jan 2018, 13:50

Lee Batchelor wrote:Unfortunately, Nord has never made the Transpose function easy to get at... If I'm playing a song in C and it modulates to C#, it's so much easier to just bump the keyboard by a semitone - but not if you own a Nord.

Global transpose works like you wish on the Nord Stage series (at least on the NS3), which have dedicated transpose buttons. Luckily it's not sitting so close to the keys that you risk hitting it by random :-)

I agree that it would have been nice with a similar functionality on the Electro series.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby analogika » 13 Jan 2018, 14:38

baekgaard wrote:
Lee Batchelor wrote:Unfortunately, Nord has never made the Transpose function easy to get at... If I'm playing a song in C and it modulates to C#, it's so much easier to just bump the keyboard by a semitone - but not if you own a Nord.

Global transpose works like you wish on the Nord Stage series (at least on the NS3), which have dedicated transpose buttons. Luckily it's not sitting so close to the keys that you risk hitting it by random :-)

Actually,that happened to me more than once on the Stage 2.

Thankfully, they’ve moved the transpose button up and away from the keys on the Stage 3.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Postby baekgaard » 13 Jan 2018, 15:24

analogika wrote:
baekgaard wrote:Global transpose ... not sitting so close to the keys that you risk hitting it by random :-)

Actually,that happened to me more than once on the Stage 2.

Thankfully, they’ve moved the transpose button up and away from the keys on the Stage 3.

Ouch :shock: :? That can hurt -- unless you're in a neo-Zappa tribute band or something :)

The worst that has happened to me (so far) was hitting BOTH arp run and kb hold doing a palm-glissando -- while playing LH bass and RH Organ. So instead of only coming out with a high-pitched sus4-7 chord at some climax of the song, I also introduced the band and the audience to a funky, somewhat unexpected and erratic, bass-line in some weird pulsating pattern not related to the groove... took me a few seconds to figure out what was going on!

The fact that the band didn't really notice or seemed to be too concerned is possibly a testament to my usually erratic playing style, where nothing is left unexplored :crazy: I might consider doing it again...

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
be lee vit
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby Murphy » 16 Jan 2018, 17:46

That's hilarious baekgard! I am having problems hitting the Live key (somewhat near the Leslie slow/fast button), and the band notices that right away! Never have that problem with the Electro. I guess I need both!

The author Murphy was thanked by:
baekgaard
Murphy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby analogika » 16 Jan 2018, 18:32

also a perennial favourite on the Nord Stage 2 (during some more, er, involved organ playing): Ring Mod! Yay!

Happened more than once, to… interesting… effect. Oddly, other than transpose and ring mod, nothing else, but those two, repeatedly.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Postby Meister-Lampe » 17 Jan 2018, 12:20

El Lobo wrote:I had the same problem figuring this out. The manual doesn't say enough. Press the SHIFT button AND the KEYBD SPLIT/TRANSPOISE button at the same time with one hand, then turn the LIST/VALUE knob up or down the number of semitones that you want with the other hand. The thing to understand is that the SHIFT button selects the function that is labelled under the other knobs or buttons. The function that is above the knobs or buttons is the function without pressing the SHIFT button.

Thank you very much, i was thinking in the wrong direction, most of the times the most easy way is the right one.
Meister-Lampe

Return to Nord Electro Forum