Share your complete Nord Stage 2 programs/patches including sample sets (nsmp files) used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.

Nightwish

Postby J_a_r_o » 13 Aug 2014, 11:47

Hello Hello,

I´m looking for Patches, Programms and Sounds for Nightwish. I hope the community can help me !
:keyboard: :thanx:
J_a_r_o

Nightwish

Sponsor

Re: Nightwish

Postby elektromin » 25 Aug 2014, 23:12

Hello!
I think you need to be more specific in your request. I have never heard of nightwish before, i guess it's a band..? So, please provide an example of the sound you're looking for, like a youtube link or similar.
Thanks!
elektromin
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby Marlowes » 26 Aug 2014, 07:18

Hej Anders!

Nightwish is a great band from Finland.
They replaced Tarjas beautful opera voice with Anette, "an old mother" from Helsingborg, Scania, Sweden. 8-)

I have listened to them for many years but I guess that they mainly use the standard patches on their KORGs.
Therefore, anything will do, as it's mostly attitude, IMHO.
And attitude is the best starting point in any music making ... :thumbup:

By the way, "old mothers" from Scania are great. I married one. ;)
None in this video, though!

Watch on youtube.com

Scandinavia.PNG
Scandinavia from a satellite
Scandinavia.PNG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 6878 times

/Amicalement
Michael in Scania
aka Marlowes
NE3HP, NP88, NS2, DPP1, NL2X, NL2X, NLA1, NL4, NE5D, NW2 (Collect Them All?), some classic Rolands, Arturias, a Waldorf, a Kurz, a WONOK3, a pile of guitars, a P-bass, loopers, amps and computers ...
I'm a gearslut! :oops:
Marlowes
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Postby Six-string-man » 26 Aug 2014, 10:50

Hey Jarokeys,

I am 62, and am English, and I have most of Nightwish's CD's! My favourite track is "I wish I had an Angel".

I think that their music is probably too rich and varied to be put into patches. They are a very orchestral band, and I think that there is too much going on there for a Stage to cover everything.

You could get the basics in, but would need lots of other musicians to play with.

SSM
Six-string-man

Postby elektromin » 26 Aug 2014, 17:18

Marlowes, thank you for clarifying!! And you are so right that the attitude is important, especially in rock music.

Now I've listened to some songs and most keyboard parts seems to be pads and strings, pretty standard stuff. I guess the hard part would be to achieve that atmospheric and orchestral sound. Lots of layers and lots of effects would be necessary...
elektromin
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby J_a_r_o » 26 Aug 2014, 18:03

Usually this is not my musical style but I love this Band. I saw it once in Hamburg many years ago and than it happened. It could have been that somebody has some patches etc.
Thank you very much for your comments and sorry for my bad english.
J_a_r_o

Postby RedLeo » 30 Aug 2014, 06:29

I played in a Nightwish tribute band a while ago, and I had to do an incredible amount of sound programming to make it all work. Unfortunately, the Nord Stage 2 is not really the best keyboard for many of these sounds. Tuomas Holopainen uses Korg Tritons for many of his keyboard sounds. In general terms, you would be better using sampled sounds rather than analog sounds for that big "orchestral" sound. Mixtures of standard sampled strings, brass and choirs will give you most of the basics, along with pianos from the Stage 2. You should be able to find some useful sampled sounds in the Nord library.

Live, the orchestra, choirs and some keyboard parts are prerecorded and he plays mostly simpler chordal parts, riffs and solos on his Tritons, usually fairly standard string patches.

it depends what you are doing. If you want to do it as much as possible like the records (eg for a tribute band), then you will need a lot more than just a Stage 2 to do this. If you are playing for yourself, or for example a cover band, then if you stick to the basic chords and riffs using pianos, strings, choirs, a few bell type sounds, plus some synth sounds for the solos, that should work well enough.

For some of the synth leads and assorted other parts, you should be able to get workable sounds from the synth section of your Stage 2.

Here's how I did it. If you compare this live demo to the original, you can see which parts I've left out or consolidated. (No overdubs apart from lead vocal and one sneaky one I did to cover up a weak spot).

Storytime - single edit - Nightwish tribute band demo.

Attachments
Storytime - demo.mp3
(6.56 MiB) Downloaded 1340 times
Last edited by RedLeo on 30 Aug 2014, 09:52, edited 5 times in total.
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby kishonadish » 14 Dec 2017, 16:52

RedLeo wrote:I played in a Nightwish tribute band a while ago, and I had to do an incredible amount of sound programming to make it all work. Unfortunately, the Nord Stage 2 is not really the best keyboard for many of these sounds. Tuomas Holopainen uses Korg Tritons for many of his keyboard sounds. In general terms, you would be better using sampled sounds rather than analog sounds for that big "orchestral" sound. Mixtures of standard sampled strings, brass and choirs will give you most of the basics, along with pianos from the Stage 2. You should be able to find some useful sampled sounds in the Nord library.

Live, the orchestra, choirs and some keyboard parts are prerecorded and he plays mostly simpler chordal parts, riffs and solos on his Tritons, usually fairly standard string patches.

it depends what you are doing. If you want to do it as much as possible like the records (eg for a tribute band), then you will need a lot more than just a Stage 2 to do this. If you are playing for yourself, or for example a cover band, then if you stick to the basic chords and riffs using pianos, strings, choirs, a few bell type sounds, plus some synth sounds for the solos, that should work well enough.

For some of the synth leads and assorted other parts, you should be able to get workable sounds from the synth section of your Stage 2.

Here's how I did it. If you compare this live demo to the original, you can see which parts I've left out or consolidated. (No overdubs apart from lead vocal and one sneaky one I did to cover up a weak spot).

Storytime - single edit - Nightwish tribute band demo.

Lightwish?
kishonadish

Postby Thomas H » 15 Dec 2017, 10:38

Nightwish is a great band, was even greater previously and used to be my favourite back in the time. They have used quite a lot of preset sounds, that you can get 1/1 if you just find the right ones from the respective synthesisers. Recently of course they have had massive layers of real orchestral sounds etc so the "realistic" synth sounds (that imitate orchestral sounds, flutes, etc) don't really stand out that much. As mentioned previously, the Nord's aren't really the best synths for recreating these kinds of sounds.

Some presets that I've found are:

- A02: BigStrings from the Korg A1^2 synthesis found from the N264/364 or X5D for example (the classic short-attack strings from multiple older songs)
- A15: Adventure Bells from the Korg Trinity/TR-Rack (typical bells in f.ex. Dead to the World)
- B34: Dream Theatre from the Korg Trinity/TR-Rack (intro of Sleeping Sun)
Nord Stage 2 // Nord Lead A1 // Nord Modular G2X // Nord Wave :keyboard2:
Thomas H
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Return to Nord Stage 2 Programs (*.ns2p files)