General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Wheel and CC-pedal values sent even external panels are off

Postby Ecaroh » 08 Dec 2017, 02:07

Hi,

I noticed with MIDI monitor app that Panel A and B are sending wheel and CC-pedal values from external channels
even though those external panels are off. So if you are using global ch and panels A and B some other ch value than ch=off you’ll send 3 times these midi values. Quite a traffic! I suspect that this is a bug and not a feature, right?

I am using usb-midi and latest OS 1.28
Ecaroh

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Wheel and CC-pedal values sent even external panels are off

Sponsor

Re: Wheel and CC-pedal values sent even external panels are

Postby baekgaard » 08 Dec 2017, 09:44

There were some issues with double message also in some of the very early SW releases. I'd like to reproduce it here also, so could you give a minimal example that creates the error (i.e. MIDI Out or USB MIDI, externals off, what global/panel MIDI settings, etc)?
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Ecaroh » 08 Dec 2017, 11:26

Reproducing this is easy (at least in my setup. I am using USB-midi with iConnectMio4 midi interface):

1. Open some midi-monitoring App to see what's going on
2. Take an Empty Program (Panel A and B midi ch="off") and check what's happening with wheel and pedal. If you're using Global MIDI ch, you'll see these messages. It should be like this.
3. Now put some External midi channel values for A and B. Even though both panels are off, you'll see that these channels are sending wheel and pedal.

It's like this no matter you use Global Ch or not. If you take Global "off" you'll still see these messages.
Ecaroh

Postby baekgaard » 08 Dec 2017, 21:38

Just checked it here.

The "global" mode is controlled by the channel set in the MIDI settings menu 2/4. A channel set there means it transmits all controllers and keys on that channel.

The "panel" mode is controlled by the Extern settings menu 2/9 (A or B). Whatever channel is set there receives all controller messages (volume, wheel, etc) independently of whether the extern section for that panel is enabled or disabled -- or sort of, my keyboard can get into a stage where the sustain actually works as intended.

So the panels act like as if the "non-keyboard extern setup" is activated all the times (see page 41 in the newest manual, which has now been updated), which is not the intended/described behaviour.

Did you report this to Nord already (and maybe add it to the bugsheet), or should I do so?
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Ecaroh » 08 Dec 2017, 23:58

@baegaard

I allready talked to Nord via email and they could reproduce this issue and we can expect it to be fixed :)

The author Ecaroh was thanked by:
baekgaard
Ecaroh

Postby MrTobbe » 09 Dec 2017, 22:18

I replicated this error here now, and indeed - if you set channels for the extern section but don't activate the extern sections, it really does send these controller messages (expression, aftertouch, wheel, swell), even though the extern sections aren't activated.
I find it even more strange that it sends the messages regardless of which panel I have selected - they are both sending MIDI CC, regardless of which panel is active.

On the plus side though - the filters in the Extern Menu still work as they should, so if you deactivate all controller in the menu (wheel, AT, expr, swell), none of them are sent.

Nord Stage 3 sw73
Viscount KeyB Legend Live
Leslie 3300
Korg M3-88, fully expanded
Hammond E112
and a lot more stuff...
MrTobbe

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Stage Forum