All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: Looking for an AMP for rhodes/organ sounds

Postby Quai34 » 28 Nov 2017, 10:12

My first Keys Amp was a JC 60.... Yes, waaaayyyyy back...
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Sponsor

Postby andi85 » 29 Nov 2017, 00:26

I know, a Jazz Chorus isn't exactly contemporary... but it's fun :D

Seriously though, I'd recommend a decent self-powered PA speaker first. Owning one or two of those is essential for a keyboard player - at least in my opinion. You become independent from club PAs and other people because you can make yourself sound good in any situation. I wouldn't want to miss my two 10" wedges.

If you really want an amp and you're not happy with the Nord's effects (which I doubt) - do have a look at the JC. It's cleaner than most other guitar amps so it works well with many different sounds. Still, it gives those vintage sounds a little extra sparkle. Used JCs are widely available and not very expensive - and they come with a "free" Boss CE-1 ;)
And if you feel ridiculous using a 30kg amp with a 10kg keyboard, you might look for the smaller JCs like the JC-77.

But first go check some monitors! :D
andi85

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C1
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby Quai34 » 29 Nov 2017, 00:49

Agreed, I have two Yorkville Parasource 10" and they are very good...I bought them to be independent as you said....But I will still try to find a JC guitar Amp, just for my guitarist, for Funk sound it's the best....The issue is that the old ones are not Stereo, just the new one, realized few months ago is a JC120 but just smaller....
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby UncleChubb » 02 Dec 2017, 05:52

sus_4 wrote:For what it's worth...
On gigs, I play a Nord Stage 2 through a Spacestation v3 and a sub. I LOVE my on-stage sound, including the acoustic pianos, strings, horns, and synths within the live band mix.

To avoid hauling & setup time, I have a Nord Electro 2 sitting on top of a Yamaha electric piano at our rehearsal space. Our guitarist lets me use his Fender Hot Rod DeVille for amplification (I was quite reluctant to use it, at first). I have to say the organ, clav, rhodes and wurli sound AWESOME through this guitar amp. If you don't play acoustic pianos, or lush synth pads/strings/horns that require cleaner amplification, I highly recommend experimenting with ANY guitar amp and see if it suits your ears.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
UncleChubb

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby UncleChubb » 02 Dec 2017, 05:55

I just posted on another forum thread; I love the Blues Deluxe. Pretty cheap used, too.
UncleChubb

Postby Schorsch » 26 Jun 2018, 14:26

Hi guys,

digging out this old thread since I have a chance to get a Fender Blues Deluxe at a very attractive price, therefore thinking to connect my NS3 to it for the Rhodes and Organ sounds. I have absolutely no clue about handling tube guitar amps (I don’t play guitar at all) but have heard some being used for keyboards and like the special sound.

The Blues Deluxe is of course a mono amp but provides 2 inputs. What’s the effect if I connect the left and right channel of the NS3 (output 1+2 or 3+4) to these two inputs, will it work at all and how does it affect the sound? Would it be recommended to use a box like the Radial JDI Duplex in Stereo-to-Mono Mode instead and connect the single mono output to one of the inputs of the Blues Deluxe (and which one should be used then, channel 1 or 2)?

Thanks a lot for any answers/hints :)

Best regards, Georg
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby UncleChubb » 26 Jun 2018, 19:40

I run mono into the input 2 (lower gain). My understanding is that it is inadvisable to run both inputs simultaneously, mostly for phase reasons. I don’t see any reason the DI would be necessary, unless you want to send stereo to the front of house, pre-amplifier.
UncleChubb

Previous

Return to Accessories and Amplification