All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Gear Alert: Radial Engineering Key Largo

Postby cphollis » 16 Nov 2017, 06:20

Maybe some of you don't hang out over at Keyboard Corner, but maybe you should?

One of the hot topics over there is the above mentioned product. I could see its advantages on paper, and finally broke down and bought one. Sorry I waited so long :(

Here's the deal: three stereo keyboards PLUS a laptop USB feed all mixed out separate to FOH and your own personal monitors. Plus some pedal stuff if you want it. Oh yes, and MIDI. And an effects loop. And ... well, go read about it.

My signal chain is pretty good: Nords, nice PA speakers, etc. But I was using this cheapo Yamaha MG06. Did some A/B testing this evening, and OMG. The Key Largo delivered the goods. The APs sparkled, the B3/leslie sim was inviting. Almost like taking a blanket off of my speakers. A pair of RCF TT08-a by the way. So clean, so punchy, so effortless, so balanced. Can't wait to bring out the Fulcrum Acoustic toys!!

Now I can crank up my monitors without destroying the FOH mix.

Not recommended if you don't have the amplification to match. If you're playing through low-end gear, you probably won't hear much of a difference to justify the rather stiff purchase price.

But if you have decent amplification -- highly recommended!
Last edited by cphollis on 16 Nov 2017, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
zzAARzz
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Gear Alert: Radial Engineering Key Largo

Sponsor

Re: Gear Alert: Radial Engineering Key Largo

Postby Ecaroh » 16 Nov 2017, 10:56

I just wish it had a headphone output... To me this is a big minus and perhaps a reason to not buy. Otherwise it would be perfect.
Ecaroh

Postby DanielD71 » 16 Nov 2017, 12:49

I have one, it is replacing my xr-18 as I do not need all the input.
The first thing I notice is the warm of my sound...
I’m still able to use my EVs with the monitor outputs and give a clean signal to the FOH using the xlrs.
So my jdi duplex and xr-18 are staying home :-).

Regards
Daniel
DanielD71

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby cphollis » 16 Nov 2017, 15:34

Ecaroh wrote:I just wish it had a headphone output... To me this is a big minus and perhaps a reason to not buy. Otherwise it would be perfect.

Have you considered using an adapter from the monitor sends to a headphone? If that truly is the only thing holding you back, it's a simple workaround.
cphollis

Postby Quai34 » 16 Nov 2017, 17:55

+1 for the Headphone workaround, I did that one time....
The Radial stuff in general are awesome and "cheap and fast delivered" for us in Canada....I have the JDV from them, active DI, the EXTC DI, a DI your put your speaker of your guitar amp, then you send to the PA the right tone of your Amp and paired with a mic in front of the Amp, it gives you all a the options you want for your guitar sound. I also have the Bassbone OD DI preamp on my bass pedalboard and it's awesome as well..
All of that just to sway that this little box Key Largo is awesome if you have 2\3 keys....I might buy one as I was thinking to go with a Radial JDI Duplex when I just bring one key to a gig but with this one, you have the same quality and 3 more inputs when you count the Ipad/Laptop USB input...
Do not hesitate, the sound of their DI is the best, I have tested all of the other brands...
For your info, when I carry the whole set up, I use a Tasacm LM8-ST which is very good as well but one rack space, not that small like the Key Largo
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby cphollis » 17 Nov 2017, 06:43

There are two reasons to consider this device.

The first is "convenient connectivity". They've got this part nailed.

The second is "how it improves my sound". It improved mine bigtime, and I've got really nice gear.
cphollis

Postby pablomastodon » 21 Nov 2017, 06:43

awesome awesome awesome device!!! bought one as soon as I could. awesome device! Chuck, I will disagree with you on one point only: stiff purchase price. yes, it's not cheap, but it delivers above and beyond its price point. Quality submix is going to cost hundreds of dollars anyway, and this Radial box delivers in every way, with huge flexibility, state-of-the-art quality. Been waiting for this for a decade at least

bless, pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
DanielD71
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby cphollis » 21 Nov 2017, 22:53

I think you said "awesome device" maybe four times? :)

Yes, it is awesome, and I agree with you -- it's actually a steal compared to having to build out an equivalent rig. Not to mention multiple boxes, power supplies, etc.
cphollis

Postby Nordmutt2 » 14 Dec 2017, 06:38

I have to say, I am a little disappointed with the Key Largo.
The USB does NOT work with IOS devices. There are so many great apps out there - C'mon!
The Sustain Pedal is silly - it clicks on and off like a momentary switch. What?
Unfortunately, I will never use the Effects loops or the USB for laptop - Think it is overkill for me.
Nordmutt2

Postby cphollis » 14 Dec 2017, 20:37

To each their own.

I too have no use for the effects loop or the sustain "button". The MIDI/USB routing is a nice touch, as well as separate main/monitor feeds. Bidirectional USB connectivity with my DAW is useful to me. I can't see me trying to perform with my iPhone anytime soon, so not a big deal in my world.

I *will* be setting up the global volume control via a pedal, although that stereo volume pedal + custom cables is a bit pricey.

Oh yes, I do like the three high-end stereo DIs plus a mixer. That bit alone is worth the price of admission :)
cphollis

Next

Return to Accessories and Amplification