flash error , erase error, invalid cab hdr

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
frankiestage2
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

flash error , erase error, invalid cab hdr

Post by frankiestage2 »

can someone give me some advice before i drop off my stage 2 at the repair shop? heres a rundown of whats going on

for some time ( at least 6 months) my keyboard was acting strange, but wasnt affecting functioning.... it was acting as if knobs were being turned when they werent. ( the display screen would randomly tell me the mid eq was changing, for example) several knobs were affected, but never anything that made any noticable change in the sound.

on friday night, my keyboard made a strange high pitched squeel sound. it only did it once, and i did a two hour gig without incident
saturday night, the high pitched squeel returned, during sound check. and it happened several times. i didnt have time to figure out if it was only affecting the piano sound or not. i used my spare board for the gig.

sunday ( today ) , i attempted to fix the situation by updating the OS from 1.72 to 2.26. i figured even if it didnt fix anything, it wouldnt harm anything. well i was wrong i guess.
my computer is farely new with no problems. i downloaded the update zip, extracted the files and ran the .exe with the keyboard connected via USB. so far so good, it told me my current OS is v1.72. i clicked update to start the v2.26 update. a few seconds later, the keyboard disply said Erase Error, and the update program froze.

i turned off the keyboard and turned it back on. this time when it turned on it said Flash Error.
i turned it off and back on again, this time it says Invalid CAB hdr. then the screen says Update Mode Ready.
i try to run the update program and the computer says Connected, but unable to get OS version and build.

now the newest thing is the keyboard wont connect to the USB. when i try to run the update, it says Please connect your nord instrument to the USB port. it is connected. the wire is good. i can plug it into my printer and print something. i plug it back into the keyboard, but the computer is still saying its not connected.

any advice???
frankiestage2

Re: flash error , erase error, invalid cab hdr

Post by frankiestage2 »

hello?
kbrkr
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by kbrkr »

High pitched squeal usually indicates a rectifier or a failing component and voltage regulator issues. The led effects also indicate a voltage issue.

I think the flash issue is incidental symptoms. I would recommend not doing anything else to it and taking into a repair shop for service.
onkel jaco

Post by onkel jaco »

Hey, did you find any solution to your problem? I have exactly the same issue with a stage 2!
Miguel Ramires
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Post by Miguel Ramires »

same problem here... any news?
Cheers