Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Pitch Bend faulty in one direction?

Postby nubbins » 27 Sep 2016, 08:15

Hello all.

I've read a couple of threads here and around the place on similar issues, but I was wanting to get some specific input on my particular issue, so I thought I'd register and ask :D

So, a bit of background. I bought a second hand Wave a couple of years back (worked fine when I got it and after examination seemed pretty well looked after), played around with it for a bit and used it for a couple of studio related things, but haven't made much use of it for about a year or two, mostly because I just didn't have the time to really dig into synthesis and tap into it, with a host of life issues to deal with. I've recently pulled it out again, and it seems to have developed a fairly specific pitch bend problem.

My suspicion is that the strain gauge has gone in one direction (that is, when bending lower). I haven't tested extensively (only for one and two semitones), but the keyboard detunes based on how many semitones I have set for pitch bending (i.e if I have the pitch bend set to 1 semitone, the whole keyboard will be one semitone lower than concert pitch when the pitch bend is in the middle position). It mostly is actually detuned by a perfect semitone, but occasionally (particularly after moving the stick) will seem to be slightly out of tune. The pitch bend responds, albeit sluggishly, when sharpened, but there is no effect when flattened.

I've also opened it up just to have a look inside - the actual bend apparatus looks ok, nothing is loose, all the wires are still in place as far as I can see with looking and some very very gentle pulling, and there's no muck or anything inside around the wires or on the gauge itself that would indicate obvious interference. The modulation wheel works fine.

So, I figure that what needs to happen is the gauge needs to be replaced. Is it possible to do this as a home job relatively easy (I'm not confident tinkering around that much), is this something I should get a Clavia-authorised dealer to fiddle with (I bought this second hand), or can I safely get a third party to do a job? I could maybe live with the bend, but I would like it working, plus there is occasionally some interference that makes me less than confident the unit can reliably hold concert pitch (even if I adjust the system wide pitch to account for the pitch bend fault offset).

Thank you for any input, and if you need more info just ask!
nubbins

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

Pitch Bend faulty in one direction?

Sponsor

Re: Pitch Bend faulty in one direction?

Postby pablomastodon » 27 Sep 2016, 19:45

I have not seen or heard of anyone rehabilitating a faulty pitch stick mechanism by replacing strain gauge resistors located at the base. The entire pitch stick is replaced. If you are not comfortable soldering with a soldering iron on the panelboard of your instrument, hire a pro.

bless, pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Mr_-G- » 27 Sep 2016, 20:59

Would it be difficult to do? I guess that sticking the resistors long term to the metal part might be an issue? Maybe they come already with some sticky surface?
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby pablomastodon » 27 Sep 2016, 23:25

sorry Mr. G, but I do not know the answers to these questions...
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
Mr_-G-
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby nubbins » 28 Sep 2016, 07:01

pablomastodon wrote:I have not seen or heard of anyone rehabilitating a faulty pitch stick mechanism by replacing strain gauge resistors located at the base. The entire pitch stick is replaced. If you are not comfortable soldering with a soldering iron on the panelboard of your instrument, hire a pro.

bless, pablo

I assume that's because of the way the gauge is attached to the stick?

In any case, thanks for the advice. Not going to try and do a solder myself. Is this the kind of thing I could just take to any third party store? Are the part themselves likely to be easy to source (cause I assume this gauge mechanism is somewhat unique to Nord's stuff?). Any idea on the going rate? I've seen around the $70 (I assume US) mark for the part, which I assume does not include labour on the work.
nubbins

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

Return to Nord Wave Forum