All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Dehumidifier for Nords...

Postby Yogi108 » 18 Sep 2016, 00:32

Hello:

I just moved to a new apartment and I'm just a couple of blocks away from the ocean (I'm in Southern California, in a little beach town called Encinitas). I noticed right away that the humidity is much higher than in my previous place... I got a humidity reader and it looks like the humidity is hanging around 60%. No Florida, by any means... But... I wonder if anyone has experienced an issue with their Nords in areas that have higher humidity? I bought a small dehumidifier and put it close to both my Electro 5 and Stage 2EX... The humidity reading seems to have gone down about 5% to 55%... Just curious if I should maybe invest in a more powerful dehumidifier or if the Nords seem to hold up okay with this level of humidity... Any thoughts?

Kind regards,

Rod
Last edited by Yogi108 on 18 Sep 2016, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.
Yogi108

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Dehumidifier for Nords...

Sponsor

Re: Dehumidifier for Nords...

Postby Eumel » 18 Sep 2016, 04:35

Hi,

Imho 55% or 60% should be no problem at all! It is the normal humudity e.g. In Bavaria in summer.

Greets,

Eumel
Nord Stage 4 88
Nord Electro 6 compact

The author Eumel was thanked by:
Yogi108
Eumel
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby Yogi108 » 18 Sep 2016, 05:09

Thanks Eumel! Happy to hear you haven't had any issues at that level of humidity :)
Yogi108

Postby pablomastodon » 18 Sep 2016, 05:48

am in Florida with no issues...
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
Yogi108
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby cphollis » 18 Sep 2016, 07:24

Same as Pablo, e.g. Florida. The keyboards live in the garage, which is not air conditioned. No problems for several years running.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
Yogi108
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby mattydemont » 09 Sep 2019, 04:00

From my own experience, I can conclude that Clavia Nord products are VERY SENSITIVE to humidity.

I am a long-time Nord Electro (2, 3, 5) user who always lived in very humid climates. I first lived in Africa at 50 meters from the ocean (relative humidity 60–70%) and then moved to Asia (relative humidity 71–85%). Under these conditions, my NEs always deteriorated very consistently, in an almost predictable way. They work fine for a few years, but after about 3-5 years, they start malfunctioning. My NE3 became totally unrepairable after 5 years. My NE5's display started malfunctioning after only 1 year and now after 3 years, I get a keyboard error. I also have regular problems with contacts and have to replace the entire strip of the upper keys. I am planning to upgrade to the NE6, but I am now more conscious about this problem and would like to take action against humidity. It would not be practical to put a dehumidifier in my music room (which is very open), hence below are a few alternative options I am considering:

1. Stuff my NE6 full of silica gel packages and replace them every 6 months or so.
2. Install a small dry rod storage dehumidifier (https://drirod.com) in the NE6 and leave it powered on.

Any tips, tricks or thoughts?
Last edited by mattydemont on 09 Sep 2019, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.
NE5D, Boss RC-505, Line6 M9, Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+, MIDI Solutions Thru Box, Allen & Heath ZED-10FX, KRK Rokit 5, Zoom H2.
mattydemont

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Mr_-G- » 09 Sep 2019, 22:39

I bet that anything that could rust will rust after 3 years at 50 metres from the ocean... It is perhaps not only the humidity but the salt in the droplets in the air which would accelerate the corrosion of various metals.
Not sure the dry rod dehumidifier would work... and if it did it would increase the temperature inside the instrument considerably (56C?) what would that do to the instrument?

I remember long ago some special spray that you could apply and the object became incredibly waterproof, but I am not sure I would try that on my NS2!
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Return to Accessories and Amplification