General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Farfisa Compact Duo tab settings (Pink Floyd)

Postby Ritchie333 » 21 Sep 2011, 13:37

Hi,

I've been tinkering around with my Stage 2 at home this week. I don't normally use anything except Hammond for gigs, but since I was just playing around with sounds, I thought I'd unearth my copy of Pink Floyd's "Ummagumma" and see how the Farfisa sounds coped. I can't for the life of me work out what it is, but it just doesn't seem to be accurate enough, and far more like a typical 60s garage organ sound. I'm not entirely sure which Farfisa organ the Stage 2 is supposed to be emulating anyway.

The best I've found so far is to just have Flute 8 and Flute 4, adding 2 2/3 for solos, crank the reverb up, and use the "small" amp sim with the treble and bass rolled right off. Turning on the strings tabs just sounds wrong. I notice that on a real Compact Duo, there are a bunch of treble boost settings - wonder if they've got anything to do with it.

"Famous" Hammond registrations are well known, guess the same doesn't apply to other organs.

Does anyone else have any better ideas?
Last edited by Ritchie333 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.
Ritchie333

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Farfisa Compact Duo tab settings (Pink Floyd)

Sponsor

Re: Farfisa Compact Duo tab settings (Pink Floyd)

Postby mon8169 » 22 Sep 2011, 20:27

Hi Ritchie,

what sounds from Ummagumma are you trying?

I feel like you, the sound is always missing something.

If you see this PF video at 22'00 and try to recreate the registration you see, you'll find that you don't have the Brilliant Tab in the Nord Stage. Clavia decided not to include all the tabs from a particular Farfisa model but to give us some basic Farfisa waves, something like to give us a generic Farfisa keyboard. But It does sound reasonably good and with eq, as you say, you can get closer to the registration you want. Also you can see above the keyboard the Binson Echorec Richard Wright used which also afected the sound.

To know what tabs he uses you can compare the video with the photos from the Compact Duo (second version) you can see at:

http://www.combo-organ.com/Farfisa/index.htm

BTW, I recommend you the whole video! It's one of my favourites!

Ramon
Last edited by mon8169 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers!
Ramon

Nord Stage Classic 76, Cantabile with Pianoteq, IK Hammond B-3X, NI B4-II and others.
mon8169
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Re: Farfisa Compact Duo tab settings (Pink Floyd)

Postby Ritchie333 » 23 Sep 2011, 16:05

Thankyou for the reply.

mon8169 wrote:what sounds from Ummagumma are you trying?

I think the most obvious bits are the start of "Astronomy Domine" and the two bar organ break between verses, the start of the solo in "Careful With That Axe" (which sounds like Flute 8, Flute 4 and 2+2/3), and the break between the mad percussion and start of the final chord sequence in "A Saucerful Of Secrets". But really it's because, unlike a Hammond, I've never owned a real Farfisa, so it's not a simple matter of working out what maps to the real instrument. Apart from "don't touch the Strings tabs".

mon8169 wrote:BTW, I recommend you the whole video! It's one of my favourites!

Ah yes, that's the 1970 TV special for KQED. I remember watching a videotape of that nearly 20 years ago, after I mentioned to somebody I'd recently got hold of a second hand VHS copy of "Live At Pompeii".
Last edited by Ritchie333 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.
Ritchie333

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Return to Nord Stage Forum