A/D D/A conversion impact on sound quality

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
pesonjua
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

A/D D/A conversion impact on sound quality

Post by pesonjua »

Hi.

I am a verry happy user of Nord Stage 2 EX and fell in love e.g. with the Silver Grand piano sound.

I bought Focusrite Clarett 4Pre audio interface. When connecting NS2 to Clarett and playing piano with 'direct monitoring', the sound quality is pretty much on par what I can get directly from NS2 headphones out (using the same AKG K712 headphones in both scenarios).

The problem is that when using a custom mix (A/D D/A conversion involved), the sound quality is rather bad when comparing to direct headphones out from NS or direct monitoring in Clarett.

My question is that is realistic at all (with any interface) to expect the brilliant NS2 Silver Grand sound to 'survive' A/D => D/A conversion with no audible impact on the sound itself? It was a little of a surprise for me to find out that a cheap analog mixer, even with some noise, is still having the sound perfectly intact, but a high quality thunderbolt audio interface will have an audible impact on the sound characteristics while doing A/D D/A conversions.

Happy to hear your experiences on the topic,

Jukka Pesonen
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: A/D D/A conversion impact on sound quality

Post by analogika »

There is something wrong.

If at all noticeable, any modern audio interface — let alone the Focusrite — should be almost transparent.
These users thanked the author analogika for the post:
pablomastodon
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Post by RedLeo »

I would definitely agree with analogika. You should check your routing and system carefully for anything unexpected - out of phase doubling or mixing to mono are possible culprits.
These users thanked the author RedLeo for the post (total 2):
pablomastodon, pesonjua
Mr_-G-
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by Mr_-G- »

Yes, better check how you are recording/mixing the stereo channels. If you are using single mono tracks for L and R they should be fully panned in opposite directions. NOT in the middle (which would make it mono and cause some degree of phase cancellation).
These users thanked the author Mr_-G- for the post (total 2):
pablomastodon, pesonjua
pesonjua
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Post by pesonjua »

Thank you for the instant replies, the issue was exactly which you mentioned. A phase cancellation due to not panning the L and R channels.

:yourock:

Kind Regards,

Jukka Pesonen
These users thanked the author pesonjua for the post:
pablomastodon
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

Last edited by maxpiano on 22 Mar 2016, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.