Help with split keyboard problem

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
pablomastodon
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Re: Help with split keyboard problem

Post by pablomastodon »

Hi Annie,

It will never be possible to load more than one program at a time on your NS2EX. The key to understanding what is going on will be to understand the program structure itself.

Each program consists of ALL the settings from both Slots A and B. Each slot contains three onboard sound engines: organ, piano and synth. Thus, you are at all times limited to 2 organs, 2 pianos and 2 synths. Just because a slot is turned off, or an individual instrument section is turned off, doesn't mean that there is no data for those things in the program. It's all there in the background, silently waiting for the moment when someone might wish to activate it.

If your two desired programs are "single slot" programs (have only one slot active), then marrying the two of them can be a simple process of copying the contents of one of the pertinent slots to the "flip-side" slot of the other program. The slot-copying procedure is spelled out in the manual (on page 11 in the section entitled "The Slots" next to the little light bulb).

If, for example, one of your desired programs is a "dual-slot" program (both slots active), it may still be possible to marry it to the other single-slot program, but you'll need to study it a little more closely first to determine whether it can work, and if it can it will be a bit more work to accomplish. The slot with the blinking LED is "panel-active." That is, messing around with the front panel controls will be adjusting its parameters. Hit the other slot button to switch to that slot. By bouncing back and forth you can observe which instrument sections are engaged on each slot.

I imagine that your A:01:5 program is probably dual-slot and probably uses the synth engine on each slot and nothing else. If so, this will make the marriage of A:01:1 and A:01:5 simple. Start from A:01:5, enter 2 zone mode (by hitting the 2 zone button), remap the synth voices on both slots to the desired side of the split point, turn ON the Piano Section (in either or both slots) and set the piano however you want it to be, manually recreating the A:01:1 piano or your own custom version. You'll also want to spend some time setting up effects on your piano(s).

DON'T FORGET TO STORE YOUR NEW PROGRAM!!

Bless,

Pablo
These users thanked the author pablomastodon for the post:
nipper
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
nipper
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Post by nipper »

Many thanks - after tweaking away till the early hours of the morning trying to get my head around the slots etc. - I finally understand - you have to make a new program.
The band will be happy with the extra sounds coming out !!!!
Cheers
Annie
john_nick
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Post by john_nick »

Glad you got it sorted. At first, I had the same sort of issues trying to understand the structure of the keyboard from the manual but found it very difficult as I consider the manual didn't explain things very well. The advice and help I have received from members on this forum has been exceptional. Perhaps new owners could do with "An idiots guide to the Nord" to help in the early stages of learning.

Kind regards
1000Keys
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Post by 1000Keys »

edited: double entry...
Last edited by 1000Keys on 09 Mar 2016, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
--
NS3 88, NE3 73