Slow key return

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
pjstingray
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Slow key return

Post by pjstingray »

Hi folks - hope someone can help. I have just noticed that my F# key is very slow to return sometimes worse than others. Has anyone else experienced this or know what causes it please?
Marlowes
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Re: Slow key return

Post by Marlowes »

Hej!

What keybed do you have: HA88, HA76, SW73 ?

That info can help someone like Pablo (certified tech)...

/Vänligen
Michael
NE3HP, NP88, NS2, DPP1, NL2X, NL2X, NLA1, NL4, NE5D, NW2 (Collect Them All?), some classic Rolands, Arturias, a Waldorf, a Kurz, a WONOK3, a pile of guitars, a P-bass, loopers, amps and computers ...
I'm a gearslut! :oops:
pjstingray

Post by pjstingray »

Good point - it is an HA88
Marlowes
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Post by Marlowes »

Great!

Pablo will soon get up from bed (he's in the western colonies, somewhere, and not in the old world, like you and me) and give you a very good answer ... ;)

/Vänligen
Michael
NE3HP, NP88, NS2, DPP1, NL2X, NL2X, NLA1, NL4, NE5D, NW2 (Collect Them All?), some classic Rolands, Arturias, a Waldorf, a Kurz, a WONOK3, a pile of guitars, a P-bass, loopers, amps and computers ...
I'm a gearslut! :oops:
pablomastodon
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Post by pablomastodon »

Sorry, but I really have no clue what might cause an F# to return slowly. Slow return of Gb on the other hand is....

But seriously, that is highly uncommon and I seldom/never get reports like this. There will be no substitute for visual inspection. When I dod get these kinds of rare reports it will generally turn out that a guitar pick or other tiny bit of something which doesn't belong in there has lodged itself into an unhappy place, sometimes the result of having small children making little "deposits." This may or may not be the case in your situation. Please contact your UK distributor for additional info and/or possible reference to someone who can open your Nord up and have a look.

Bless,

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pjstingray

Post by pjstingray »

Thanks Pablo - No kids - was working one day then not the next - in between uses I use the cover - it has only had really light use as I also have a real piano. Nearest dealer is a 300 mile round trip, so any advice on taking the action apart to inspect please? It now feels strange on the way down as well, almost like air resistance. Is it possible that the key's weighting could have become detached? Doesn't feel like anything in the way, just a lifeless key.

Paul
pjstingray

Post by pjstingray »

Update - I took it all apart and found that there was a yellow rubber strip that surrounds every one keys around the pivot point. There was a deformity in the rubber which was causing the strange feel and action of the key - it was really small, but once trimmed the key now works as it should. All back together and working. Always a tentative moment when first switching on after having taken something apart.

Paul
These users thanked the author pjstingray for the post (total 2):
Marlowes, pablomastodon