General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Different Midi Channels for different Midi Tracks on Ableton

Postby Phasss » 04 Feb 2016, 21:44

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum. I have just bought a Nord Stage 2 ex 88 and I want to use it with Ableton Live 9 Suite in the Live Session Mode (the vertical one).
I have a Midi Track on Ableton Live with Nord midi channel 1 for both in and out, and an Audio Track with the Nord audio channels (L/R) as inputs. I had no problems in sending and receiving midi messages and listening audio from the audio track. My work consists in recording midi clips in the Midi Track, and while they play I can modify sound parameters on the Nord in real time. I basically use Ableton Live as a sequencer. Obviously the Midi Local Control on Nord is off.

Here is my problem: now I have 2 Midi Tracks on Ableton Live, each with a different Nord midi channel (track 1: ch1, track 2: ch2) for both in and out. Once I record a clip on track 1, I'd like to switch to channel 2 on Nord and play something else with another sound, so I can record a new clip on track 2, and I want the two clips to run independently with the two different sounds I've created for each clip.

I'd like to know how to set the Nord Midi Parameters in the Midi Menu to do this. I know the problem is not in my Ableton Live settings, because I use it from a long time in this multi-midi-channel mode, but not with a Nord instrument.

I hope the question is clear
Thank you very much for paying attention

Davide
Phasss

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Different Midi Channels for different Midi Tracks on Ableton

Sponsor

Re: Different Midi Channels for different Midi Tracks on Abl

Postby RedLeo » 04 Feb 2016, 22:16

For MIDI purposes, the Stage can run at three different "levels".

At the top, you can use a Stage Program. You can only have one Program at a time, so it's not possible to run two different sounds if the sound is a full Program.

Next, you have the two Slots [A and B] within a Program. Each Slot can run on a separate MIDI channel, so you can have a bi-timbral setup, as long as you understand that the two Slots must be within the same Program.

Finally, you can run each instrument in a Program on a separate MIDI channel. By instrument I mean each of the 2 organs, 2 pianos and 2 sample/synth sections contained within a Program. This way you can run six separate MIDI channels at once, again as long as you understand that all the instruments are within the same Program.

You set up how you do any of these options within the MIDI menu of course, and it's really as simple as deciding which of the above "schemes" you want to use, then setting the MIDI channel settings you want.

As a guide to help you, look at the top of the forum page and select Downloads/MIDI tutorial to help you get the settings right. [Note that when it talks about "Panels" it means "Slots". Slots were called Panels on the older original Stage - they're exactly the same thing.]
Last edited by RedLeo on 04 Feb 2016, 22:28, edited 4 times in total.
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby Phasss » 04 Feb 2016, 22:52

Thank you for fast replying!
I will look at the MIDI tutorial.
Another quick question: do I have to work in the Nord's Live Mode or not? Or is it the same?

Thank you very much
Phasss

Postby RedLeo » 04 Feb 2016, 23:34

Phasss wrote:Another quick question: do I have to work in the Nord's Live Mode or not? Or is it the same?

No, ignore the Live locations completely - they are just memory spaces for Programs that work slightly differently from normal Program locations. Just remember that on a Stage, you are ALWAYS working in Program mode. It will help you tremendously if you thoroughly understand the Stage's "architecture".

You work with a Program, which is a full multi-timbral setup containing all six sound sources - 2 organs, 2 pianos, two synth/sample sections. A Program is sub-divided into two halves, Slots A and B, each containing 1 organ, 1 piano and 1 synth/sample section. And that's it. There is nothing else. It can be confusing if you are used to the way other keyboards do things, but actually very simple once you get it.

And as I said above, you can treat a Program as a single entity for MIDI purposes, or you can split it into 2 Slots each on their own MIDI channel, or you can address all six sounds in the Program on six separate MIDI channels.
Last edited by RedLeo on 04 Feb 2016, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby Phasss » 05 Feb 2016, 12:21

Very helpful! Thanks a lot!
Phasss

Postby themixtape » 01 Jun 2019, 22:45

RedLeo wrote:
Finally, you can run each instrument in a Program on a separate MIDI channel. By instrument I mean each of the 2 organs, 2 pianos and 2 sample/synth sections contained within a Program. This way you can run six separate MIDI channels at once, again as long as you understand that all the instruments are within the same Program.

The Stage 3 can't do this, anymore, I guess....... I am just finding this out, after owning it for a year and a half.
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.chriscaulder.net
http://patreon.com/chriscaulder
-------------------------------------------------------
themixtape

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby themixtape » 18 Mar 2021, 04:35

Wanted to bump this post... the Stage 3 cannot do 6-part multitimbrality, like the Stage 2 could, right? I mean, in theory, you can do two parts with 3 layered SOUNDS on them (simultaneously), such as "Layer A is: organ, piano, synth", and "Layer B is: organ 2, piano 2, synth 2", but they cannot be on 6 different midi channels. And that's poo.
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.chriscaulder.net
http://patreon.com/chriscaulder
-------------------------------------------------------
themixtape

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Stage Forum