MIDI OUT not working on Electro 3HP

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
marcosalmeida
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

MIDI OUT not working on Electro 3HP

Post by marcosalmeida »

Hi guys

I'm having no success on trying to use my E3HP as a MIDI controller on Logic/Mainstage using a generic MIDI(DIN5)-USB adapter. Nord is apparently not sending any signal through MIDI OUT. MIDI IN is working as expected, notes sent by the computer are played by the nord.

I've seen people wrongly suggesting switch the MIDI Port from USB to DIN5 on menu but this is just possible in a E4, not in a E3.

The adapter seems to be working fine (tested with other controllers).

Does anybody have any idea???

Tks
Mr_-G-
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Re: MIDI OUT not working on Electro 3HP

Post by Mr_-G- »

You might have set the wrong channel, or your computer might have been set to the wrong channel, or might be filtering the data you want to send.
It would be easier for you to troubleshoot this if you use a MIDI Monitor program. There are quite a few.
Connect your kbd to the computer and monitor the bytes coming from the the MIDI or usb connector.
Another useful gadget is a midi plug with an LED
http://www.hinton-instruments.co.uk/ref ... i/pg04.htm
These users thanked the author Mr_-G- for the post:
marcosalmeida
marcosalmeida
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Post by marcosalmeida »

Mr_-G- wrote: Another useful gadget is a midi plug with an LED
http://www.hinton-instruments.co.uk/ref ... i/pg04.htm
Tks for the quick answer Mr_-G

This was really relieving to know that the nord is not the problem. I used the LED at the 4 and 5 pins and it flashed when some keys was pressed. Very good tip.

But, now what gets me puzzled is the fact that the cable works fine with other keyboards. I know that this crappy 'ching-ling' midi cables are not totally trustful, but it has indicator LEDs on it and in other kbs it blinks when notes are pressed. This is the exact model http://www.rapidpcs.co.uk/media/raw/usb_midi.jpg

You also mentioned that I might be using the wrong channel on sending/receiving, but it was already verified. Everything is set to channel 1 or OMNI.
Mr_-G-
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by Mr_-G- »

Again, use a MIDI monitor, to make sure of that is coming out of your nord. Then check the program you are using to receive the MIDI data.
Also make sure that you understand that recording MIDI in a sequencer does not mean that you are recording any sound, only performance data.
You record audio via the audio interface, not MIDI.