Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Changing patches AND banks via MIDI messages?

Postby Zargon33 » 10 Dec 2015, 02:42

Hello, I am able to send patch changes to my Nord Wave without a problem using the program change messages via MIDI, but I am not having any luck sending bank changes.

I am seeing in the manual is states CC32 is for bank changing, but that is not responding to anything when I send changes to it via MIDI. I am using Cubase and have CC lane 32 open and have made changes everywhere from 0-127 without any change to bank.

How do I send bank changes to the Nord Wave? For instance, I have a MIDI file setup to send a change to load patch 1:8 (bank 1, patch 8) at a certain point, and then 3:33 (bank 3, patch 33) at another. The program changes work but only within the bank I am currently using. The CC changes are not registering. Any ideas?
Zargon33

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Changing patches AND banks via MIDI messages?

Sponsor

Re: Changing patches AND banks via MIDI messages?

Postby Zargon33 » 10 Dec 2015, 02:46

Just to add, in the MIDI Menu my Midi Control Change Mode is set to Send&Rcv.
Zargon33

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby RedLeo » 10 Dec 2015, 07:49

The manual is missing an important piece of information: a Bank Select message has two parts, not one. It is composed of CC0 AND CC32.

The CC0 part isn't actually being used here, but it needs to be there, so you set it to a default value of zero for everything.

However, there is a simpler way to do this. Use the Inspector instead of controller lanes. You should be able to set both the Program Change number and the Bank Select number here (just called "Bank" I believe in Cubase). I can't give you more specific details because my version of Cubase is prehistoric and they've probably changed some of the details, but you should be able to see the Program Change and Bank boxes there somewhere.

Don't forget you can't send Bank Select messages by themselves - nothing happens unless you send the Program Change at the same time (strictly speaking, immediately afterwards).

The author RedLeo was thanked by:
pablomastodon
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby Kayj_prod » 16 Dec 2015, 13:47

Just to add a little to RedLeo's response, the Wave will default to bank 1 when it receives a program change (without MSB/LSB), regardless of which bank you're currently using on the Wave. I send these instructions from my Stage, so my frequently used patches are all in bank one; saves a whole lot of dialling in of cc00 and cc32 values! (No idea why on the Stage the default value is Off, but then you have to scroll back down all the way from 127 to 0...)

Wave Bank 1 = cc00 zero, cc32 zero
Wave Bank 2 = cc00 zero, cc32 one
Wave Bank 3 = cc00 zero, cc32 two
..and so on.
Nord Stage Classic, Nord Stage 2 88, Nord Wave

The author Kayj_prod was thanked by 2 members, including:
HrMunchpablomastodon
Kayj_prod

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Return to Nord Wave Forum