Any one tried the Mackie DLM8 with Nord Piano 2?

All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.
Caremi
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Any one tried the Mackie DLM8 with Nord Piano 2?

Post by Caremi »

Hi! Right now I have one QSC K10, sound good, but on acoustic pianos I don't like the mid and low range. I play Jazz (but I from play acoustic piano on classical music and looking for a realistic piano sound) I love the piano samplers of Nord when I listened by earphone, or when I recorded on studio, but on live performances I feel that something is missing... I would like a light and portable stereo setup and was wondering about the Dlm8 (Features: only 22 pounds each, also have a digital 3 band EQ, monitor kick stand, digital effects and one RCA and two XLR/Line inputs) Besides all this features, I really care how the acoustic piano sounds, I want to know If someone have some experience with them, using one speaker and/or two for stereo sound.

Thank you!

Carmen
cphollis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Re: Any one tried the Mackie DLM8 with Nord Piano 2?

Post by cphollis »

I have not tried the DLM8, but from the literature it looks loud and very directional. Not what I'd personally choose for jazz or lighter styles. And you likely won't like the low range. Maybe OK in a loud electric band? The EQ and effects aren't helpful as you already have most of what you need on the Nord.

If you can audition a Spacestation v3, you'd get stereo effect in a single, small unit for about the price of a single Mackie DLM8. If you place the amp correctly, you will likely be pleased with the acoustic pianos - I am. It's my go-to amp now for most gigs. Add a modest sub, and you've got full-range down to the low octaves.

The QSC K8s, K10s, and K12s stay home these days.

If you crave even more of that pristine acoustic piano sound, you'll need to bring more money. Maybe a lot more. A pair of RCF TT08s will do quite nicely, a single Bose L1 Model II will fill the room and be clear as a bell (but no stereo) or you could be a crazy man like I was and grab a pair of Fulcrum Acoustic FA12acs.

Best of luck finding your sound!
These users thanked the author cphollis for the post:
Caremi
I think I have gear issues ....
Caremi

Post by Caremi »

Thank you cphollis !

All your suggestions are great! But my biggest problem it the weight of the speakers. Maybe a man don't mind to move a 48 pounds speaker but I am a petite women (very petite!) now barely I can move my Nord piano using a wheel case! and usually I need help to put in/out of my car.
Sometimes I use speakers stand, and it's impossible to me lift a 40 pounds speaker. I know that are better options than Mackie DLM8, but Mackies are just 22 pounds / 2000 watts. Also, beside the piano, I use a microphone on my live performance, and the spacestation sound to be a great stereo option but just have 2 line channels. I love the Bose options, but $3000 it's really out of my budget! The others options are great but to heavy!

Thank you very much to take your time to answer my post! ( and I sorry for my English, my first language it Spanish)

Have a nice day!
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Post by RedLeo »

Another thing to consider is the Electrovoice ZXA1 powered speaker. Very light (19 pounds), and a beautiful professional sound for piano. The sound is bright, clear and sparkly with a good spread through the room. Currently 495 Euros each from Thomann. I own one as well as a Mackie, though not the DLM8 model, and the Electrovoice sound is clearly superior to the Mackie's sound.

To be honest, the Mackie is not nearly as loud as they claim, although it might be loud enough for your purposes - it is intended for solo or acoustic performers at coffee shops or similar. The EV doesn't have the built-in extra features of the Mackie, EQ or effects.

So you would basically be making a choice between better, more professional sound quality with the EV or more built-in convenience features with the DLM8. With the EV, you would need to add a small mixer for your microphone, EQ and effects.
These users thanked the author RedLeo for the post:
Caremi
mfish
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Post by mfish »

Hi Caremi,

I would agree with RedLeo about the ZXA1 because I've been using for about two years and you can't beat the 19lbs especially when you can throw it over your shoulder in the EV shoulder gig bag. I've used the K10 and I've tried to like it because it's loud and everybody uses it but IMHO the piano is a little harsh in the mids. I use the ZXA1 mainly for stage monitoring because my rig usually goes out to the FOH system. The ZXA1 problems is that its got a slight hiss and although it says 800 watts, I don't think it puts out that much and without a mixer or DI into the mic channel, one unit wouldn't be loud enough for a mid size gig. Its not perfect but the piano sounds natural IMHO.

I haven't heard the space station or the RCF speakers because I can't find anybody that has them where I am but they are heavier than the ZXA.

Almost forgot, I did use a DLM8 when they first came out thinking that it looked like the perfect size and power but after trying it for awhile I thought the piano sounded muffled and I could get the eq right to make it sound good on piano but it did sound ok with organ and strings.
These users thanked the author mfish for the post:
Caremi
AlQuinn
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Post by AlQuinn »

I have a pair of RCF TT08As. They sound great for acoustic piano samples and are light (25 lbs), loud, clear, but pricey. Of course using only one would not give you stereo.
These users thanked the author AlQuinn for the post:
Caremi
Frantz
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Post by Frantz »

Hi,

When you can't compare 2 products side by side you're looking for a rational / specified / measured explanation to make a decision.

I can't find one comparing the QSC K8 and the RCF TT08As :
max SPL : 127 / 128 db
at -6db freq range response : ~ 65 Hz to 20 Khz both
covergage : 105 h 90 v deg / 90 h 60 v deg
Watts : 1000 / 750
Weight : ~ 12 Kg both

Price : 700 ~€ / 1600 €

As sound is a matter of taste and experience, I conclude we all have to try before we buy.

F.
These users thanked the author Frantz for the post:
Caremi
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.
Caremi

Post by Caremi »

Thank you to all for your comments. I had the opportunity to compare side by side, Mackie DLM8 vs EV ZXA1 ( I used a single direct line on my Nord Piano 2 on Mono set, because I wanted to listen how sound the speakers if I use just one in a small gig.) Verdict: The EV speaker has a better sound, richest and uniform. It's incredible how this speaker so small can reproduce the bass frequencies with just a 8 " woofer. Samplers like Steinway Lady and the Bosendorfer, you can appreciate a beautiful natural piano sound, deep basses, warm mid range tones and rich high range tones. And the Best... Very compact speaker with JUST 19 pounds!

I really don't like how sound my Nord on the Mackie DLM8 speaker. This speaker has integrate EQ, no matter how many sets I tried, I never get a good sound. Maybe this speaker it's a choice for a person that used other keyboards, a guitar or to connect a MP3 player, but I don't recommend it, if you are looking a natural piano sounds.

Of course I ordered two EV ZXA1 because in stereo, my Nord Piano 2 sounds Awesome!

Conclusion: EV ZXA1 speakers has a great sound, are lightweight and have an affordable price. Thanks again for all your help, tips and recommendations!