Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

program change nord rack 2x-octatrack

Postby lelesss » 04 Aug 2015, 15:17

Hello everybody, i've a question that make me crazy at all, cause i can't find no answer!
i've search in some olds topic but no one talk about what i'm 'looking for.
I've a nord rack 2x and i want control it (program change filter etc) with my octatrack, here's the problem: I can control al the filter frequency range, (from 0 to 127) and some other parameters i want control but when i try to use the cc's parameter to program change, nothing happen!
When i switch pattern nord lead switch pattern too, i mean, i'm on pattern 4 on the octatrack, and the NL2x too, if i switch to pattern 13, NL2x switch to patter 13 too, but i want to have more control about this, i want decide which pattern of octatrack match with patter of NL, using cc on first parameter pages of the octatrack.
Hope i've explain all trasparent, thank you nord users!
lelesss

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

program change nord rack 2x-octatrack

Sponsor

Re: program change nord rack 2x-octatrack

Postby Marlowes » 04 Aug 2015, 15:55

Hej Lelesss!

I guess you need to send both bank & program change ... are you doing that? :?

nord-lead-rack-forum-f12/nord-rack-2x-performance-program-change-t5353-10.html#p40953

EDIT: ... and p128 and forward in the Octatrack manual?

/Vänligen
Michael in Scania
Last edited by Marlowes on 04 Aug 2015, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
NE3HP, NP88, NS2, DPP1, NL2X, NL2X, NLA1, NL4, NE5D, NW2 (Collect Them All?), some classic Rolands, Arturias, a Waldorf, a Kurz, a WONOK3, a pile of guitars, a P-bass, loopers, amps and computers ...
I'm a gearslut! :oops:
Marlowes
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Postby lelesss » 04 Aug 2015, 16:28

both bank and program change? i don't know what you talking about hehehe
can you explain quickly? thank'z
(i'm pretty sure all the octatrack parameters are ok)
lelesss

Postby RedLeo » 04 Aug 2015, 18:27

Don't use the CC parameters to change the Programs on the Nord, that's not the right way to do it. Instead, you should send your Program Change and Bank Select messages from the MIDI Tracks in the Pattern.

Look at the Octatrack manual page 114. Here it shows you how to send Program Change and Bank Select messages to the NL2x. If you look at the first diagram, you will see where to put these messages, in the MIDI Note Setup page for a MIDI Track in the Pattern. Put your Program Change number in the box marked "PROG" and the Bank Select message in the box marked "BANK". This will allow you to select any Program or Performance from any Octatrack pattern, which is what you want to do.

So, what is Bank Select? The Programs and Performances in the Lead2x, like most keyboards, are divide into "banks" of Programs or Performances. If you just send Program Change messages, the Lead2x will only change Programs or Performances within the current bank. In order to select a Program or Performance in another bank, you need to send a Bank Select message to change the bank. Note that you need to send *both* the Program Change message and the Bank Select message for this to work. You cannot send just a Bank Select message by itself, nothing will happen. This is just the way MIDI works.

You will have to experiment with sending Bank Select messages to find out which Bank Select number selects which bank on the Lead2x.

If you just want to change Programs or Performances within the current bank, you don't need to send a Bank Select message.

Also, you may need to set the MIDI settings correctly on the Lead2x for all this to work properly. Unfortunately, I don't own one so I can't help you further on this. Try the suggestions above and come and ask again if you are still having problems. Good luck!
Last edited by RedLeo on 04 Aug 2015, 18:49, edited 5 times in total.

The author RedLeo was thanked by 2 members, including:
pablomastodonMarlowes
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby pablomastodon » 05 Aug 2015, 05:33

I didn't know that it was possible to use cc's to change programs...?

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby RedLeo » 05 Aug 2015, 06:05

pablomastodon wrote:I didn't know that it was possible to use cc's to change programs...?

It isn't possible. Bank Select messages are cc's but Program Change is its own message type. I suspect his Octatrack has some default Program Change messages set somewhere.
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby pablomastodon » 05 Aug 2015, 07:53

Whew! For a moment I thought that perhaps the midi spec had changed without telling me... :lol:

pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby lelesss » 05 Aug 2015, 09:32

found the answer!! thanks a lot redleo and marlowes!
lelesss

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum