Nord Wave worth it these days?

Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer
AdamStage2

Re: Nord Wave worth it these days?

Post by AdamStage2 »

Darren wrote:Waves seem tricky to get hold of
I guess at lot of that has to do with the fact that many of us that have them,realise what a great synth it is,I certainly wouldn't ever let mine go...the odd one crops up on ebay for sale now and then.

The Wave is certainly one of my Desert Island Synths...

I wonder is Clavia will ever produce a MK2 Wave?

:keyboard2:
zzAARzz
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by zzAARzz »

orcoaffamato wrote:
zzAARzz wrote:WAVE is producer choice. IMHO Wave is better than A1.
So A1 is the player's choice?
Wave is a key to nord synth sound and sample library. A1 - just synth. Wave is more useful in studio work, and so in live. I use Stage 2 in live with function band/cover band. Sometimes I can't do all keyboard sounds/parts in song in one keyboard. So I use my MacBookPro for additional sounds. If I start searching keyboard to increase my rig it 100% will be Nord Wave, because I will use second keyboard not only for synth sound.
Spider
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Post by Spider »

AdamStage2 wrote:
Darren wrote:Waves seem tricky to get hold of
I guess at lot of that has to do with the fact that many of us that have them,realise what a great synth it is,I certainly wouldn't ever let mine go...the odd one crops up on ebay for sale now and then.
well, exactly what just happened to me!
A Wave auction appeared, and inexplicably ended with no offers! So I was able to jump in later (didn't notice it until the auction was already closed) and got it at a really can't-miss-this-chance price!

Yes yes I know, I'm getting a bit carried away with the early-summer GAS epidemic... but you'll have to excuse me now, I have to go surfing :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Spider on 10 Jun 2015, 17:41, edited 2 times in total.
Spider
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Post by Spider »

a very quick update after a few days of experimenting with my new toy: now I understand why everybody who ever owned one praises the Wave so much, and mourns its lack of heirs!

It-is-just-amazing.
Seriously, I'm blown away. The combination of sampled sounds, synth oscillators and controls is great. And the choice of filters and effects is simply perfect, they easily blend together in the most natural and musical way. It is just so freakin' easy to get great sounds out of scratch.
One feature among the many that caught my ear: the "sampled waves". I thought it was just a freak afterthought (a sampled attack followed by a single-cycle wave? Who'll ever need such a weirdish thing?), but I find it instead to be amazingly useful and musical.

While on paper it looks like there are so many compromises and limitations (only 2-part multitimbral, no splits, non-configurable arpeggiator and aftertouch, etc etc), in practice it is simply a great sounding instrument. The perfect demonstration that specs don't mean a thing when the sound is THE right one.

Well done Clavia... now please DON'T bring out a Wave2, or I'll be forced to buy it !!!
:lol:
neolithic
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Post by neolithic »

Spider wrote:Well done Clavia... now please DON'T bring out a Wave2, or I'll be forced to buy it !!!
I'll be right behind you in the queue!! :thumbup:
These users thanked the author neolithic for the post:
Marlowes
And now for something completely different...
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

:shh: I may get one soon too... Fingers crossed!! :mrgreen: