Everything about the Clavia Nord Modular G2, G1, and Micromodular Synthesizers.

G2X voice expansion board issue

Postby bullet tooth » 06 May 2015, 13:24

Hello

The expansion board on my G2X is showing some issues or at least the issues are gone when I unplug the expansion board ;)
From the beginning when I purchased my G2X in 2007 it was freezing/resetting from time to time (more often when connected to USB/less often when stand alone) but I hasn’t bothered me much since I used it not that often and a power-cycle took care of the issue most of the time.
I was wondering if there was common issue with the first batch of G2X/voice expansion boards which could explain the behavior of my G2X, maybe a cold soldering?
Last edited by bullet tooth on 06 May 2015, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
bullet tooth

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular

G2X voice expansion board issue

Sponsor

Re: G2X voice expansion board issue

Postby pablomastodon » 06 May 2015, 13:55

Hi BT,

Have not had reports of this nature in Canada or USA across the past five years. I have three expansion cards all of which have been trouble-free.

BLess,

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby bullet tooth » 06 May 2015, 14:34

@Pablo
Thank you very much for the quick feedback, any chance that you want to get rid of one of the expansion boards?
Any ideas what I could check in addition?
Did you came across issues where the voice card was the culprit, how were you able to repair it besides just replace it?
bullet tooth

Postby pablomastodon » 08 May 2015, 08:27

Actually, I believe that I've only encountered approx. 8-10 cases of failures of any type on G2 models across the past five years, and those have been pitch stick and USB port failures mostly. By "voice card" are you referring to the mainboard? Those are not replaced, but repaired. Generally speaking, when something goes wrong electronically "under the hood" of ANY electronic instrument, your interests (and those of the instrument, too!) will be best served by having a competent tech inspect it.

It is of course possible that there is some component failure somewhere. It may be that age and oxidation have taken their toll on internal connections, so cleaning is usually a good idea, but this too should be left to a pro.

And NO, I am not getting rid of any expansion boards. Each is installed in a G2 of one variety or another. I wouldn't dream of castrating one of them in this manner. Encore Electronics may still have some available for sale.

Bless,

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby SamwiseGanges » 22 Jan 2018, 20:18

I apologize for being a necromancer on this thread, but I thought it was important to add my comment in case others find this post looking for help.

I've also had similar issues with my G2 and I've deduced that the problem is related to the DSP expansion board that I added (this was not a Nord board but the one from Encore Electronics).

After I installed the board, I noticed the G2 would randomly shut down and reboot over and over. I returned the original DSP board and got a replacement, which seemed to fix the issue for a while but then it came back. I took my nord to a clavia-recommended keyboard tech for repairs twice but the issue persisted.

Sometimes I could get it to start working again by turning it on and off abour10-20 times, but the issue got more frequent and I ended up having to do this on stage at a gig (not a good time).

The other day, the synth would not boot properly no matter how many times I powered it on. I removed the expansion board and viola! It booted up perfectly and has been booting fine ever since. I don't want to slander Encore Electronics but I think there is an issue with their G2 expansion boards. I've also tried every version of firmware as well as wiping the firmware and reinstalling it but it doesn't seem to fix anything. I think some of the code in the chipset on the Encore expansion board sometimes causes the Nord to crash and start the boot cycle again, which gets it stuck in an infinite loop. I'm going to bring this up with Encore and respond with their reply.

Thanks,
Sam
SamwiseGanges

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Postby klankton » 09 Jul 2018, 16:44

Any news on this issue ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
klankton

Postby alcools » 09 Jul 2018, 21:35

For me any problem with Encore dsp extension (in 2 G2).
Actual synth: Nord Modular G2 - Nord Stage 3 73 - Virus Ti2 - Peak - Prophet 6
Before: Nord Lead 3 & 4, Stage 1&2, Wave, Virus C, DSI Tetra, P12, and few others...
alcools

Postby klankton » 10 Jul 2018, 00:08

alcools wrote:For me any problem with Encore dsp extension (in 2 G2).

Not any ?

klankton

Postby alcools » 10 Jul 2018, 21:59

?
Actual synth: Nord Modular G2 - Nord Stage 3 73 - Virus Ti2 - Peak - Prophet 6
Before: Nord Lead 3 & 4, Stage 1&2, Wave, Virus C, DSI Tetra, P12, and few others...
alcools

Postby klankton » 11 Jul 2018, 11:28

You say “for me any problem” does that mean you have problems ?

klankton

Next

Return to Nord Modular Forum