General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Program change over USB MIDI?

Postby Adams » 23 Oct 2014, 11:26

Hey.

I've been using standard MIDI cables (Korg Kronos out > Yamaha 01V desk in/thru > Nord Stage 2 in) for sometime to control the mixer using the Korg's control surface and to change patches on the Stage 2. All working fine.

We got a new Behringer X32 mixer, with no MIDI thru port, so, can I use a USB connection between the Korg and Nord - purely for program changes, as the MIDI out is in use? I had a quick play, but seemed to get nothing... Don't know if it's a setting on the Nord or something that needs changing on the Korg?

How about the soft thru function on the Stage? Maybe that's a way to go?

Thanks, Adam
Adams

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Program change over USB MIDI?

Sponsor

Re: Program change over USB MIDI?

Postby Daniel » 29 Nov 2014, 16:00

Hey, I'd like to bump this question since mine is pretty similar to the one described above:

I have a setup including the Kronos and the Stage 2 with MIDI connections in both directions. My setup works with standard midi cables, but it would be nice of course to use USB for that (and even nicer to transmit audio from the kronos over usb... but that's not the point here).

- Kronos is the MIDI host

- Transmitting data from NS2 to Kronos works flawlessly. Setting the external section for example to USB1 will play channel 1 on the Kronos.

- Receiving anything from the Kronos doesn't work at all :( neither notes are received nor program changes. Let's say Kronos transmits program changes on Channel 16 and the Global Channel on the NS2 is set to USB16 does not work. Accordingly the MIDI-LED on the NS2 isn't lit.

From what I understand, the Global Channel on the NS2 controls on which channel the NS2 receives data. I have set the channel for Organ A, Piano A.... to OFF, Dual Keyboard channel is USB15 (with Dual Keyb turned off always).

Any ideas on the NS2 side?? I've read that the USB Midi driver are class compliant and work even under Linux, given that the Kronos receives data I'd say the connection basically works...

Thanks a lot,
Daniel
Daniel

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby cookie » 11 Sep 2019, 12:39

Trying to do the exact same thing. Not tested anything yet.
Idea is to use the USB MIDI connection between the Kronos and the NS2EX, to free the MIDI IN so I can control it via an AX7 keytar.

Did anyone succeed in having the NS respond to program change over USB ?

Fred
cookie
Patch Creator

Postby Berretje » 11 Sep 2019, 14:50

cookie wrote:Did anyone succeed in having the NS respond to program change over USB ?

Yes, but it was connected to an iPad using a camera connection cable.
I think you can't connect it directly to another keyboard (Kronos). It needs an USB host.

I hope someone can confirm.
Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection

>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!

Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper
Berretje

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby maxpiano » 11 Sep 2019, 16:03

Berretje wrote:
cookie wrote:Did anyone succeed in having the NS respond to program change over USB ?

Yes, but it was connected to an iPad using a camera connection cable.
I think you can't connect it directly to another keyboard (Kronos). It needs an USB host.

I hope someone can confirm.

Kronos can act as a MIDI USB host, it has an USB Type A input that accepts external MIDI USB Class Compliant devices, as NS2 is, but I don't know if it can send Program Changes to that port or only use them as a MIDI input.
Last edited by maxpiano on 11 Sep 2019, 16:06, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby cookie » 14 Sep 2019, 00:10

Someone reported the 2 way MIDI over USB working between my Kronos and my NS2 : need to have an USB hub (Type-A) to connect Type-B USB from both machine.
Will try with an adaptor so that I only have 1 cable Type-b to Type-B.

Fred
cookie
Patch Creator

Postby maxpiano » 14 Sep 2019, 14:26

cookie wrote:Someone reported the 2 way MIDI over USB working between my Kronos and my NS2 : need to have an USB hub (Type-A) to connect Type-B USB from both machine.
Will try with an adaptor so that I only have 1 cable Type-b to Type-B.

Fred

That would not work, two "Type B" (USB Devices) cannot talk to each other without a host and Kronos is a host only on its Type A USB input
Last edited by maxpiano on 14 Sep 2019, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby cookie » 16 Sep 2019, 14:28

After fiddling around, I come to the conclusion you just can't use both the MIDI/DIN and the MIDI/USB IN BIDIRECTIONAL mode without an external MIDI merging box.

I can use MIDI DIN in/out AND USB but this will be only Stage to other device for USB, nothing coming to the MIDI/USB on the Stage.
On my specific NS<>Kronos configuration, no easy possibility to MIDI soft thru on the K, so that I can play the Stage from my keytar thru the MIDI IN of the K (there is no specific MIDI assignment (DIN or USB) in the MIDI/Combi page, anyway).

Fred
cookie
Patch Creator

Postby maxpiano » 16 Sep 2019, 15:21

That doesn't sound right either, in your setup the only "?" for me (since I don't own it) is if Kronos can send Program Changes over USB to the Nord Stage 2 (which needs to have its Global Channel set as USBx, of course + Program Change receive enabled).

Then you can the assign the DualKeyb (or individual Sections/Slots) to a MIDIx channel for the keytar connected to the NS2 MIDI IN and play it, which has no influence on the USB connection with the Kronos.

Write down all MIDI settings on NS2 and check them.
Last edited by maxpiano on 16 Sep 2019, 15:24, edited 3 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby cookie » 16 Sep 2019, 21:55

Thanks MaxPiano.

The thing is I never succeeded in controlling the NS from the K using USB, therefore using the MIDI IN port on the NS to get the K play the NS.

Fred
cookie
Patch Creator

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum