Everything about the Clavia Nord Modular G2, G1, and Micromodular Synthesizers.

Help! my modular is dead?

Postby ruigato » 08 Jan 2013, 18:30

Hello,

my nord modular just got a strange behavior. I was playing a fixed note for resonance testing of a room, and the note stuck. I released the keyboard and it kept playing, while all the leds in the panel went off, and the LCD shows a strip of black squares on line1, and nothing on line2

after powercycling, the note went off, but the modular is inresponsive, and the LCD shows the same.

i've tried:

- powercycling
- connecting the Nomad editor, no response there, just an error message
- running the firmware upgrade tool under Windows, and it doesn't find any Nord Modular

any advices, other things i should try?

thank you,
Rui
ruigato

Help! my modular is dead?

Sponsor

Re: Help! my modular is dead?

Postby mjbrands » 08 Jan 2013, 21:58

My first suspicion would be a defect in the power supply. It seems to me that the main processor that controls MIDI, the display and the DSPs is somehow no longer working correctly. This could be because the power supply is not outputting stable voltages anymore at the required levels.

I think that the LCD display shows that line when it is not initialized; this to me makes it more likely the main processor (microcontroller) isn't even starting. This could be an issue with the flash that stores it's 'operating system', but flash chips generally don't die all of a sudden.

Do you happen to have a friend who's into electronics? If you do, that goy (or girl) could probably test if it is the power supply that went bad. If it did, they can probably pin point the component that went bad (probably a capacitor). If it is indeed the power supply that's the issue, it likely wouldn't even be that expensive or complicated (for someone into electronics) to fix.
mjbrands

Postby ruigato » 09 Jan 2013, 03:50

thank you mjbrands,
will try to find someone who can help me on the diagnostic, following your suggestions. I hope it really is the power supply that went bad. i forgot to mention in my previous post that i'm on a new location, so maybe your theory that the power source is the problem is correct
ruigato

Postby mjbrands » 09 Jan 2013, 05:39

Possible. If you went from 230 to 120 volt, you might've blown the fuse (but then the display wouldn't light up) or have damaged the power supply - the Nords do not automatically switch between 120 and 230 volt though this can be done manually. However, you seem to be living in Portugal, so it doesn't look like this is the case.

I think the power supply should work fine with 220, 230 and probably even 240 volt.

The power supply produces a number of voltages: +3.3V, -5V, +5V, -12V and +12V. Those could be checked with a multimeter. Ideally, someone would also check these power lines for glitches (dips, ripple, etc). The +/-12V is used by the output amplifiers, the +-/5V by the DAC and the electronics are running on 3.3 and 5 volt. I think the display is running of the 5V line, but it might also be 3.3. The microprocessor is running off the 5V line.

While the power supply of your modular will likely not be exactly the same, the last page of the document linked below might be interesting for the person checking out the power supply. I do expect your power supply to be fairly similar (maybe other voltage regulators, etc).

http://www.workhousepoets.com/NE2%20Ser ... matics.pdf

One thing you could still do yourself is check and/or replace the fuse. Since the display is lighting up it seems okay, but if you could measure it's resistance (multimeter) or replace it (300 mA slow-blow fuse for 120V, 125 mA slow-blow for 230V) that would be good. If you can't get the exact value, you could get one slightly 'larger' (i.e. 150 mA instead of 125). The physical size is likely 5x30 mm, but it might also be 6x32 mm. The opening of the fuse holder can be seen on the back of your Nord, next to the power supply connector. You probably have the type where you use a flat-headed screwdriver to open it. I think you need to turn it counter-clockwise and you definitely do not have to use a lot of force. You might have to push on the screwdriver a bit while you're turning it. It is not that likely to be an issue with the fuse though, so you might as well skip this.
Last edited by mjbrands on 09 Jan 2013, 05:41, edited 3 times in total.
mjbrands

Postby ruigato » 09 Jan 2013, 11:45

i've contacted a friend of mine that is into electronics, and he will be looking into it as soon as possible. will give him the schematics you linked for reference, in advance

meanwhile, i will open the modular, search for any signs of failed capacitors, and inspect the power source, but only for any 'visual' hints :)

thank you very much for your fast help!
ruigato

Postby mjbrands » 09 Jan 2013, 21:09

I hope you're visually able to find something, but the chance is fairly big you won't. While a leaking/swollen electrolytic capacitor is pretty easy to spot, capacitors can also start going bad with giving you any visual clues.

I hope you get it fixed soon. If it turns out to be the power supply that's broken and that it (the power supply) cannot be repaired, you can probably buy a replacement via the Clavia distributor or a repair center in Portugal. I doubt it couldn't be repaired though, if it is broken. Hopefully it's some cheap part, so it will only cost you some beers or a nice meal :D
mjbrands

Postby Andromeus » 28 Oct 2014, 13:39

Hello Rui, it's almost two years ago you reported the problem with your Modular G2. It looks like I have the same symptoms of malfunctioning my Modular, see: nord-modular-forum-f24/nord-modular-g2-dead-not-starting-please-help-t7696.html
Do you have some tips to repair it? Have you been successful in finding the cause and in repair work? I appreciate any help from you or somebody else here...
Last edited by Andromeus on 28 Oct 2014, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
Andromeus

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular

Postby pablomastodon » 28 Oct 2014, 16:43

Hi Andromeus,

It is likely that your Nord will need to pay a visit to a qualified service shop. Whatever is ailing your G2 is not likely to be cured without an expert's hands being laid upon it.

Also, note the Rui has not visited this forum since January of 2013, about two weeks after he joined.

Bless,

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Return to Nord Modular Forum