Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Nord Lead 1 Rack No Sound - problem solved!

Postby modularfreak » 03 Sep 2014, 01:29

Hello,

I have 2 NL1 Rack and 1 NL1 keyboard. All of them got the OS 2.7.

The NL1 keyboard works perfectly fine whereas both NL1 Rack have problems:
- one doesn´t respond to MIDI at all (even if I use the same MIDI settings I use on the keyboard version), so I cannot check it further
- the other one only outputs small "plops" instead of any sounds
Sounds are changed visually when changing presets but still no sound but "plops" when connected to a MIDI keyboard and triggered by keys. In manual mode all trials to change a setting have no effect, i. e. knobs seem to do nothing though there is MIDI activity on the MIDI output when tweaking knobs.

Maybe someone has an idea!?

Thanks

Frank
Last edited by modularfreak on 20 Oct 2014, 19:43, edited 2 times in total.
modularfreak

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Nord Lead 1 Rack No Sound - problem solved!

Sponsor

Re: Nord Lead 1 Rack No Sound

Postby RedLeo » 03 Sep 2014, 03:22

It's extremely unlikely you would have two faulty Lead racks at the same time. it's quite possibly a problem with your either synth settings or your MIDI channel assignments. One thing to check is whether you're sending actually sending MIDI to the same Slot that you're trying to play or edit.
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby modularfreak » 04 Sep 2014, 00:16

The interesting thing is that the Nord Lead 1 keyboard perfectly works with exactly the same MIDI settings, i. e. it can be played by another MIDI keyboard! I used several MIDI keyboards with the same results (I tried all MIDI channels as well).

My idea is that the 2.7 OS eproms might be bad (my tech burnt them while I was on site and we explicitly compared them with the original 2.7 eprom with no fault). I don´t remember if I successfully played both NL1Rs after that os update. Both definitely worked flawlessly before.

You can change sounds and those changes are visually reflected by different led settings AND controller movements are sent out as MIDI data. That might sound like a good eprom os.

Afaik there is not much to try out with MIDI channel assignments on the NL1 besides MIDI channel per slot and global MIDI. Maybe I miss something?
modularfreak

Postby modularfreak » 13 Sep 2014, 23:32

Today I did further checking and found out that all ROM (!) performances are corrupted. While checking the individual performances A0-L9 I always get ".0." as the program number...and not 01-99.

Question is where are the ROM performances saved?
modularfreak

Postby pablomastodon » 14 Sep 2014, 04:32

Perhaps you want to try swapping eeproms between the two instruments -- if the problem follows the eeprom, you have your answer. We'll be interested to learn how this works out....

Bless,

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby modularfreak » 20 Oct 2014, 19:42

Hi Pablo,

my tech incorrectly read the eprom (software version 2.7) into his burning software from my Nord Lead 1 keyboard by choosing the wrong eprom size...after that he obviously burnt 2 eproms for my NL1Rs from this "image" that only had part of the os on it (which perfectly explains the strange behavior that not everything didn´t work).

Recently I went to him a second time, we double checked, found the issue (see above) and now everything is perfectly working.

Really strange experience...now i am playing more than ever with my NL1s.

Many thanks for your support.
Last edited by modularfreak on 20 Oct 2014, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

The author modularfreak was thanked by:
RedLeo
modularfreak

Re: Nord Lead 1 Rack No Sound - problem solved!

Postby biamp » 11 Jun 2018, 11:53

If anyone has a link for download the OS2.7 for my NR1 (now os2.3), then you can make at least 1 person very happy.
Nord doesn't sell this os anymore. Paying 30-40 euro for a unofficial eprom I rather do not.

You can share it here;
http://dbwbp.com/index.php/9-misc/37-synth-eprom-dumps
biamp

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum