The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Re: Swell/crescendo pedals connection with C2

Postby Yoshi » 18 Sep 2014, 10:53

tacitus wrote:Yes the Nord pedalkeys 27 does have an expression pedal, but as I say, it's effectively just a separate swell pedal that screws on to the pedalboard casing. There's a captive lead with a TRS plug that goes straight into the swell pedal socket on the back of the C1/C2/C2D. The midi lead from the pedals only sends the pedal actions to the organ via the 'bass pedal' MIDI-in socket on the back of the organ. MIDI and swell are completely separate. So a third-party pedalboard that sends everything as MIDI won't be able to alter the volume on the Nord unless it has an appropriate 'analogue out', for want of a better term, with the right characteristics to connect to the swell input on the organ. You need two cables, period. Which is sort of messy, but it does give more flexibility to use off the shelf swell pedals and pedal keyboards.

I was kind of hoping that the 1/4" socket on the board in Yoshi's photo does provide a 'proper' swell control compatible with the C2 but, unless there's another problem somewhere, it looks as if it doesn't. If only we had some tech info on the circuitry ...

Hi tacitus & guys,

I've recieved an email from the builder in Germany that reads as below; -

For the pedal i think you have all?! It can be that i have forgotten the electronic for the swells srry, see here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing (I'm afraid the description is all in German.)
The plug on the electronic is not an output it is an input. You have swells on the pedal.
The question was if we should put on the swells on the pedal such plugs for qour nord or if we should make midi for future hauptwerk.
So in the moment you can try to work with midi > nord
Or you must make 1/4”” plugs on the cables of the swells
I hope you can understand my bad description...

It sounds like the organ builder is trying to say my system should still work by simply connecting the parts through MIDI devices.

But, I was thinking - if I connect the Potentiometer jack on the MIDI device for swells and the swell pedal jack on the back of the keyboard with a TRS to Dual 1/4" TS cable or something, it may work...
I'll let you know if this works when I get the cable.

If it still doesn't work, I might simply bite the bullet and get a Yamaha's FC7 Volume Pedal or something, and try to directly attach it to C2!

Josh
Attachments
Midi-Matrix.pdf
MIDI for swells specs
(159.8 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
Yoshi

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2

Sponsor

Postby tacitus » 18 Sep 2014, 20:57

Actually. I bought an FC7 recently as it's awkward carting the Nord swell pedal about and the FC7 fits neatly into the music stand section of the Nord soft case. Most people seem toi think the Yamaha is one of the best pedals - I've got the Boss one (out on loan as it happens) which looks and feels indestructible, the Yamaha, slightly less substantial but not to be messed with, and the Nord, which is some way behind in the solidity stakes. All work well, and of course you can configure the Nord to work optimally with any of those pedals.

If you get the pedalboard absolutely right for Hauptwerk, the Yamaha will solve your Nord swell issue and if you want to move it on later, I think you'd get a good chunk of your outlay back if it's in good nick.
tacitus

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2D

Postby Yoshi » 20 Sep 2014, 03:43

tacitus wrote:I've got the Boss one (out on loan as it happens) which looks and feels indestructible, the Yamaha, slightly less substantial but not to be messed with, and the Nord, which is some way behind in the solidity stakes. All work well, and of course you can configure the Nord to work optimally with any of those pedals.

Hi tacitus,
To be honest, I was wondering which makers are more popular among organists... I didn't even know the manufacturer you mentioned: Boss. (I was thinking of Yamaha, Roland and Hammond, etc.) So, have you got something like Boss FV-500H? I'll definitely take a note of that - thanks for the information!
Last edited by Yoshi on 20 Sep 2014, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.
Yoshi

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2

Postby Six-string-man » 20 Sep 2014, 11:34

You need the Boss FV-500L for keyboards. The "H" model is for guitars.

SSM
Six-string-man

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Previous

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum