Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Midi note numbers in relation to sequencers

Postby SteeplyInclined » 23 Jun 2014, 22:03

HI

Testing ND2 and Nord Pad with various software sequencers such as Reaper and Cubase. Just interested to know where fellow ND2 users set there midi note numbers.. My manual says ND2 note numbers are shipped assigned at 60, 62, 64, 65, 67, and 69...In my version of Cubase for example if I hit pad 1 it midi-records on octave C3 (60) in the key editor but in midi note tables number 60 is C4..Which I 'think' is what Reaper does, .and... how does all this relate to pitch settings within ND2..I am wanting to know this so as to know where to input the best placed drum sounds in terms of frequency when mixing down..
any help much appreciated..
SteeplyInclined

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 2

Midi note numbers in relation to sequencers

Sponsor

Re: Midi note numbers in relation to sequencers

Postby wartaler » 24 Jun 2014, 00:13

Hi!
just to be sure:

Global MIDI channel:
With the listed note numbers (60, etc.) you can play the different Channels (sounds) of your ND2 using the global MIDI channel. So if the global MIDI channel is 10 and you play note #60 you will hear the sound programmed on Channel#1 of your ND2, play note #62 and you'll hear Ch.2 etc - but when you play notes not in the list*, you'll hear nothing
*Remark: you can change these notes in the MIDI menu, but this will only change the MIDI notes the unit reacts to when you use the global MIDI channel, not the pitch of the sound - the pitch of the sounds in this method is as set in the Tone section for each of the 6 channels

Individual MIDI channels:
For each of the 6 Channels of the ND2 you can also assign an individual MIDI channel if you like
E.g. you can assign MIDI channel 3 to Channel 4 (why not..) of the ND2, If you then play notes through MIDI channel 3, you will hear Channel 4, - and the pitch now depends on the notes played (!)
If you then play note #60 on MIDI channel 3, the pitch of you'll hear will correspond to the pitch set in the Tone section of Channel 4, if this pitch is set to value 60, you'll actually hear a C when you play a C, and a D when you play a D

It's a good idea to use a different MIDI channel for any of the indiv.channels than the Global MIDI channel

For more details on pitch control check : nord-drum-forum-f27/how-can-i-program-the-pitch-changing-in-external-midi-sequen-t6570.html

Hope this helps
Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 26 Jun 2014, 08:33, edited 4 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby SteeplyInclined » 24 Jun 2014, 11:03

Cheers Albert,
yes and thanks ,,,helpful explanation of the differences between using the midi global channel and assigning individual midi channels to ND2 channels from within a sequencer. I prefer to use the latter myself for the very reasons you stated,especially 'and the pitch now depends on the notes played (!).'
Not used a keyboard yet to trigger drum notes just the Nord Pad and programming notes in the key editor in software. ..
Gonna see how low a pitch/note/freq I can get for a kick drum that would be powerful in a mix but be relevant to what most speakers can handle.
Nord Drum 2...love it !!!
SteeplyInclined

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 2

Postby wartaler » 24 Jun 2014, 21:11

Ok great!
Yeah, I often use keyboard as example, but as you figured, anything that outputs MIDI notes, including sequencers, etc etc
The second method -assigning individual MIDI channel(s)- is useful when you want to program/play pitch changes of a sound of one Channel during a song, Uses could be: bass synth, melodies with 'tuned percussion', or get some pitch variation in a snare sound
Have fun experimenting and playing!!
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Return to Nord Drum Forum