Nord Stage 2 mono output

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
Alejandro081277
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Nord Stage 2 mono output

Post by Alejandro081277 »

Hi all, can someone tell me what is the best way to get the 2 stage amplifier for piano?, As though putting mono output does not hear quite right pianos.
Maybe someone can tell me an idea of ​​how best to amplify.
Thank you!!
Mr_-G-

Re: Nord Stage 2 mono output

Post by Mr_-G- »

Try using only one of the outputs and leave it in stereo mode. That way you would avoid some phase cancellation in some of the stereo samples.
OBDave
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Post by OBDave »

Actually there is no phase cancellation in mono mode - when you engage mono, the Nord does the correct thing with the APs and effects.
FunKey
Patch Creator

Post by FunKey »

OBDave wrote:Actually there is no phase cancellation in mono mode - when you engage mono, the Nord does the correct thing with the APs and effects.
I wish...
Mr_-G-

Post by Mr_-G- »

Clavia recently clarified that in Mono mode, for certain piano samples, the central part of the keyboard has some unavoidable phase cancellation (and this is what some users have noted too).
For the synth section (samples) there is also potential phase cancellation when engaging Mono (of course depending on the sample). Here is an extreme example to show the effect (when engaging Mono, you do not hear any sound!)
http://www.norduserforum.com/nord-piano ... ml?#p31734
OBDave
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Post by OBDave »

Right, it all comes down to the sample. The 180-degrees out of phase sample is an extreme case, and it's not a fair test. There's no way to sum that to mono. However, I run my NS2 in mono all the time, and with the pianos I'm using, I'm not hearing the same sorts of comb-filter artifacts in mono that I did with my old Generalmusic RP-X module, for example. The Generalmusic Realpiano I had prior to that sounded fine in mono.

Here's why: if the original sample was recorded in stereo using the M-S mic technique, that mixes to mono cleanly with no artifacts, and I am guessing that most if not all of the Nord AP samples were recorded that way. Samples recorded X-Y are totally unplayable when summed to mono.
Last edited by OBDave on 28 Mar 2014, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_-G-

Post by Mr_-G- »

OBDave wrote:Right, it all comes down to the sample.
Well, to some extent yes, and also to what is done with the sound afterwards.
If (as the Keyboard Magazine review claimed) there is some magical processing that avoids phase cancellation, I would expect that at least that extreme example would sound a bit differently than just adding R+L. It doesn't.

Recently Clavia replied this to one user:
http://www.norduserforum.com/post41043. ... ion#p41043

I believe this "middle range" issue is what a few people have noted. And maybe the synth section deals with the mono button differently.
I think that the vast majority of their samples are superb when heard in stereo, but I note a difference when using the mono button.
Using only one channel could avoid the middle cancellation at the expense of a difference in relative volume across the keyboard, depending which channel you choose to amplify.

Whether people in an audience would hear a difference is another thing. Some might not even notice a piano! :D