Comments, suggestions, questions about this forum? Post it here! Also for test purposes or Off-Topic discussions.

Getting back into it after serious injury

Postby Mickrick » 30 May 2013, 18:42

Hi All. This is my first visit to the forums in a year or so. Around this time last year the band I play with, The Back Issues (check us out on youtube), were flying pretty high. We had just played our most prestige gig to date at the holy grail of British venues, The Cavern in Liverpool and requests were coming in for us to play at other venues around Britain and Ireland.

Then tragedy struck. I was making my way to work on my Vespa along the route I have been taking every day for years. It was a glorious early summer morning and I had let the usual rush hour traffic die down before setting out. Mine was the only vehicle for as far as I could see both in front and behind me. Coming to an offslip, I slowed down and indicated to merge with the traffic to my right to continue my journey. Another driverin the lane I was merging with flashed me in and before pulling out, I did my lifesaver over my right shoulder just in time to see a car inches from me and in no hurry to slow down. I just had time to think "Oo-er, I'm a goner here", then hearing and feeling the impact and the last thing I remember was seeing the floor of my scooter in front of my face and thinking "what is that doing there" before coming round in the middle of the road.

To cut a very long story short, I had a fractured spine along with other spinal and muscularskeletal injuries. As yoou can imagine, I haven't played since.

Now I'm about ready to start practicing again (in mky own home, not our rehearsal room - yet!). Its going to be a long, painful, drawn-out recovery but I'm determined to pick up where I left off. And its great to be back here again.

Now, its time to hunt down a few sounds...
Mickrick

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Getting back into it after serious injury

Sponsor

Re: Getting back into it after serious injury

Postby shark » 30 May 2013, 19:47

I hear you mate. 6 years ago I cut both my hands and my right wrist while catching falling glass from a broken window (I know...how dumb was that?) severed three ligaments in my right arm and couldn't move my thumb or wrist. Took a while but I made it back to music, couldn't live without it. So welcome back to you.
shark
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Postby Marlowes » 30 May 2013, 20:06

Welcome back, Mickrick! Great to hear from you! Good luck with your recuperation. :clap:

Just got my sight back on my left eye after an operation. Retina was falling off, due to passing my "best-before-date". Still can't read sheet music. Never could. 8-)
Last edited by Marlowes on 30 May 2013, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
NE3HP, NP88, NS2, DPP1, NL2X, NL2X, NLA1, NL4, NE5D, NW2 (Collect Them All?), some classic Rolands, Arturias, a Waldorf, a Kurz, a WONOK3, a pile of guitars, a P-bass, loopers, amps and computers ...
I'm a gearslut! :oops:
Marlowes
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Postby Mickrick » 30 May 2013, 22:37

Thanks guys. The best part was when I asked the doctor if I would be able to play the piano. He said "of course". "Great"I replied, "I wasn't able to play it before". It's the way I tell 'em.
Mickrick

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Postby mjbrands » 30 May 2013, 22:48

:lol:
mjbrands

Return to Off Topic / About this Forum