Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Using Slots A and B on Nord Wave

Postby bootch » 22 Jan 2013, 15:20

Hello Wave users,
recently I decided to change my old Lead 2X for Wave being sure that this would be the final solution and there would be no need to buy any other synthesizer in my life :keyboard2:
However after a few weeks I am a bit disappointed :|
I cannot find similar sounds that I had been using on Lead 2X. Especially I have problems using the two slots A and B. Is it possible to mix 2 different sounds = to have one sound in SLOT A and a different sound (different program) in SLOT B? Or is it always that you have the same program in both slots and the only difference you can make is a different modulation of the same original sound?
And another question.. I couldnt believe my eyes when I realised that it doesnt have a split function (such a simple thing that is used in keyboards for 100 EUR). Is there any way how to substitute the missing split? I am sure that I am not the only one trying to solve this matter...

Thank you all for any kind of help.

:yourock:
bootch

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Using Slots A and B on Nord Wave

Sponsor

Re: Using Slots A and B on Nord Wave

Postby mjbrands » 22 Jan 2013, 19:02

bootch wrote:Especially I have problems using the two slots A and B. Is it possible to mix 2 different sounds = to have one sound in SLOT A and a different sound (different program) in SLOT B? Or is it always that you have the same program in both slots and the only difference you can make is a different modulation of the same original sound?

The slots are completely separate, so you can definitely have different sounds in them. I don't have a Wave anymore so I can't check, but it forgot whether you selected sounds (programs) per slot or selected both at the same time. You can certainly copy slots from other sounds, so you could modify program 1:1 and copy slot A from program 1:2 and slot B from program 1:3.

You'll need to check the manual for the details.

bootch wrote:And another question.. I couldnt believe my eyes when I realised that it doesnt have a split function (such a simple thing that is used in keyboards for 100 EUR). Is there any way how to substitute the missing split? I am sure that I am not the only one trying to solve this matter...

This is a bit unfortunate, yeah. In-the-box there is no work-around, you'd have to use an external (MIDI) solution. For example, you could create something that takes a MIDI note message (generated when you press a key) and that sends it to either slot A or B based on where on the keyboard that note was.
mjbrands

Postby bootch » 23 Jan 2013, 00:01

Thank you for the info... I dont have the Wave with me at the moment, but feeling a bit better when I know that at least the two slots can be used independently (to mix sounds from different programs).

However, I did not get the second answer... can you explain once again pls? "For example, you could create something that takes a MIDI note message (generated when you press a key) and that sends it to either slot A or B based on where on the keyboard that note was."
bootch

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby Dieguet » 23 Jan 2013, 18:45

Hi Bootch
I have a Wave and I can give info
First, you can use slot A and slot B with complete different sounds, as If you had two synths with two oscillators each, also you can change between slot A and slot B without abrupt cuts in the sound, or you can use both slots together and you can have a sound with four oscillators.
Altough there is no split point, but there are three options to get it
- with an external keyboard triggering one of the slots (you need to do some settings in the MIDI section of the Wave)
- using the Nord sample editor you can create a sample with two sounds splitted (check the manual) and then donwload it to the Wave
- by using the Morph section of the Wave, for example, if you have a program that slot A is a Bass and slot B is a Pad,
you first set the output volume you want for the Bass, then double tap the Keyboard button in the Morph section, and set the output volume to zero, then tap once the Keyboard button and the setting is done,
then go to slot B, set the volume to zero, double tap the Keyboard button and then set the output volume you want for the pad, finally tap once the keyboard button. It is not exact as a split point but give it a try.
Diego

The author Dieguet was thanked by:
bootch
Dieguet
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby mjbrands » 23 Jan 2013, 20:11

bootch wrote:However, I did not get the second answer... can you explain once again pls? "For example, you could create something that takes a MIDI note message (generated when you press a key) and that sends it to either slot A or B based on where on the keyboard that note was."

This is pretty much a variation on the first of the three options Diego lists.

Instead of using an external keyboard, you'd use the keyboard of the Wave but you'd turn Local Control (see the MIDI setting menu) off. You'd then run a cable from MIDI OUT to the input of some smart MIDI device and a cable from the output of that MIDI device back to the MIDI IN port on the Wave.

That 'smart' MIDI device would most likely be a computer, so probably not that convenient for live gigs. Technically it could also be some stand-alone MIDI device, but I know of none that can do that.

Edit: I forgot about this thing - http://mutable-instruments.net/midipal . It would also provide an arpeggiator and some other neat things for your Wave. You could for instance use the simple step sequencer to play accompaniment on slot B while you're playing on slot A.

If using a computer, you'd for example use a DAW like Cubase to receive the MIDI from the Wave, modify it and send it back to the Wave. Alternative utilities could also be used. For example, I think MIDI-OX (a free utility for Windows) could also do this.
Last edited by mjbrands on 23 Jan 2013, 20:16, edited 2 times in total.
mjbrands

Postby TrueTone500 » 27 Jan 2013, 03:20

I just received a MidiPal last week. I was messing with it today, and it works great!
TrueTone500

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

Postby mjbrands » 27 Jan 2013, 03:38

Hmm, might need to get one myself.
mjbrands

Postby okkopekka » 25 Feb 2017, 17:13

Hi! I was thinking of getting a NW. Can it do the following:
Slot A having a normal piano sound, slot B having distorted lead. Then like playing some piano, sustaining a chord, then choosing the lead slot and continue playing :) ?
Thanks!
okkopekka

Postby ResonantMind » 26 Feb 2017, 17:35

okkopekka wrote:Hi! I was thinking of getting a NW. Can it do the following:
Slot A having a normal piano sound, slot B having distorted lead. Then like playing some piano, sustaining a chord, then choosing the lead slot and continue playing :) ?
Thanks!

Yes. You press both buttons to turn them on at once - dual a/b, and vice versa, if dual is on, press them both at once, and now you can select them individually.
ResonantMind

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

Postby Spider » 01 Mar 2017, 15:55

ResonantMind wrote:
okkopekka wrote:Hi! I was thinking of getting a NW. Can it do the following:
Thanks!

Yes. You press both buttons to turn them on at once - dual a/b, and vice versa, if dual is on, press them both at once, and now you can select them individually.

Or use the morph function (assigned to the wheel or to expression pedal) to fade the two sounds in and/or out at will.

The author Spider was thanked by:
pablomastodon
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Return to Nord Wave Forum